In Need of Some Lifting Advice

Since January of this year I have been following Mark Rippetoes starting strength program and without a doubt, has made me much stronger. Recently, however, I’ve decided that I want to aim for more hypertrophy and I understand that diet is the biggest part for mass gain however I’m not so great with what I should in terms of lifting. (Rep/set range etc and how to break up the lifting days)

Also, how could I determine my bodyfat % so that I know how much left I can lose?

Currently I’m 152 lbs and 5’10"

On another note, my cardio is good shape. I do HIIT training 3x a week and I box 4x a week.

You’re 5’10" and 150 pounds.

You don’t have bodyfat, go eat a burger and drink some milk.

maxes? pictures?

Ha - True - Time to eat boy!

All x5
Squat 205
Bench 145
Deadlift 175
Military Press 105
Powerclean 115

I think I have some fat left to lose…but i’ll get some pictures up.

Got some pictures

You don’t have fat to lose, you just don’t have the muscle to give your body any good definition. Lift heavy and eat more, and you’ll be good to go.

That’s what a figured. Could you give me some advice on a good routine?

I’ve been working on making this one

Tuesday
Horizontal Push-Pull
Bench & Row variations 4x6
Squat 5x5
Chin-ups 4x6
Abs

Thursday
Vertical Push/Pull
Military Press & Lat pull down variations 4x6
Deadlift 4x6
Chin-ups 4x6
Abs

Saturday
Power Clean 5x3
Incline Bench 4x6
wrist curl 3x10
Curls/skull crushers 3x10
Abs

You know, you have horizonat and vertical push-pull pairs, you’re squatting, benching, and deadlifting, and your volume looks ok, so go for it. Personally, I’d add squats to the beginning of your Saturday session if your recovery can handle it, they’re a great mass builder and as a beginner you should be fine with 2x a week.

The other option is to do something like WS4SB, or a 5x5 like Madcows. Even if you stick with your current routine, you might want to check them out to get some ideas. Eventually, you might to want to move to something like CT’s Beast Builder series, which focuses more on size then pure strength.

Alright will do. Wasn’t sure if I had too much already and I wanted to get all of compound exercises in.

Now, how do I figure out how much I should be eating?

Typical breakfast:
Protein Shake
-Scoop of whey powder
-Raw egg
-1 cup chocolate soy milk

2 egg cheese omelet
Large Florida Orange
Slice of whole wheat toast with butter

Multi-vitamin
Flax seed oil
Vitamin D tablet

Check out Massive Eating, that should give you a pretty good start. Also, try to avoid soy milk if you can. If you’re lactose intolerant, try rice milk instead of soy. Overall, your breakfast looks ok, maybe add some veggies and egg whites or more eggs to your omelet.

Holy fucking shit…

I need 5100 calories per day…

How the hell am I going to do that??

You absolutely don’t need to be eating 5100 calories daily.

In general when bulking you want to multiply your bodyweight in pounds by 20. So right now that is 3000.

The routine you made up looks like something you could use until you pass the sheer novice stage.

These are in lbs right? Gotta be…

[quote]Artigo wrote:
All x5
Squat 205
Bench 145
Deadlift 175
Military Press 105
Powerclean 115
[/quote]

I would flip onto another strength program and up the kcals as other people have been say then go for hypertrophy.

It was very well put that “who’s going to get a better hypertrophy worked the guy who can bench 200lb or the guy that can bench 150lbs?” (Cressey, I think)

[quote]mr popular wrote:
You absolutely don’t need to be eating 5100 calories daily.

In general when bulking you want to multiply your bodyweight in pounds by 20. So right now that is 3000.

The routine you made up looks like something you could use until you pass the sheer novice stage.[/quote]

What does an intermediate routine look like?

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
These are in lbs right? Gotta be…

Artigo wrote:
All x5
Squat 205
Bench 145
Deadlift 175
Military Press 105
Powerclean 115

I would flip onto another strength program and up the kcals as other people have been say then go for hypertrophy.

It was very well put that “who’s going to get a better hypertrophy worked the guy who can bench 200lb or the guy that can bench 150lbs?” (Cressey, I think)[/quote]

So you’re saying get stronger before going for size?

[quote]Artigo wrote:
Holy fucking shit…

I need 5100 calories per day…

How the hell am I going to do that??[/quote]

Yeah, Berardi… I never link to the first Massive Eating article, because I think it delivers too high a number.

A better number for total calories would be to multiply your bodyweight x20. So for you it’d be 3000. Then monitor your weight to make sure the scale is going up week by week. If it’s not… eat more (I bump in 500 kcal increments).

Intermediate routines look very much like beginner routines, just with more work devoted towards bringing up weak points.

The strength vs. size debate was had out repeatedly long before our time here. Suffice it to say that where your at, they’re pretty much the same thing. Do you personally know someone that can lift three or more plates but totally doesn’t look like it? Exactly.

Your routine looked good though. It should provide both. Which is good.

[quote]Artigo wrote:
What does an intermediate routine look like?[/quote]

It simply means youre at a level where you should be giving closer attention to your lifts and muscle groups, usually by splitting things up a little bit more.

For most people this is going to be either 2-way or 3-way split… think “upper/lower” or “push/pull/legs” something to that effect.

And Otep explained it perfectly when he said you aren’t going to find someone lifting 3 plates a side that doesn’t look the part. Training for hypertrophy simply means you’re training for strength gains in all of your muscle groups, while eating a diet that allows you to gain bodyweight.

Training solely for strength you would theoretically train almost exactly the same way except you wouldn’t eat enough food to gain weight. haha

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Artigo wrote:
What does an intermediate routine look like?

It simply means youre at a level where you should be giving closer attention to your lifts and muscle groups, usually by splitting things up a little bit more.

For most people this is going to be either 2-way or 3-way split… think “upper/lower” or “push/pull/legs” something to that effect.

And Otep explained it perfectly when he said you aren’t going to find someone lifting 3 plates a side that doesn’t look the part. Training for hypertrophy simply means you’re training for strength gains in all of your muscle groups, while eating a diet that allows you to gain bodyweight.

Training solely for strength you would theoretically train almost exactly the same way except you wouldn’t eat enough food to gain weight. haha[/quote]

yep, upper/lower or push/pull/legs are great options. I prefer legs/push/pull in order though.

funny, i prefer pull/push/legs!