T Nation

In Need of Help

Hey guys, I’ve been working out for a little while now, but can’t seem to achieve my goals. I want to gain some size all over my body, and I want to be shredded, and get rid of my flabby spots. I weigh 170lbs. I work out 5 times/week. Here is what I do:

Monday: Chest, Back, Abs, cardio, calves
Tuesday: Shoulders, Biceps, Abs, cardio
Wednesday: Abs, cardio, light leg workout
Thursday: Triceps, abs, cardio
Friday: Heavy Legs, light recap(chest, back, shoulders, biceps), and Abs

My diet is pretty well maintained:
Breakfast: Egg whites, 2 pieces wheat toast, bowl of whole grain cereal, cup of skim milk, fruit(apple)
Snack: Bagel
Lunch: Protein Shake
Dinner: Spinach salad, 2 chicken breasts, fruit, protein shake

Just wondering if I’m missing something in my training, or if my training style/sets are wrong or what. Thanks for any help!

Before anyone replies with god knows what kind of advice let me ask you this. (and yes, youre going to get a wide variety because there is really that much wrong with all you’ve said)

Why do you think you arent making progress? Seriously. What are your thoughts. Whatever they may be.

I’m thinking I am doing too much cardio, maybe not eating enough? I have no clue, that is why I am asking, lol.

[quote]kfitz wrote:
maybe not eating enough?[/quote]
Probably this.
I’m curious about something. Why do you do abs every day?

Pick a program that works (yours isnt miserable but its very bad). Like 5.3.1

Stick with that program and force yourself to make progress by eating properly and lifting as hard as you can.

Your diet sucks. Theres a decent chance that my sedentary grandmother gets more protein than you do on some days. But your main problem is having contrasting goals and trying to achieve them simultaneously. You clearly cant accomplish it. Pick one goal. Read about how to eat for that goal. Set a time frame for it and accomplish it.

Here’s what I eat for breakfast. I’m 5’7 185lbs and Im as lean as I am in my recent picture.

12oz whole milk
3 raw eggs
1/3 cup of oats
2 tbs peanut butter
60g whey
1-2 tbs extra light olive oil
frozen berries
ice cubes
all put in a blender

It’s almost more calories than your entire day. That comes out to about a third of my daily calories. Maybe a bit less I dont know exactly.

Ok man, thanks. I’ve been reading a bit; you’re right. Is it bad to do abs every day? One trainer told me that it is actually better to do them every day, lol. Ohh boy, lots of work to do, but I love it.

I wouldnt do them everyday. But its not a problem if youre doing it at the end. Change up what you do though.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Pick a program that works (yours isnt miserable but its very bad). Like 5.3.1

Stick with that program and force yourself to make progress by eating properly and lifting as hard as you can.

Your diet sucks. Theres a decent chance that my sedentary grandmother gets more protein than you do on some days. But your main problem is having contrasting goals and trying to achieve them simultaneously. You clearly cant accomplish it. Pick one goal. Read about how to eat for that goal. Set a time frame for it and accomplish it.

Here’s what I eat for breakfast. I’m 5’7 185lbs and Im as lean as I am in my recent picture.

12oz whole milk
3 raw eggs
1/3 cup of oats
2 tbs peanut butter
60g whey
frozen berries
ice cubes
all put in a blender

It’s almost more calories than your entire day. That comes out to about a third of my daily calories. Maybe a bit less I dont know exactly. [/quote]

For anyone curious, WITHOUT even counting the 60g of whey (whey protein? whey? idk, didnt try to figure it out) and the berries, thats roughly 970 calories, 43g protein, 72g fat, and 41 carbs.

Yes it’s whey protein.

Holy Shit Bonez!
You are my hero! How many calories a day do you manage to chug down?

@OP - I eat more than that and I am losing fat with that. I hope you are not trying to build on that diet. And, if you are shedding fat, why the bagel? You have too little fat in your diet. Maybe enough protein, I dont know.
And only 4 meals. If your schedule is busy, you could try eating nuts like me. They are healthy fat, and certainly better than a bagel loaded with carbs… And you can eat them while you do your work.

Also, why not oats instead of the cereal? I used to eat oat based cereal, and felt hungry in an hour. For the same calories, oats keep me really full, and I have to almost force myself to eat my second meal on time.
How is your post workout nutrition like?

You should to abs after big lifts like squats or deadlifts because tired abs can hinder your performance in said lifts. Nuts are a good idea too. And steak.

A Dan John program + GOMAD

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
A Dan John program + GOMAD[/quote]

LOL, way to tailor your generic response to the individual poster.

After reading the OP, do you honestly think this kid is going to be able to deal with the bodyfat gains that come with GOMAD?

[quote]Fat Bastard. wrote:
Holy Shit Bonez!

[/quote]

I maintain 185lbs at around 3300 calories.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Fat Bastard. wrote:
Holy Shit Bonez!

[/quote]

I maintain 185lbs at around 3300 calories. [/quote]

OK, just out of curiosity because the way you do breakfast (while not new to me, the “throw lots of shit in a blender approach” that is) - what whey are you using? I don’t care for brand name, but its gotta be flavored - does chocolate throw the whole thing off? Vanilla to be less offensive?

I can do everything else easy, just wanted to get the whey right - thats a decent amount of whey given the volume of everything else, so using an offensive flavor would throw it all to hell.

I’m using natural Grow! right now, shouldn’t be too bad but wondered if you did anything different.
Also, my bad if it sounds like I’m on your nuts.

Chocolate 50/50 whey concentrate whey isolate. Banana Metabolic Drive would be good too.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

12oz whole milk
3 raw eggs
1/3 cup of oats
2 tbs peanut butter
60g whey
frozen berries
ice cubes
all put in a blender

It’s almost more calories than your entire day. That comes out to about a third of my daily calories. Maybe a bit less I dont know exactly. [/quote]

I almost threw up til I saw the all blended part.

Blenders are your friends!

[quote]tw2battl2 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

12oz whole milk
3 raw eggs
1/3 cup of oats
2 tbs peanut butter
60g whey
frozen berries
ice cubes
all put in a blender

I almost threw up til I saw the all blended part.[/quote]

Its actually not so bad, I do it with 2x the pb and an extra tbsp of EVOO (3tbsp is 1 shot glass, easier to measure) and I get 30oz of liquid. I fill a 24oz shaker cup and drink the last 6oz straight out of the blender.

The only problem I’ve had in the past is with the oil. For me it seems to come out just as fast as it goes in.