In Need of Advice

OK so I am currently 17 years old, and no, before I get major abuse, I am not really considering AAS usage, just need some concise advice.

Since I was 12 I have been messing around with weights and for the last 3 years or so I have been lifting seriously with a main goal of achieving a huge strength and power for my size, and I mainly concentrate on a powerlifting style.

I have recently won several competitions, and easily with PBs of: -Bench 120kg @ 68kg
-Squat 165kg @ 68kg
-Deadlift 215kg @ 68kg

I have a slightly weird build - my arms are quite long compared to my torso and legs and reach to my knees when I leave them at my sides and I’m told this is why my deadlift is so heavy. My coach has now been telling me that I could be very very very good on a high level, but to do that I have to use AAS and that other people my age already are, and that it has to be now otherwise they will be too far ahead of me.

So I decided to research AAS and it has become quite clear to me that the risk of permanent damage to the endocrine system is high at my age, not to mention all the psychological effects. I am not hugely concerned about the aspect of stunted growth as I am already taller than my father (who is 5"6) and mother (5"4), yes my family are midgets, and honestly, from a powerlifting perspective getting taller may be detrimental to my progress.

So I said this to my coach and he assures me that with proper guidance from him and proper PCT, AIs, etc that I will be fine and will regain my natural test production, however I have begun to suspect he may not have my health at the top of his priority list. I do want to succeed and improve, however at 17 I do not think it’s worth completely messing up my hormones over.

So my question is, in your opinion, is it possible to use AAS in a sensible dosage at my age with minimal lasting effect on the endocrine system? I understand advice to the contrary is normally given to people of my age asking this question, but as far as I understand the long term effects are usually caused by use of more suppressive AAS or by lack of PCT, etc.

And I do understand you may tell me to go away simply because of my lack of posts but this is not a troll or anything of the sort, I’m just finding it hard to make such a decision and am in dire need of advice from people with experience of these things.

Thanks.

you might use and be fine, or it might cause you all sorts of problems. No one can know for sure. You just have to decide if it’s worth the risk

[quote]Jayo wrote:
OK so I am currently 17 years old, and no, before I get major abuse, I am not really considering AAS usage, just need some concise advice.

Since I was 12 I have been messing around with weights and for the last 3 years or so I have been lifting seriously with a main goal of achieving a huge strength and power for my size, and I mainly concentrate on a powerlifting style.

I have recently won several competitions, and easily with PBs of: -Bench 120kg @ 68kg
-Squat 165kg @ 68kg
-Deadlift 215kg @ 68kg

I have a slightly weird build - my arms are quite long compared to my torso and legs and reach to my knees when I leave them at my sides and I’m told this is why my deadlift is so heavy. My coach has now been telling me that I could be very very very good on a high level, but to do that I have to use AAS and that other people my age already are, and that it has to be now otherwise they will be too far ahead of me.

So I decided to research AAS and it has become quite clear to me that the risk of permanent damage to the endocrine system is high at my age, not to mention all the psychological effects. I am not hugely concerned about the aspect of stunted growth as I am already taller than my father (who is 5"6) and mother (5"4), yes my family are midgets, and honestly, from a powerlifting perspective getting taller may be detrimental to my progress.

So I said this to my coach and he assures me that with proper guidance from him and proper PCT, AIs, etc that I will be fine and will regain my natural test production, however I have begun to suspect he may not have my health at the top of his priority list. I do want to succeed and improve, however at 17 I do not think it’s worth completely messing up my hormones over.

So my question is, in your opinion, is it possible to use AAS in a sensible dosage at my age with minimal lasting effect on the endocrine system? I understand advice to the contrary is normally given to people of my age asking this question, but as far as I understand the long term effects are usually caused by use of more suppressive AAS or by lack of PCT, etc.

And I do understand you may tell me to go away simply because of my lack of posts but this is not a troll or anything of the sort, I’m just finding it hard to make such a decision and am in dire need of advice from people with experience of these things.

Thanks.[/quote]

You’re 17 and have a coach that’s advising to take steroids, that’s some irreponisble shit the guy needs a good slap in the face.

DO NOT listen to this fucking idiot. Get a new coach, stop “messing around” with weights and take it seriously. Come back after seven years of solid training and eating and then you can consider it. You may decide in that time that you’re not that into weights after all and end up doing something else. If that ends up being the case you will regret it even more if you do them now and suffer lasting consequences.

[quote]MassiveGuns wrote:

[quote]Jayo wrote:

-Squat 165kg @ 68kg
-Deadlift 215kg @ 68kg

Thanks.[/quote]

You’re 17 and have a coach that’s advising to take steroids, that’s some irreponisble shit the guy needs a good slap in the face.

DO NOT listen to this fucking idiot. Get a new coach, stop “messing around” with weights and take it seriously. Come back after seven years of solid training and eating and then you can consider it. You may decide in that time that you’re not that into weights after all and end up doing something else. If that ends up being the case you will regret it even more if you do them now and suffer lasting consequences.
[/quote]

You clearly did not see the part of the paragraph that said I have been lifting with a clear powerlifting goal for 3 years, whereas before that I have been “messing around” since 12. By messing around I mean 3-4 times a week with your usual ‘bro’ bodybuilding split and a mediocore diet. For the last three years, my diet, supplementation and training has been meticulous, and I train sometimes twice per day, so “messing around” isn’t really a fair term.

However, I do agree with you and after getting more advice from other people with experience of AAS, I have definitely resolved not to use AAS.

I think you misunderstood the whole point of the post - even after the pressure from my coach, I had still little or no intention of AAS use, and was only inquiring to confirm my opinion rather than saying I am seriously debating use or am set on it.

But thanks for the replies.

Your coach is an asshat. As you are well aware, you are risking permanent health issues. The reward though is minimal. If you were in a sport that actually paid well, i.e. your sport earnings generate sufficient lifetime wealth just from the sport then I could at least understand.

Congratulations on your lifts so far and you come across a very mature for your age. I expect you will do well in whatever you choose in life.

you seem like a smart enough kid and thats just based on the fact you did a little research unlike many other retards that come on forums and ask the same sort of deal. so eat, eat, eat, train, eat more. I will tell you from someone who started running gear at 20. my shit got fucked and its not fun im not even going to go into it but i will tell you that if my son were your age and his coach told him that i would beat the fucking shit out of his coach.

stupid motherfuckers like that need to be tits up in a ditch. your 17 you have many years ahead of great natty test production, utilize it. either way if hes dumb enough to suggest you running gear i wouldnt trust this ass clowns cycle or pct because he obviously does not have your best interest in mind.

At 17, you are young. Wait till you are 19 or better 20. On the other hand, If you want to make a living out of powerlifting, start them now.

Ok man let talk about this from a long term benefit. Forget the whole young age and health issues for a minute and lets just look at your options.

At 150lbs your not done growing, height isn’t always a factor. You will most likely fill out, grow and find a natural body weight. Give your body time to do this before you pump foreign drugs into your system.

Its great that you won some comp’s but as soon as you get placed in another age or weight class your lifts mean absolutely dick.

Don’t worry about your build, it all evens out in a full meet. Guys with long arms still gotta bench, good short arm benchers still gotta pull. We all got dealt a certain “body type” at birth so think of your body like a soldier. " This is what I have a my disposal, now how can I do the most damage with it". That mentality alone will get you a long way.

As far as your coach goes remember they have to build their resumes as well. They get a check in the box for every championship, 500+ season and claim credit for every athlete that gets picked up by a college. Just because there a coach doesn’t mean their good people. Most are mind you but its just like any other profession. There are good cops and bad cops, good priest and bad ones is all I’m saying.
He cares about your performance right now, not 7 years from now.

Now that all that BS is out of the way we can get to the real factor. When to flip the drug card?

As long as you can stay competitive in PL as you move along don’t pull your Ace card! I mean why? Let all those other dumb fucks get hurt and peak early. They will be here today and gone tomorrow. When you get to a certain point where your no longer competitive at 23 or 25 then its time to use the ace card you’ve been so preciously waiting for.

Im not going to lie AAS is awesome but hold out as long as you can, trust me you will look back and be glad you did. Keep lifting heavy and feel free to come over to the powerlifting forum as well.

id say your health is defiantly not top of your coaches priorities…
id say think long and hard and then think some more your 17 plenty of time for that.

OK thanks everyone for the replies, especially “tattoo’d’popeye” for the powerlifting perspective.

My conclusion is that although, possibly, I may never reach the upper levels of powerlifting without the use of AAS, it is still not worth the pretty much inevitable physical damage. The purpose of this post and my research was to find out whether it was at all possible to use AAS at my age without permanent damage and my conclusion is that it simply is not.

So I will continue to train and diet and improve my lifts as much as possible, and hopefully progress as much as possible. I also intend to try and gain some size as well as my powerlifting goals, as it seems to me that to really succeed AAS usage is almost necessary and that is not something I am interested in, at least for the foreseeable future.

Thanks again for the replies.