T Nation

In Need of a Scientific Explanation

Ok I know that interval training works. Thats not what I am asking about. My prof who is an excersise physiologist made the point in class that because the aerobic system is the only system that uses BOTH glucouse and free fatty acids to make ATP, its the system to tain to loose bodyfat, and that training anaerobicly will not have that effect.

He is a bright guy so I know he isn’t just making this up. So like I said I know iterverals etc. work. What are the physiological reasons for this? Also any studies to back this type of training? I want some ammo when I go back to class to debate the point.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
Ok I know that interval training works. Thats not what I am asking about. My prof who is an excersise physiologist made the point in class that because the aerobic system is the only system that uses BOTH glucouse and free fatty acids to make ATP, its the system to tain to loose bodyfat, and that training anaerobicly will not have that effect.

He is a bright guy so I know he isn’t just making this up. So like I said I know iterverals etc. work. What are the physiological reasons for this? Also any studies to back this type of training? I want some ammo when I go back to class to debate the point.
[/quote]

Training anaerobically doesn’t have that effect directly. It has the effect of burning more calories by increasing lean body tissue which increases metabolic rate. That means that anaerobic training can indirectly help in fat loss, but does not burn fat as its primary source directly. Its fuel is glycogen in majority.

As far as interval training, one of the reasons it seems to work better than longer aerobic training is due to the length of time being decreased for the training session and the stimulation of skeletal muscle. Interval training seems to keep the most muscle tissue when dieting (at least in my experience) which will also indirectly aid in fat loss. Your prof is not completely wrong, only that his approach to fat loss (without anaerobic training) will often lead to muscle loss which will decrease metabolic rate and make it easier for the person to gain fat later.

Can’t help on the science, but I do know that HIIT will increase your metabolism for much of the rest of the day, and when not working out, you burn about an equal amount of fat and glucose, unless your body is depleted of glucose that is. This is a big benefit in burning fat.

Also when I do HIIT, I do keep my heart rate up.

Look up Cardio Roundtable part 1 and 2, and Junk Training. Both are roundtable discussions.

Not much time right now and I cant find my link. SORRY,

Search for the cardio round table the Dr.S and coaches go into detail in it On HIIT. Should help.

Also even purely anerobic work while using ATP and glycogen for fuel, it still boils down to K/cal in vs K/cal out. You eat hypo caloric and have extra fat stores your body will Burn it.

Sorry so breif gotta run hope I helped a tad,
Phill

Just to add to what’s already been said, the aerobic energy systems are highly active during the recovery phases of interval (anaerobic) training. The two basically go hand in hand, as you can only be anaerobic dominant for so long.