In High School and Lost

[quote]bignate wrote:
anyone else here never knew what they wanted to do or still dont? im in highschool but i cant find any motivation to do super well in anything besides lifting. The only class i actually apply myself to is my math class 1. hes a cool teacher, 2. i like math and its a hard class with cool subjects, but even my easy classes i cant seem to try. Ill do well and study for like a week then i just stop and i realized it depresses me that i cant even like force myself to do well.

What have you guys done in this situation? i dont want a shitty college but i could accept the fact of going to a community for 2 years then transfering if thats the slap in the face i need. thoughts? [/quote]

Being successful at anything, is never really easy. Of course you can study for a week and stop, that is the easy way out. It sounds to me like you have very poor work ethic.

Pushing yourself to succeed in stuff you don’t want to do, but have to do builds character. Don’t settle for mediocrity in anything you do…if you are going to do something do your best at it!

Start setting goals, write them down and push yourself to achieve them. Start with small goals and work you way up to adding more and more goals.

Not to be rude but you just sound like you are being a pussy and are unmotivated. There is nothing anyone can do to change that except you! I am saying that for your benefit. I hope you figure it out!

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
bignate wrote:
anyone else here never knew what they wanted to do or still dont? im in highschool but i cant find any motivation to do super well in anything besides lifting. The only class i actually apply myself to is my math class 1. hes a cool teacher, 2. i like math and its a hard class with cool subjects, but even my easy classes i cant seem to try. Ill do well and study for like a week then i just stop and i realized it depresses me that i cant even like force myself to do well.

What have you guys done in this situation? i dont want a shitty college but i could accept the fact of going to a community for 2 years then transfering if thats the slap in the face i need. thoughts?

Being successful at anything, is never really easy. Of course you can study for a week and stop, that is the easy way out. It sounds to me like you have very poor work ethic.

Pushing yourself to succeed in stuff you don’t want to do, but have to do builds character. Don’t settle for mediocrity in anything you do…if you are going to do something do your best at it!

Start setting goals, write them down and push yourself to achieve them. Start with small goals and work you way up to adding more and more goals.

Not to be rude but you just sound like you are being a pussy and are unmotivated. There is nothing anyone can do to change that except you! I am saying that for your benefit. I hope you figure it out![/quote]

very blunt but thats probably the right answer maybe i shall start writing down goals good call

Being great at math is the ticket to Money, one problem solved.

Lifting weights and other exercises are the ticket great health, second problem solved.

Being great at these two things will make all the other problems totally managable.

haha thanks, anyone else here really like calc.?

I don’t know where to start. I’ve always had a great memory and aced anything they gave to me from kindergarden to eight grade. In the eight grade (first time you get grades in Sweden) I realized I don’t need to do all this and stopped studying. The only time I spent studying was the 10-15 minutes before class in the morning, or on the brake before the test. I got a 275 total,that means I got the next highest grade in one more than half of my subjects, and the highest in all others. I needed 40 points to get into my gymnasium. It’s one of the lowest in Sweden I think.

Now I’m in the 10th grade and I hate everything about it. Especially my own decisions. And my self-pity. I had a choice when picking schools. It came down to the security of being with my best friend and getting to work out on school hours(less schoolwork), or an awesome school which leads on to anything I could possible ever imagine myself wanting to do. I of course chose being a fucking lazy pussy and going to the first one.

I’m pretty sure I want to be a firefighter. I’ll get to actually do something, and I’ll get to train. I’ll even help people (not that I actually care much about that, I guess it’ll sound good and make people respect me, it’s still helping them even if I’ll do it for bad reasons though). With the grades I’m getting now I will get a spot for an education.

Now I have to repeat what I did in math last year for one and a half years. And it was the only subject I didn’t already hate doing. I have to be in at least 80% of my classes regardless of my grades, or the government won’t give me any money. So now I’m sitting there playing games on my computer while memorizing enough to get grades similar to last year’s. I’m wasting 11 hours every fucking day doing less than I could accomplish in one hour if I just got a friend to send me the notes. I’m doing better than I need to, while doing absolutely nothing. I’m not smart. I don’t work hard. I don’t enjoy it. It’s ruining me, knowing that even if I would put my heart and soul into it, I wouldn’t go any farther than doing nothing.

For three months I’ve felt that the only thing that’s not completly pointless doing is lifting, and I’m not even good at it, but atleast I can improve in it and I get something to show for it. And I hate sounding and feeling like this fucking arrogant emo kid. FUCK, I hate being this stupid, arrogant emo kid.

I guess it’s just a phase, it’ll probably pass when I get a job and start seeing a few girls. I just need to look for the job and gather up some courage for the action. Screw that, I just need to take action. And keep myself together until I’m out of school. I feel so goddamn pathethic complaining that I have it easy. Lots of people work hard to get what I’m bitching about.

I’m probably just complaining about school because I don’t want to admit I have no social life, so school and working out are the only constants in my life. I haven’t been over to a friend in months. I really just have one friend I’ve ever visited a significant ammount of times, even though I have a decent group of friends in school.

Fuck this, when school begins I’ll start going over to some friends and try to find a job. Make me feel like shit if I don’t, either I’ll thank you or I’ll become an hero, it’s a win-win for you all, really.

I’m sorry to throw all this negativity into your thread, I just needed to write it down.

Also, notice I used You’re instead of Your, etc.

[quote]shoo wrote:
either I’ll thank you or I’ll become an hero
[/quote]

I wonder how many people will know what that means.

I’m struggling with my last year of HS. I dropped out last year for several reasons.

I bought all of the necessary textbooks and am now teaching it to myself. I’ll challenge the exams.

Spending 6 hours in school and accomplishing what I can do in 2 hours at home is such a waste.

[quote]shoo wrote:
I don’t know where to start. I’ve always had a great memory and aced anything they gave to me from kindergarden to eight grade. In the eight grade (first time you get grades in Sweden) I realized I don’t need to do all this and stopped studying. The only time I spent studying was the 10-15 minutes before class in the morning, or on the brake before the test. I got a 275 total,that means I got the next highest grade in one more than half of my subjects, and the highest in all others. I needed 40 points to get into my gymnasium. It’s one of the lowest in Sweden I think.

Now I’m in the 10th grade and I hate everything about it. Especially my own decisions. And my self-pity. I had a choice when picking schools. It came down to the security of being with my best friend and getting to work out on school hours(less schoolwork), or an awesome school which leads on to anything I could possible ever imagine myself wanting to do. I of course chose being a fucking lazy pussy and going to the first one.

I’m pretty sure I want to be a firefighter. I’ll get to actually do something, and I’ll get to train. I’ll even help people (not that I actually care much about that, I guess it’ll sound good and make people respect me, it’s still helping them even if I’ll do it for bad reasons though). With the grades I’m getting now I will get a spot for an education.

Now I have to repeat what I did in math last year for one and a half years. And it was the only subject I didn’t already hate doing. I have to be in at least 80% of my classes regardless of my grades, or the government won’t give me any money. So now I’m sitting there playing games on my computer while memorizing enough to get grades similar to last year’s. I’m wasting 11 hours every fucking day doing less than I could accomplish in one hour if I just got a friend to send me the notes. I’m doing better than I need to, while doing absolutely nothing. I’m not smart. I don’t work hard. I don’t enjoy it. It’s ruining me, knowing that even if I would put my heart and soul into it, I wouldn’t go any farther than doing nothing.

For three months I’ve felt that the only thing that’s not completly pointless doing is lifting, and I’m not even good at it, but atleast I can improve in it and I get something to show for it. And I hate sounding and feeling like this fucking arrogant emo kid. FUCK, I hate being this stupid, arrogant emo kid.

I guess it’s just a phase, it’ll probably pass when I get a job and start seeing a few girls. I just need to look for the job and gather up some courage for the action. Screw that, I just need to take action. And keep myself together until I’m out of school. I feel so goddamn pathethic complaining that I have it easy. Lots of people work hard to get what I’m bitching about.

I’m probably just complaining about school because I don’t want to admit I have no social life, so school and working out are the only constants in my life. I haven’t been over to a friend in months. I really just have one friend I’ve ever visited a significant ammount of times, even though I have a decent group of friends in school.

Fuck this, when school begins I’ll start going over to some friends and try to find a job. Make me feel like shit if I don’t, either I’ll thank you or I’ll become an hero, it’s a win-win for you all, really.

I’m sorry to throw all this negativity into your thread, I just needed to write it down.

Also, notice I used You’re instead of Your, etc.

[/quote]
man dude thats like how i feel exactly, just like living a pointless life when i could be doing so many better things, i glad you wrote all of that down because that’s what i wanted to read. i think we all have slumps some bigger than others but it does feel good just to vent them and thats what i needed

[quote]bignate wrote:
shoo wrote:
Frustration.

man dude thats like how i feel exactly, just like living a pointless life when i could be doing so many better things, i glad you wrote all of that down because that’s what i wanted to read. i think we all have slumps some bigger than others but it does feel good just to vent them and thats what i needed[/quote]

I’m glad it helped, I’m all ramped up myself now. I should’ve waited until morning to write it, it’s 06:36 here and I just feel like deadlifting. I won’t get much sleep toning. Good luck anyway.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
shoo wrote:

[/quote]

I’m aware.

I’m kinda in the same situation, being a senior I just want to get the HELL out of high school. I live in a bum-fuck small town of 1600 that you can cross in six minutes on foot. I just have a basic apathy towards schoolwork, I do it because I have to and I don’t want to fuck up my chances for college, but it still feels like I’m just going through the motions without any real effort. Really just thinking about getting in my lifts after school is one of the ways i make it through the day. You just have to think ahead to the next positive part of your day and focus on that.

morning-focus on lunch
2nd half of school-focus on lifting/ going home.

It’s just trying to keep positive. That being said, i hate missing workouts. I get all cranky until i do some sort of exercise. maybe it’s the endorphins, i don’t know.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
shoo wrote:

I’m struggling with my last year of HS. I dropped out last year for several reasons.

I bought all of the necessary textbooks and am now teaching it to myself. I’ll challenge the exams.

Spending 6 hours in school and accomplishing what I can do in 2 hours at home is such a waste.
[/quote]

I swear I could do my schoolwork in under an hour. I’m being completly serious here. I have to spend 6-8 hours at school and another 3-5 on getting ready for school and travelling to and from school. If I just had a steady social life I could just say fuck this, and have a friend send me notes from class while I’d be working and living at my own place. And the only reason I’m not is because I’m too much of a pussy. And I really need to stop whining.

[quote]bignate wrote:

What have you guys done in this situation? i dont want a shitty college but i could accept the fact of going to a community for 2 years then transfering if thats the slap in the face i need. thoughts? [/quote]

I would focus on doing homework and take 20 minutes a day a few days before a test or quiz to study and you should be fine.Find what you like and go for it! you can always change your major. Im a senior atm and going to a community college because its super cheap and Massachusetts has some good ones. im saying 10k by taking liberal arts for two years then transferring to a history program. If I maintain a 3.o then the first year of college when I transfer will be free :smiley:

college is over-rated.

factory jobs is where it’s at .

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

I bet not 50% of Americans, young and old know the difference between your and you’re.

[/quote]

Your so full of shit rofl lol lmao nttawwt

Speaking from experience, I’ll tell you what I wish I had done when I was your age. Some people appear to be born with a purpose, but the rest of us have to refine our interests as we go through life. Just start somehwere, submerege yourself in your interests, carefully weigh your options as you go along, and alter course when necessary. If you find that you’ve made the wrong choice, simply eat the lost time, go back and try something else. You have an excellent start just by the fact that you’re thinking hard about this stuff at your age.

[quote]bignate wrote:

Why exactly would community college be a “slap in the face”?

I went to CC for a long time while working part time and then transferred to a four year. My CC experience was the best experience of my life. And when I finally finished my education I came into the work force making more money than most people with years of experience in other fields.

If your idea of going to college is so you can hang out with frat brothers and drink and bang hawt chickz with VD than you need to pull your head out of your ass.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
college is over-rated.

factory jobs is where it’s at .[/quote]

A mindless, boring, waste if you ask me, but hey maybe it is for some people. College is one of the best ways to extend a irresponsible lifestyle for a few more years!!

dude, applied phisiology its a 4 year degree its exrcise science it’s hard as fuck,lots of math

but if college isnt your thing, just get certified as a trainer

or be a european gigalo.

I’m sick as hell of highschool. It’s such a waste. I hate doing assignments with no carry over to anything. I’m sick of classes with no carry over to anything. I’m sick of going to school all day, lifting and then working all night.

I’m sick of being surrounded by stupid people. But hands down, the worst part is the busy work. I’m in the same boat as bignate, I have no fucking idea what I want to do when I grow up.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
I’m sick as hell of highschool. It’s such a waste. I hate doing assignments with no carry over to anything. I’m sick of classes with no carry over to anything. I’m sick of going to school all day, lifting and then working all night.

I’m sick of being surrounded by stupid people. But hands down, the worst part is the busy work. I’m in the same boat as bignate, I have no fucking idea what I want to do when I grow up.[/quote]

The best thing you can do is perform well enough in high school to get into the college you WANT to go to.

Also, realize that, “[quote]classes with no carry over to anything.[/quote]” is not necessarily true. Yes, the vocab sheets and that kind of busy-work will only help you minimally, but you should consider that it will make you a more interesting person if you work hard in all of your studies. . . When you get into the professional world, people will bring up certain historic or noteworthy plays, events, books, philosophers, etc. . .

If you can relate to those topics at all, you will improve your business ventures and overall success. That is why it is important to pay attention and try hard in your studies.

One last thing: when you get to college realize it is a money machine, a rite of passage. You will repeat many of the classes in college that you did in high school. Don’t let that discourage you, instead take the classes as an opportunity to master the subject of focus. Treat them as check boxes for personal development.

After all, they are check boxes for your degree :slight_smile: