In Defense of Sit Ups

Does anyone here have anything good to say about the standard sit up? Are they really as bad as people say or can they serve a purpose for training spinal flexion?

My chiro said its a no-no. Maybe he’s being biased. He instructed me to do the typical, small ROM crunch. I think they were considered ‘bad’ if you pulled on the neck to get up, instead of using your abs.

Guys in prison do them all the time…and they are still alive…

how can it be a bad movement. if you are on the ground how the heck do you get up without doing a sit up?

[quote]lordstorm88 wrote:
how can it be a bad movement. if you are on the ground how the heck do you get up without doing a sit up?[/quote]

Roll over and get up using your arms and legs.

Sit ups are fine if you do them right. Bend your knees and don’t pull on the back of your head. I usually just touch the sides of my head. The range of motion is better than with crunches.

Ya, they definitely aren’t the greatest if your spine looks like a banana.

Focus on keeping your torso straight (obviously its not gonna be perfect, but don’t roll your back excessively), don’t pull with your hands behind your neck, and you should be all right.

I do sit-ups and have strong abs. Not defined but strong. I have always found them good.

I’ve been doing full situps in Muay Thai. It’s possible to be the cause of my back pains.

Situps put high compressive loads on the spine. People with disc issues or back pain, or at high risk for those conditions, should avoid them.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Sit ups are fine if you do them right. Bend your knees and don’t pull on the back of your head. I usually just touch the sides of my head. The range of motion is better than with crunches. [/quote]

x2 I always cupped my hands over my ears so as not to pull on my head

holding your feet straight out and 6 inches off the floor is good for lower abs to or thats what I have been told

Make sure that your neck and spine are aligned, don’t pull your head forward. They can be bad for anyone with previous back problems.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I’ve been doing full situps in Muay Thai. It’s possible to be the cause of my back pains.[/quote]
If you run with bad shoes or bad form that can also cause it.
Lifting weights with your back and not your legs as well.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Situps put high compressive loads on the spine. People with disc issues or back pain, or at high risk for those conditions, should avoid them. [/quote]

Don’t back squats and deadlifts do this?