In Dallas for a Weekend...

Breakfast tacos (and lunch tacos) are great at Good-to-go Taco, at Garland and Peavy. Those are the best I’ve found. They’re only open for breakfast and lunch.

The Blue Goose has the best fajitas in Dallas, IMO, a close second is Pappasito’s Cantina. I also like Gloria’s for a little south-of-mexico flavor.

Beaucoup great info here. Much appreciated. Going to book a hotel downtown - most of the good stuff seems to be based around there.

Just realised that my hotel is only 30 mins from here:

http://www.metroflexgym.com/index.htm

Would surely be criminal not to pop in for a session. Anyone an expert on weekend bus routes from Elm St to Arlington…? (I will now search Google, but thought / hoped that some local knowledge would be better). No hire car, and taxi would probably be pushing it cost-wise.

Very grateful for all the info that you guys have put on so far. Much appreciated.

Go down to Bishop Art’s good little area, couple minutes away from dtown. Dallas is not much of a party town. Head down to Oak Cliff to taste good mexican food. Dallas great place to live and work.

On taking a bus to the Arlington, not gonna happen. Best bet is a cab or have a local t-nationer show u around. Have fun in Dallas.

[quote]jre67t wrote:
Dallas is not much of a party town. [/quote]

Um. We can agree to disagree on that one.

But you’re right, taking a bus to Arlington ain’t gonna happen.

Just a few days until “party weekend” for me in Dallas. Damn excited. If I don’t make it to the Metroflex I’ll probably check this place out: http://www.dougsgymdallas.com/ . Heard good things and, more importantly, it’s just 5 mins walk from my hotel.

Boom!

Metroflex is a shithole but worth going to.

No one seems to mention art and Texas together, but Texas has better museums than just about anywhere that’s not NYC. Way better than California.

There’s the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas, designed by Renzo Piano (who also did the Menil Collection – Houston, Art Institute – Chicago) which houses some awesome works. Actually that whole area is good (by the Dallas Art Museum, if I remember correctly).

The real gem of DFW is The Modern Art Museum of Ft Worth, http://themodern.org/. Tadao Ando’s near-perfect architecture, it’s an oasis in the desert. Anselm Keifer, Richard Serra, there’s a lot good pieces there too.

Edit: In case you didn’t know, both Piano and Tadao have won the Pritzker Prize

If it were me, on a motorcycle (or car, if need be), this is what I would do:

Go to Dallas cultural district. See Nasher and Dallas Art Museum
Go train at Metroflex.
Go to MAM Ft Worth
Go through Austin, stopping at County Line BBQ, Salt Lick BBQ, Blacks BBQ, and City Market in Luling (not that fake Luling City Market in Houston)
End up in Houston, go to Menil Collection and Rothko Chapel
Cap the weekend off at Reef with chef Bryan Caswell, who trained under none other than Jean George
Drive back up to Dallas

JFK tour done this morning. No way Oswald could have shot him from that book depository. Back and to the left.

Had a session at Dougs Gym this afternoon. That is an old school gym.

Hit uptown last night. Found it a little stuck up. Will probably do Deep Ellum tonight.

[quote]The_Swede wrote:
JFK tour done this morning. No way Oswald could have shot him from that book depository. Back and to the left.

[/quote]

It’s cool how you can look out that window next to the plexi-glass and time it with cars coming down the street. Boom, click click click, Boom, click click click, Boom. I don’t see how he could have done it by himself.

What a damn good weekend. Strippers, extreme midget wrestling, 911 calls, live thrash metal, multiple urban gun fights, lifting at Doug’s place, and even some JFK history.

Awesome. Thanks for all the heads-ups.

[quote]The_Swede wrote:
What a damn good weekend. Strippers, extreme midget wrestling, 911 calls, live thrash metal, multiple urban gun fights, lifting at Doug’s place, and even some JFK history.

Awesome. Thanks for all the heads-ups.[/quote]

Hell yeah! which strippy establishment did you hit up?

Can’t remember. A fairly varied spread of quality though…