T Nation

In a Pickle

So heres the deal: Im 14 and I play basketball and football. If i dont hit a certain amount of weight i cant play football. i gotta hit 190-200 i weigh about 160 right now. However, if i dont condition for basketball season and practice i wont make varsity.

I lift (compound workouts) 3-4x a week and condition 5x a day a week. If this is what i do…am i just going to see no progression? Almost similiar to as if i was doing nothing?

Because if i condition i lose weight, but if i dont condition as often then i wont be fast and leave a last impression on my basketball coach. What should i do? And will i see any progress?

[quote]JerryRicePwns wrote:
So heres the deal: Im 14 and i play basketball and football. If i dont hit a certain amount of weight i cant play football. i gotta hit 190-200 i weigh about 160 right now. However, if i dont condition for basketball season and practice i wont make varsity. I lift (compound workouts) 3-4x a week and condition 5x a day a week. If this is what i do…am i just going to see no progression? Almost similiar to as if i was doing nothing? Because if i condition i lose weight, but if i dont condition as often then i wont be fast and leave a last impression on my basketball coach. What should i do? And will i see any progress?[/quote]

You’re a frosh. If you make varsity in anything your school blows hard, don’t worry about it. cardio 2-3 times a week tops. 3500-4000 calories a day. 250-300 grams of protien a day. SStarting strength,5x5,WSFSB.

You’ve heard all of this before.

if you dont want to lose weight, you have to eat more then what you burn…

figure out the calories it takes to gain while doing the workload and keep eating

Ditto. Calories in must be more than calories expended.

So heres the deal: Im 14 and i play basketball and football. If i dont hit a certain amount of weight i cant play football. i gotta hit 190-200 i weigh about 160 right now. However, if i dont condition for basketball season and practice i wont make varsity. I lift (compound workouts) 3-4x a week and condition 5x a day a week. If this is what i do…am i just going to see no progression? Almost similiar to as if i was doing nothing? Because if i condition i lose weight, but if i dont condition as often then i wont be fast and leave a last impression on my basketball coach. What should i do? And will i see any progress?[/quote]

Heres my tip, when you do your conditioning, sprint only, if you aren’t already, because that’s all you need for football and basketball. When you do though, don’t do a lot of sprinting. when I say a lot, I mean not as far, but keep up repetetion.

Then, when you would normaly be conditioning further, do lower body plyometrics. I suggest squat jumps, depth jumps, and lateral jumps to box. Then lift focusing on Back, Legs, and Pecs. You should do fine.

And by the Way, that’s complete bullshit that freshman can’t make varsity teams if they train hard enough, don’t listen to that guy at all.

[quote]Brucelee69 wrote:
JerryRicePwns wrote:
So heres the deal: Im 14 and i play basketball and football. If i dont hit a certain amount of weight i cant play football. i gotta hit 190-200 i weigh about 160 right now. However, if i dont condition for basketball season and practice i wont make varsity. I lift (compound workouts) 3-4x a week and condition 5x a day a week. If this is what i do…am i just going to see no progression? Almost similiar to as if i was doing nothing? Because if i condition i lose weight, but if i dont condition as often then i wont be fast and leave a last impression on my basketball coach. What should i do? And will i see any progress?

Heres my tip, when you do your conditioning, sprint only, if you aren’t already, because that’s all you need for football and basketball. When you do though, don’t do a lot of sprinting. when I say a lot, I mean not as far, but keep up repetetion. Then, when you would normaly be conditioning further, do lower body plyometrics. I suggest squat jumps, depth jumps, and lateral jumps to box. Then lift focusing on Back, Legs, and Pecs. You should do fine.

And by the Way, that’s complete bullshit that freshman can’t make varsity teams if they train hard enough, don’t listen to that guy at all.[/quote]

Freshman can make varsity, but it is a lot harder to do so in football.

And why do you need to be 190-200 lbs? What position are you trying to be? Recievers, corners, and safeties don’t to be as big, as long as they are fast. But if you are trying ot play line or LB, then you do need to gain weight. Or is your coach just being a jackass about weight?

Its just my coach being a jackass. I play quaterback.
And to Zephead my school is actually very good in basketball. I hate the basketball coach so much that i just wanna slap him in the face and show him that i can be the greatest player he has ever coached. We have won CIF 3 years straight.
I also only sprint btw…i do 10 40 yard uphill sprints. 2x a week and then Air Alert 3 program for baseketball 3x a week.

Its just my coach being a jackass. I play quaterback.
And to Zephead my school is actually very good in basketball. I hate the basketball coach so much that i just wanna slap him in the face and show him that i can be the greatest player he has ever coached. We have won CIF 3 years straight.
I also only sprint btw…i do 10 40 yard uphill sprints. 2x a week and then Air Alert 3 program for baseketball 3x a week. [/quote]

I absolutely love football, as such I’ve found the following to be the best exercises in lifting:

Incline Bench Press 5x3
Deadlifts 3x10
Squat 3x 10 ( go low enough so your butt almost touches the ground)
Shrug 3x10 ( seems pointless, but it prevents neck injuries)
Leg Press 4x8

Do that and you are good big dog

As a side note, i’m a freshman this year and I hear you about kinda being picked over by the coaches sometimes.

My school is amazing at basketball also. We don’t ever have frosh making varsity, rarely sophomores. How many kids does your school have in it?

700[/quote]

No wonder. My high school has 2700, at least, and it isn’t that big.

Rare have I seen a 200lb freshman unless he was fat.

Damn this championship coach is really missing the boat on the untapped talent you are. Next practice, tell that coach to take a seat and take over, show him how its done.