In A Cast Workout

Ok,so Im not a beginner…but this is the first time since I started lifting that I can’t do ALOT of the stuff I normally do. (squat, deadlift etc…) I have a cast on my right foot.

I was doing full body workouts beforehand and LOVED it, so I want to keep training all my upperbody muscles in the next 6 weeks that I have this cast on…

here is my workout, let me know of anything that you might add/subtract/not do.

Day 1:

Decline Bench x5 sets (10-8-6-4-4 reps)
Preacher Curl x5 sets (10-8-6-4-4 reps)
Standing reverse flyes x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
French Press x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Reverse Sit-up x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Abwheel & Rev. Dragon flags

Day 2: off

Day 3:

Chest Flyes x5 sets (10-8-6-4-4 reps)
Hammer Curls x5 sets (10-8-6-4-4 reps)
Military Press x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Skull Crushers x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Extensions/Curls x2(ea) (12-12-10-10 reps)
Seated Shrugs x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
{edit: my Dr. said ext/curls were ok}
Day 4:off

Day 5:

Dumbbell Bench x5 sets (10-8-6-4-4 reps)
Reverse Grip Preacher Curl x5 sets (10-8-6-4-4 reps)
Front Raise x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Lockouts x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Lat pull down x4 (12-10-10-8 reps)
Abwheel & Rev. Dragon flags

Day 6&7: off.

Now, I realize that there is alot to do on there each day…its only 3/7 of my week…I have been training for long enough to be able to handle it(5yrs) so I have a feeling that I will be able to preform each of the exercises listed on each day…

any thoughts (non-flamitory)?

I was just in the same situation 3 months back. Broke my foot and was in a cast for a couple months. I did a similar training routine. I was unable to do the full body workouts, so I instead trained my upper body with a few more sets than usual. I actually saw pretty good results. I had figured that the lack of training legs would also hurt my upper body development to a significant degree, but that was not the case.

I didn’t get my foot casted for the first 3 weeks post injury as I waited for my surgery appointment. During that time I did only bodyweight exercises (mostly a wide variety of dips and chins). It was fun and a nice break from hoisting the heavy weights. I really would have liked to have a set of power rings, though. When I went back to the weights I picked up pretty much where I left off. Don’t be shocked at how much your leg has atrophied when you get your cast off. The size and strengh will return quickly. Best of luck.

Thanks for the backup man. Bodyweight stuff might make its way into my setup.
Of course that all depends what my lifting partner is doing; he’s a smart guy (kinda lol).

I would try to use more compound movements and less isolation. For instance, start each workout with 3 compound movements, then move to isolation. Definitely at least start each workout with 1. Push, 2. Pull. So something like this:

Monday

Decline Bench
Narrow Grip Pull up
Reverse Grip Shoulder Press

Wednesday

Chin Up
Dips
One Arm DB Row

Friday

Shoulder Press
Neutral grip or Towel Chins
Rack Lockouts

add in assistance bicep/shoulder/trap exercises AFTER these.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
I would try to use more compound movements and less isolation. For instance, start each workout with 3 compound movements, then move to isolation. Definitely at least start each workout with 1. Push, 2. Pull. So something like this:

Monday

Decline Bench
Narrow Grip Pull up
Reverse Grip Shoulder Press

Wednesday

Chin Up
Dips
One Arm DB Row

Friday

Shoulder Press
Neutral grip or Towel Chins
Rack Lockouts

add in assistance bicep/shoulder/trap exercises AFTER these.[/quote]

well jared, you know how i am. i like to overdo things. but yeah i see what you mean. i’ll have my workout planned before we hit the weights next…