Improving Squats & Deadlifts

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
A fuckin 220 lb (100kg) deadlift? Do you weigh 110 lbs?

I’m a small guy. I weigh 168 lbs right now. I can deadlift 365 without seeing stars. How? Grab the bar with a mixed grip, keep the back in the proper position, head forward without looking down and start to pull til you feel resistance, then blast up.[/quote]

Yawn.

I suppose you can run 10k in sub 40 minutes too huh? or play 5 a side soccer for an hour where you’re pretty much sprinting for the duration.

Pull your head out of your ass and concentrate on your own workouts.

[quote]CityGent wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

I’m a small guy. I weigh 168 lbs right now. I can deadlift 365 without seeing stars. How? Grab the bar with a mixed grip, keep the back in the proper position, head forward without looking down and start to pull til you feel resistance, then blast up.

Yawn.

I suppose you can run 10k in sub 40 minutes too huh? or play 5 a side soccer for an hour where you’re pretty much sprinting for the duration.

[/quote]
Actually, yeah, I can run 6.2 miles in under 40 minutes.

I can also run 3 miles in 16:49.

Pull YOUR head out of your ass and get stop thinking that one accomplishment excuses the inability to excel at another. And I was serious about the deadlifting question, “do you weigh 110 lbs?”

Do you?

Also, to clarify, 6:30 miles for 6 consecutive miles is not really out of the realm of possibilities for a lot of people.

If you follow the best you had better be at their level or close, or many of the techniques will not be appropriate, and you will not get the results you want.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
If you follow the best you had better be at their level or close, or many of the techniques will not be appropriate, and you will not get the results you want.[/quote]

Theres a an article on westside where Louie Simmons says that anyone can AND should use the system who wants to get strong. He correctly says the system is based on percentages and therefore even somenone who squats 100 pounds can work with it.

He does not say you have to use every advanced technique from day one though. Simmons is simply sayin why start out on a crap program and then progress to a great one. Just follow the great one from the start.

In my experience once you get a decent base of strength(for me it was around a 350 squat and 425 dead) you will get better results by focusing on the squat.

Every time I focused on the deadlift my squat strength would regress when I went back to it. Focusing on both simultaneously caused very slow progress on both lifts. Whenever I focused on squat my strength in squats would grow quickly and my deadlift would improve also, even without working it directly very often. I also always do heavy weighted chins and often heavy dumbbell rows. Both are done strapless.

A few years after I started training this way I read some stuff on Westside Power lifting training that pretty much validated what I discovered worked well for me. Doing some research into their methods is probably a great idea.

i say do partials on a smith machine or a cage. do 50% of the exercise in sets then do the other 50% in other sets

[quote]repsol wrote:
i say do partials on a smith machine or a cage. do 50% of the exercise in sets then do the other 50% in other sets[/quote]

No smith machine for me. I’m one of those pink dumbbell BOSU dudes.

Joe de Franco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards might be a good fit for you. (Not implying anything about your parentage.) One of the better aspects in your case is that it’s designed to fit in with an athlete’s other training needs.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:

I’m a small guy. I weigh 168 lbs right now. I can deadlift 365 without seeing stars. How? Grab the bar with a mixed grip, keep the back in the proper position, head forward without looking down and start to pull til you feel resistance, then blast up.[/quote]

Not sure that this was overly helpful to the OP?
This is rhetorical but, why does it concern you how much someone else lifts? He was only offering his answer to the question.

You may be small in stature, no need to be small minded as well.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:
In my experience once you get a decent base of strength(for me it was around a 350 squat and 425 dead) you will get better results by focusing on the squat.

Every time I focused on the deadlift my squat strength would regress when I went back to it. Focusing on both simultaneously caused very slow progress on both lifts. Whenever I focused on squat my strength in squats would grow quickly and my deadlift would improve also, even without working it directly very often. I also always do heavy weighted chins and often heavy dumbbell rows. Both are done strapless.

A few years after I started training this way I read some stuff on Westside Power lifting training that pretty much validated what I discovered worked well for me. Doing some research into their methods is probably a great idea.[/quote]

I’ve found this to be true for me also. The best way to get stronger at the deadlift is to squat!

[quote]Duke wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

I’m a small guy. I weigh 168 lbs right now. I can deadlift 365 without seeing stars. How? Grab the bar with a mixed grip, keep the back in the proper position, head forward without looking down and start to pull til you feel resistance, then blast up.

This is rhetorical but, why does it concern you how much someone else lifts? He was only offering his answer to the question.

You may be small in stature, no need to be small minded as well.[/quote]

Because the OP is doing something horribly wrong if he is only deadlifting 220 lbs. It either means A) he is really small so the lift is understandable or B) he is doing something horribly wrong

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Duke wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

Because the OP is doing something horribly wrong if he is only deadlifting 220 lbs. It either means A) he is really small so the lift is understandable or B) he is doing something horribly wrong
[/quote]

It isn’t always so cut and dry as either A or B. What about previous back problems? What if the person has been sedentary most of their flife? Etc… etc…
By the way, I find your posts to be rude and negative. Try bringing people up instead of trying to put them down.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Duke wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

It isn’t always so cut and dry as either A or B. What about previous back problems? What if the person has been sedentary most of their flife? Etc… etc…
By the way, I find your posts to be rude and negative. Try bringing people up instead of trying to put them down.[/quote]
You may see them as negative, but sometimes being “harsh” is the best way to get people to put some “blood on the bar.”

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
Duke wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

[/quote]

I never said how much I deadlift. I’m the ‘OP’.

Was it 220lbs for 1 rep or 30 reps? What are we talking about here?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
DanErickson wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:
Duke wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

By the way, I find your posts to be rude and negative. Try bringing people up instead of trying to put them down.
You may see them as negative, but sometimes being “harsh” is the best way to get people to put some “blood on the bar.”
[/quote]

If you a little short ass you probably have good lever arms making you a naturally good deadlifter. Taller dudes will have further to move the same or more weight.

[quote]CityGent wrote:

Yawn.

[/quote]

Bitch, you came into my thread a few days ago and insulted me because I posted lifts that were higher than yours.

Go back to Mens Fitness!

[quote]Andrew Dixon wrote:
If you a little short ass you probably have good lever arms making you a naturally good deadlifter. Taller dudes will have further to move the same or more weight.[/quote]

Your geting bench confused with deadlifts. I would say to a point taller guys are built to deadlift more.

I belive I read in a article by Louie Simmons the perfect body for deadlifting is long arms and legs and short spine.

Oh but whats been working for me as far as getting my deadlift and squat goes something like this.

Excercises
front squat
back squat
good morning
rack pull
deadlift

I do leg press after I do a few of these.

I usualy work up to one heavy set with the excercise and I dont do more than two of those excercises in a workout. I follow it up with leg press leg curls etc.

Pick a weight you can do for 3 reps and over a few weeks go up to 7-8 reps once you have that move up 20-30lbs and start over.

Switch the excercises every week this way you can set new maxes every workout for weeks before you stall out.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:

By the way, I find your posts to be rude and negative. Try bringing people up instead of trying to put them down.[/quote]

Btw, I found most of his posts honest and to the point, bringing them down? is this the pc world where everything is ‘‘great effort’’ bullshit.

Been some good advice so far but what i found was of great benfit to me was working on Goodmornings, it gave me the greatest benefit in both squating and deadlifting, work as heavy as you can and the carryover will be significant.