Improving Reaction Time

I don’t think the article was necessarily wrong, because I don’t think that being able to read your opponent is going to completely make up for reaction time. I feel its gotta be a combination of speed and the ability to read someone.

Btw… 0.21 was my average. I tried to cheat by pressing the mouse button down and then releasing it up when I saw the light change. It sure showed me, as the button press didn’t register. 2.54 seconds later

It’s an interesting subject, but the article lacks scientific rigor. I’d like to see references. Parts of it are downright ridiculous. E.g.:

Lol. He can distinguish “right brain perception dominant” individuals with accuracy? And he’s made extensive observations about their reaction speeds? Give me a break.

My experience in table tennis is that the top 3 determinants of quickness are relaxation (agreed), readiness (taking a neutral stance), and efficiency (doing no more than what is necessary to accomplish the task).

Like others have said, I don’t think the article has no merit. But, one would be much better off devoting their time to more important attributes/skill sets than improving “simple” reaction time.

One thing the author fails to mention/consider is that there is always a distance and timing component to successfully defending an attack in combat.

Have someone stand 10 feet from you and tell them to try to hit you with any unarmed technique they want. You’ll most likely be able to defend 100% of them. Now have them stand at arms length and tell them to do the same. They’ll most likely land a high percentage of their attacks (if they’ve got any speed at all).

The larger the distance between the two people, the better your ability to react to their attacks will be. The closer, the worse (unless you actually have contact, then “sensitivity” can come into play).

Likewise, having the fastest reactions doesn’t gaurantee that you’ll be able to successfully defend attacks. If you know what you are doing, you can actually land an attack on a faster opponent by purposely moving slower. This “breaking of rythm” is a very effective tactic to use against a faster opponent.

Finally, regardless of how fast anyone was able to click the mouse button when the light turned green, the light always turned green first. In other words, action is always faster than reaction. You don’t want to always be the one reacting, or else you are always giving your opponent the advantage timing wise (and allowing them to set the pace of the fight).

You’d be much better off spending your time working on controlling distance and controlling “set point” so you can be the one who sets the pace/gets off first. You’ll find that your reactions improve dramatically if you can consistently tell your opponent when (and at what distance) to go.

Anyone have anything good on keeping your eyes open. That was always my problem - flinching.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Anyone have anything good on keeping your eyes open. That was always my problem - flinching.[/quote]

This is my exact same problem. Everytime i see a punch or kick to the face coming, i close my eyes and prepare my body for impact. I’ve been trying to find a way to stop myself from doing this.
Anyone have any ideas?

Several different possibilities to fix that.

Most straightforward one is to bite down hard on your gumsheild as you move into range.

Personally though, I use something diferent. If you go into a sparring situation were shots are comin at you full force, your likely to develop that reflex, or worse.
The best way is to focus on lighter contact sparring, using the same techniques, just at a lower intensity. This way you get to develop your defense and offence. Gradually bring up the intensity.
Obviously you need somebody who is on the same page as you to do this.

OMC

[quote]OMC wrote:

Most straightforward one is to bite down hard on your gumsheild as you move into range.
[/quote]
This has worked for me in the past and I also focus on also tucking the chin as well, along with defense so you dont take the hit.

[quote]OMC wrote:

Personally though, I use something diferent. If you go into a sparring situation were shots are comin at you full force, your likely to develop that reflex, or worse.
The best way is to focus on lighter contact sparring, using the same techniques, just at a lower intensity. This way you get to develop your defense and offence. Gradually bring up the intensity.
Obviously you need somebody who is on the same page as you to do this.

OMC

[/quote]
That’s the problem training in America-huge egos.

You watch fights in Thailand and the guys show plenty of respect and spend the first few rounds warming up before they get into it. Not here.

What about overthinking about blinking. I find myself doing that alot in sparring situations. “Is this time to blink?”.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
Anyone have anything good on keeping your eyes open. That was always my problem - flinching.

This is my exact same problem. Everytime i see a punch or kick to the face coming, i close my eyes and prepare my body for impact. I’ve been trying to find a way to stop myself from doing this.
Anyone have any ideas?[/quote]

Tape.

slow motion sparring as mentioned before.
you have to make sure your opponent isn’t a dick and won’t attempt to compensate wrong technique with speed and power.

there shouldn’t be any escalation.

just go slow, if you see a jab coming and you weren’t in position to block it. well you’re fucked don’t overcompensate.

eventually you speed it up

you have to train yourself to react completely differently.

if you throw something at any normal person their reaction is to flinch/protect it takes a LOT of re-training yourself to not flinch and keep focused.

and it takes a lot of defeating your own ego because even in training you want to be top dog but you have to be willing to take a few beatings in order to gain the reflexes you want to acquire.