T Nation

Improving Reaction Time

great article by kelly bagget on the topic

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

btw, i keep getting 2.04 on the reaction time test i can’t break fucking 2 flat. FUCK im almost above average lol

i bet you GSP would get like a 1.25

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
great article by kelly bagget on the topic

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/reactiontime.html[/quote]

Interesting article…also makes me think about talk of how reaction time supposedly degrades with age and so on. Oh,and I got an average of .231 but I did just finish up grappling class about 30 minutes ago.

Fun test. .18 average for me. Wow, I’m “excellent” at something, ha!

I enjoyed the article. I did OK on the test, getting a 2.3

Average: 0.18119999999999997

My lowest was getting a .172 twice.

hmmmmmm

I dunno. One study I read had an interesting conclusion, viz., that fast people in a sport were really not all that much faster than their peers and sometimes were even markedly slower (Wayne Gretzky, e.g.).

BUT, they were good at reading an opponent so that they started reacting a faction of a second before everyone else. This is what made them faster overall. Those guys who always seem to be one step ahead of you are in this category.

He does have what looks like solid training ideas, but taking the movements too far out of context might just be busywork after a point. Smoothness and fluidity rather than speed are crucial too. One way to speed up is to take out the time between moves and that has better return than just speeding up to individual movements. At least IMHO…

I concur with the author that absolute speed has a genetic component that cannot improved too much and that it drops off in any rate as we age.

– jj

I think that the more you’re exposed to a certain stimulus the faster you can get at it, but your genetic potential limits you from getting any faster than that set rate. Potentially you can get maybe (as stated in the article) 10-20% faster (especially if its something you’ve been doing for yrs like most fighters) but there is a certain wall that you can’t pass.

Still 10-20% in reaction time is pretty fucking huge especially if you’re like some of the above posters getting 1.8’s and such.

2.5 on my first try. Fuck all of you.

But I averaged 0.23759999.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
2.5 on my first try. Fuck all of you.

But I averaged 0.23759999.[/quote]

Dude, that’s the funniest avatar I’ve ever seen.

2.18 aver. I did have a few 1.4
wolbar That is a neat avatar

That little reaction test was a bit amusing, though results can be influenced by the sensitivity of your mouse. On one computer I was consistently at .28, and on another I was hitting .18s and .19s while averaging .22s

I wonder what i can get if my mouse wasn’t wireless

im pretty sure the reaction time of clicking a button from seeing a clear indicator is alot different than say, seeing a guy shoot for a takedown and you sprawling, or deciding to throw a head kick when your opponent leaves his hand down for a second. plus i think my connection is messed up so my score sucked!

First one messed up and got .21 but all others were under 2 lowest .15.

You should list what style you have done also, I would guess people who don’t do striking style would have less reaction time. I used to do boxing can’t right now because of times its open, but I’ll probably start up again in summer.

Edit: Ok cheated on game to see how quick you could get average was .06 lowest .03 heh. I’m guessing the fastest reaction time possible would be very close to .1 sec without cheating.

Good artical…I bet if all I do for the day is to push a button when it turns green I would start to average in the low .1s LOL…

I think quickness is from repetitive work. If you train for Boxing you can reconize a type of punch over training time and pratice of how you react to the punch thrown will not require much thought but more of reaction because you have been train to respond to such things.

exactly big, the reaction timing test is kinda bullshitty but its not about that it proves the point.

there is a genetic set limit to you reaction timing but you can maximize it by economy of motion and just repetition

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
exactly big, the reaction timing test is kinda bullshitty but its not about that it proves the point.

there is a genetic set limit to you reaction timing but you can maximize it by economy of motion and just repetition [/quote]

You’re just saying that cuz you couldn’t get it lower than .2 :wink:

The article was wrong. Lots of ignorance in it. jj-dude nailed the reasons why.