Improving Push Press/Jerk Start

@CT:

What do you do to improve the start position / shoulder shelf?

I find that when I create the shoulder shelf for push press or push jerk that I feel less stable instead of more.

So, I just start with the bar on clavicle area instead of entire front shoulder girdle.

Suggestions please?

Thanks!
M

Well, again, I’d have to see what your position looks like. There could be several issues.

You might need the flexibility to hold the bar with a full grip when it is on the shoulders (only finger tips are on the bar).

You might be holding the elbows too high while taking the shoulder shelf position. When you catch a clean, the elbows should be rotated up as much as possible, but before a push press or jerk you must rotate them down a bit (about a 30 deg. angle) while keeping the bar on the shoulder shelf.

You might lack the triceps/lats mobility to push your shoulders forward to create the shelf.

Your internal shoulder rotators might be too tight preventing you from bringing your elbows slightly inwardéexternally rotated in the position.

Or it might simply be because you are used to using your arms and delts more when you press. With the shoulder shelf you cannot use the arms as much when you initiate the push and really have to use more leg drive and better timing.

Is it true that the elbows are much higher in a jerk position than in a push press position?

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Is it true that the elbows are much higher in a jerk position than in a push press position? [/quote]

Yes and no… many lifters use a higher elbows position in the jerk, to avoid overusing the arms during the initial drive (making is easier to throw it in the right slot instead of losing it forward) however some other lifters use a lower elbows position because it allwos them to get more shoulder drive.

So both methods can be used but the optimal one will vary depending on the lifter.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]howie424 wrote:
Is it true that the elbows are much higher in a jerk position than in a push press position? [/quote]

Yes and no… many lifters use a higher elbows position in the jerk, to avoid overusing the arms during the initial drive (making is easier to throw it in the right slot instead of losing it forward) however some other lifters use a lower elbows position because it allwos them to get more shoulder drive.

So both methods can be used but the optimal one will vary depending on the lifter. [/quote]

Cool, thanks CT.

Well, again, I’d have to see what your position looks like. There could be several issues.

You might need the flexibility to hold the bar with a full grip when it is on the shoulders (only finger tips are on the bar).

You might be holding the elbows too high while taking the shoulder shelf position. When you catch a clean, the elbows should be rotated up as much as possible, but before a push press or jerk you must rotate them down a bit (about a 30 deg. angle) while keeping the bar on the shoulder shelf.

You might lack the triceps/lats mobility to push your shoulders forward to create the shelf.

Your internal shoulder rotators might be too tight preventing you from bringing your elbows slightly inward�©externally rotated in the position.

Or it might simply be because you are used to using your arms and delts more when you press. With the shoulder shelf you cannot use the arms as much when you initiate the push and really have to use more leg drive and better timing.[/quote]

OK, thanks, Coach - I will troubleshoot these.

This is just ridiculous:

Has anyone in the world jerked 600 lbs?

Can’t believe how easy he made this lift look…

I don’t know why video won’t load

Here is direct link to site:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
This is just ridiculous:

Can’t believe how easy he made this lift look…[/quote]

Pisarenko suposedly jerked 280kg (616lbs) from racksin training.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
This is just ridiculous:

Pisarenko suposedly jerked 280kg (616lbs) from racksin training.[/quote]

As far as ‘feats of strength’ in the weightlifting world, what do you consider the most amazing?

Something like a 600lbs jerk?

Snatch x certain % BW?

Or other?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
This is just ridiculous:

As far as ‘feats of strength’ in the weightlifting world, what do you consider the most amazing?

Snatch x certain % BW?

Or other?[/quote]

To me Yuri Zacharevitch’s 210kg snatch at a bodyweight of 100kg and Taranenko’s 266kg clean and jerk stands out. Stefan Botev reportedly clean & jerked 270kg in training, that would be the top but it is not an official or proven lift.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
This is just ridiculous:

Snatch x certain % BW?

Or other?[/quote]

To me Yuri Zacharevitch’s 210kg snatch at a bodyweight of 100kg and Taranenko’s 266kg clean and jerk stands out. Stefan Botev reportedly clean & jerked 270kg in training, that would be the top but it is not an official or proven lift.[/quote]

It’s hard to discern how much weight is on the bar here…either way, that guy was a beast. WOW.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:

embedded youtube video links tend to not work on this site. You have to get the direct link instead of the link that has the “watch?feature=player_detailpage” in the link