Improving Pec Growth

Trying to make this thread and end all be all for idea’s on improving growth specifically in the pecs. Feel free to ask questions here and hopefully someone with more experience can help you out.

Here’s what has been said-May not be easy on the eyes, but I think its better then reading through all four pages that contain some useless posts.

–1~ dumbell flyes 12-15 reps with the max weight you can do for 12 reps followed with no rest by bench press 12-15 reps, starting with a weight you can just do 12 reps with. When you reach 15 reps add 5 pounds next session. 2~ do 3 sets of bench press; 1st set 12-15 reps, reduce the weight by 25% or so and rest 30 seconds, do a set to failure, should be around 12-15 reps, go back to the original weight and rest 30 seconds and do anotehr set to failure, should be 6-8 reps. Again if you reach 15 reps on the 1st or second set add 5 pounds next session. Do each of these routines 3 times a week for 6 weeks. If you are doing them to failure it should only take 1 round of each per session to induce growth.

–Do a few sets of 15 on an exercise that isolates the chest (cross-overs, flyes, or even bench). Use very light weight. Enough that you get a good chest pump, but don’t get really fatigued. Do this on your off days, and keep doing your regular workouts. The increased stimulation may not have a huge effect, but the increased blood flow very well might. Try it for a month and let me know what happens.

–if tris and shoulders are felt more during press, then u r tri’s and shoulders dominant in this lift…a closed grip will work the tris, a wide one will hit the shoulders quite hard…try to be in the middle

- YouTube

–Wide grip bench press focuses on the chest and delts due to short range of motion , while a close grip focus’s more on the tri’s.

–When you hit the bottom of your sets pause think about the chest muscle and concentrate on squeezing them to move the weight up. Try to do it explosively, if it goes up too fast, next workout go up in weight.

–You want to feel the muscle being worked then contract it when lifting. With the bench reach for the ceiling and flex your pecs. With the flyes hug a big huge tree and contract the pecs when you hug…the flyes are your isolation excercise…concentrate on feeling your chest working.

Hypertrophy Booster Shots

– Ok, I have ALOT of trouble with pecs. I’ve been trying this routine created by Jay Robb for about three weeks now and have noticed significant increases definition and growth in my pecs already. Choose one pec exercise per day you work out (I do incline DB bench press, incline flye and flat bench.) At the end of each work out do one of the exercises (different ones each day obviously.)for 5x15 with 30 seconds or less break between sets. It’s fucking intense and a great way to finish off your routine. You can do this for up to two body parts at once. Lemme know if you try it.

For your chest/frotn delts-tris day do:

flat or incline bench a few sets working for your heaviest set fo 3 or 5 reps

flat dumbell or dips for 8-12 reps, if you don’t get much chest stimulation out of either of these do flys

lateral raises

then do something for tris

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

flat dumbell or dips for 8-12 reps, if you don’t get much chest stimulation out of either of these do flys

lateral raises

then do something for tris[/quote]

Thanks for the reply/advice. Would I be wise to try and do flat dumbbell for my max? (I don’t think doing a regular bench max would be good, as I don’t have a spotter and I dont like the idea of 200+lbs falling on me.

I’ve heard of cable flys, but I don’t have access to gym equipment. Is there a way to do these without that equipment? If you know of an article that shows proper form I’d be thankful, otherwise I’ll just keep looking for one myself~

This might help… I have the same problem, and I am going to try this.

http://www.staleytraining.com/articles/other/advanced-chest-training-trick.htm

Also don’t do decline presses then dips. A dip is essentially a decline press to the extreme, and much more useful than decline presses. Instead I would recommend flat bench presses, dumbbell or barbell.

Also, is that 10 sets of three reps, or three sets of ten reps. If it is the former (others should correct me if I am wrong) then that is way to much training with maximal loads for one session (because of the dips).

By the way, what do your numbers look like? If you are a beginner go with rippetoes, or a similar program. It has worked great for me…

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

lateral raises

Thanks for the reply/advice. Would I be wise to try and do flat dumbbell for my max? (I don’t think doing a regular bench max would be good, as I don’t have a spotter and I dont like the idea of 200+lbs falling on me.

I’ve heard of cable flys, but I don’t have access to gym equipment. Is there a way to do these without that equipment? If you know of an article that shows proper form I’d be thankful, otherwise I’ll just keep looking for one myself~
[/quote]

dumbell presses are pretty bad for heavy low rep work IMO, if you lose your groove once, you’re done.

you can do flys with dumbells.

get to the point where you can benchpress 300-400lbs; then i doubt you’ll have a problem with your pecs.

pecs are hard for some to grow. my tits are small…but i can bench a bunch; and that makes me happy.

[quote]chrillionare wrote:
This might help… I have the same problem, and I am going to try this.
Also don’t do decline presses then dips. A dip is essentially a decline press to the extreme, and much more useful than decline presses. Instead I would recommend flat bench presses, dumbbell or barbell.

Also, is that 10 sets of three reps, or three sets of ten reps. If it is the former (others should correct me if I am wrong) then that is way to much training with maximal loads for one session (because of the dips).

By the way, what do your numbers look like? If you are a beginner go with rippetoes, or a similar program. It has worked great for me…[/quote]

It is 3 set’s of 10, but it isn’t on a maximal load. With the weights I currently have, I can’t really fit too much weight on a dumbbell.

And with a bench press, I’ll try to do more flat bench work with more weight, but I’m hesistant to go for a 1rm because of no spotter.

So you think more flat bench press would help? Would incline bench press be useful thrown into the mix somewhere, or just stick with the flat bench?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
RebornTN wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

lateral raises

dumbell presses are pretty bad for heavy low rep work IMO, if you lose your groove once, you’re done.

you can do flys with dumbells.[/quote]

A quick google search found this

Are those the type of fly’s you think would help (Using a flat bench though).

honestly bro, train harder.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
honestly bro, train harder.[/quote]

Train harder as in doing more reps? I mean I’m sore today from that workout, but not nearly as much as I get from doing my triceps or legs.
Or do you think that I should try to just lift heavier (Which if I do my form goes to shit).

[quote]B rocK wrote:
get to the point where you can benchpress 300-400lbs; then i doubt you’ll have a problem with your pecs.

pecs are hard for some to grow. my tits are small…but i can bench a bunch; and that makes me happy.[/quote]

Agreed. Too many peopel waste time on bullshit liek supersets, pre-fatigue, post-fatigue etc. Not saying they don’t work, but that in itself doesn’t give you a big chest. A 350lb incline bench does.

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
honestly bro, train harder.

Train harder as in doing more reps? I mean I’m sore today from that workout, but not nearly as much as I get from doing my triceps or legs.
Or do you think that I should try to just lift heavier (Which if I do my form goes to shit).[/quote]

Do you get sore in your chest after a workout?

If so, then rest assured you are hitting them and making them do the work so there is no problem.

Now, just focus on getting as strong as possible on a few key chest movements.

your new; don’t expect to have DD’s in a year.

train hard, find your limits…and push them.

When I was first starting out I found higher reps, and pre-stressing worked my pecs best. Try doing one of these routines:

1. dumbell flyes 12-15 reps with the max weight you can do for 12 reps followed with no rest by bench press 12-15 reps, starting with a weight you can just do 12 reps with. When you reach 15 reps add 5 pounds next session.

2. do 3 sets of bench press; 1st set 12-15 reps, reduce the weight by 25% or so and rest 30 seconds, do a set to failure, should be around 12-15 reps, go back to the original weight and rest 30 seconds and do anotehr set to failure, should be 6-8 reps. Again if you reach 15 reps on the 1st or second set add 5 pounds next session.

Do each of these routines 3 times a week for 6 weeks. If you are doing them to failure it should only take 1 round of each per session to induce growth.

[quote]dswithers wrote:
When I was first starting out I found higher reps, and pre-stressing worked my pecs best. Try doing one of these routines:

1. dumbell flyes 12-15 reps with the max weight you can do for 12 reps followed with no rest by bench press 12-15 reps, starting with a weight you can just do 12 reps with. When you reach 15 reps add 5 pounds next session.

2. do 3 sets of bench press; 1st set 12-15 reps, reduce the weight by 25% or so and rest 30 seconds, do a set to failure, should be around 12-15 reps, go back to the original weight and rest 30 seconds and do anotehr set to failure, should be 6-8 reps. Again if you reach 15 reps on the 1st or second set add 5 pounds next session.

Do each of these routines 3 times a week for 6 weeks. If you are doing them to failure it should only take 1 round of each per session to induce growth.[/quote]

Thank’s for the advice. I’ll definitely try those workout’s for the next 2month’s and see if I can really start to feel like I’m actually doing something productive.

Do you know any back workout that would work together well with these chest exercises?(Also, would it be wise to do a back day directly after the chest day?)
Currently doing:
3 sets of 10 - Dumbbell rows
20 eccentric motion pullups (I think that’s what they are called, where you mainly focus on the going down part of the pullup.)
Should I try changing the weight with the dumbbell rows like you did in the bench press? Any other corrections on my back day would be appreciated also.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:

Do you get sore in your chest after a workout?

If so, then rest assured you are hitting them and making them do the work so there is no problem.

Now, just focus on getting as strong as possible on a few key chest movements.[/quote]

I get sore a day or so after the workout, the same day of the workout I don’t really feel anything.

DOMS!!!

[quote]B rocK wrote:
DOMS!!![/quote]

Should I know what this means?

[quote]RebornTN wrote:
B rocK wrote:
DOMS!!!

Should I know what this means?[/quote]

yes

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness.

Want to see some hilarious chest growth?

Do a few sets of 15 on an exercise that isolates the chest (cross-overs, flyes, or even bench). Use very light weight. Enough that you get a good chest pump, but don’t get really fatigued. Do this on your off days, and keep doing your regular workouts.

The increased stimulation may not have a huge effect, but the increased blood flow very well might. Try it for a month and let me know what happens.

NOTE: If you need to take a day off, TAKE A DAY OFF. Watch for indicators of overtraining, and adjust accordingly.