Improving Oly Back Squat

What methods do you use to improve your oly style backsquat?

• is there any legitimacy to the smolov routine?

• 20 rep a2g backsquats really put size on you?

• do you focus on accessory work or is squatting multiple times a week important for you?

…any routines?

1 squating heavy

2 it works wonders for some

3 this also works wonders for some

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
What methods do you use to improve your oly style backsquat?

• is there any legitimacy to the smolov routine?[/quote]Yes, but it is very tough. Only tackle this one if you are an experienced lifter and in very good condition.[quote]

• 20 rep a2g backsquats really put size on you?[/quote]Never tackled these, but some people swear by them. Hard to argue with Tom Platz’s thighs. I personally prefer low reps, multiple sets.[quote]

• do you focus on accessory work or is squatting multiple times a week important for you?[/quote] I think if you want size, just squat. If you are a powerlifter, maybe think more about accessory stuff. Even then, I think it is more appropriate to feds where heavy duty gear is allowed. Stefan Korte’s 3x3 has built some pretty awesome powerlifters.[quote]

…any routines?[/quote]
Smolov is good. For a slightly easier version, try Pavel’s Russian Squat Assault. PM me if you want details.

I’m a fan of squatting and deadlifting multiple times a week to improve my Oly lifts. I have extremely picky legs, they respond best to the heaviest compound movements. Squats, deadlift variations, lunges, and step ups. I use all of those to boost my olympic lifts.

For those who are interested.

Russian Squat Assault

Week Monday Thursday
1 70%x4x9 75%x5x7
2 80%x7x5 85%x10x3
3 (70%+10lb)x4x9 (75%+10lb)x5x7
4 (80%+10lbs)x7x5 (85%+10lbs)x10x3
5 (70%+15lb)x4x9 (75%+15lb)x5x7
6 (80%+15lbs)x7x5 (85%+15lbs)x10x3

If your 1RM is more than 300lb, double the poundage increases.