Improving Isometric/Static Strength

Anyone know a good way to improve static strength, ergo strength while not moving?

I can’t seem to find much information on it - just a few routines that have static holds in them.

Any info would be appreciated!

Ummm, hold heavy things? It just depends on what kind of static strength you want. Some exercises that lend themselves to heavy isometrics are high rack pulls, squat walkouts, overhead lockouts and pin press.

Use a greater number of shorter holds for strength, a fewer number of longer holds for size.

-Conor

[quote]conorh wrote:
Ummm, hold heavy things? It just depends on what kind of static strength you want. Some exercises that lend themselves to heavy isometrics are high rack pulls, squat walkouts, overhead lockouts and pin press.

Use a greater number of shorter holds for strength, a fewer number of longer holds for size.

-Conor[/quote]

Pretty much ditto on this, but I wouldn’t count on much size from isometic holds (maybe as finishers after a standard workout, but even then, it wouldn’t be high on my list).

Because you’re going to be stronger isometrically (compared to on the concentric or eccentric), there’s not a bunch of carryover from doing heavy full range training.

So work on your heavy supports of all sorts (yay for rhyming), and include some shortened ROM training, emphasizing the end ROM, especially the last few inches before lockout.

Any particular exercises or goals you have in mind?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Any particular exercises or goals you have in mind?[/quote]

Yes I do have a particular goal - I need to be able to hold a “horse stance” for about an hour non-stop.

If you don’t know what a horse stance is:

its basically a very typical training stance for kung-fu and karate. Not functional at all, but still need to be able to do it for my next martial arts rank.

Thank you both for repsonding!

[quote]conorh wrote:

-Conor[/quote]

Would you suggest a mix of both to gain strength over time?

I would like to be holding my body weight in stances and such for extended periods of time. Strength, as in holding a lot of extra weight, for time is not needed. But if it helps me hold my own body weight for extended periods of time, then thats what I need!

Size is not an issue - as I am going to be adding static stuff in to my WS4SB program when I can kick that off again (long story - couldnt lift due to girlfriends surgery)

All size gains I may be looking for will be gained thru WS4SB

thanks!

I would probably work more on endurance if your goal is to be able to hold the wide horse for an hour. You know the drill, holding the stance for some period of time, then doing more next time. Taking two steps forward and one step back seems to work pretty well, or you can just keep adding time until you can’t make it and then start over at a little shorter time.

Gaining isometric strength certainly isn’t going to hurt though, if you want to throw it in twice a week or so.

Ugh… horse stance s-u-c-k-s. I served my time in Kenpo, and it’s no fun at all. Right up there with holding a bow-and-arrow/leaning stance and having the Sensei stand on our straight/back support leg without letting it bend.

In that case, I’d definitely include wall sits a.k.a. ski squats. Start in the position pictured above, hold for 10-20 seconds, drop a few inches, hold another 10-20 seconds, drop a third time (should be below parallel by now), hold for the last 10-20 seconds. Work to increase the total time in each position.

Also, make sure your hip, hamstring, calf/ankle, and low back flexibility is more than sufficient. If anything’s tight, you’re going to be literally fighting against yourself to hold the position.

Also (yeah, it’s a second also, oh well), you may want to include the Sots press in your weekly routine. It’ll help to get you used to holding the position A - with an extra load, and B - while performing a “secondary” exercise.

It’s described here, and is the last exercise performed in the video:
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/the_mobility_complex&cr=performanceTraining

Good luck, man. A long-time horse stance is a serious test of mettle.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
In that case, I’d definitely include wall sits a.k.a. ski squats. Start in the position pictured above, hold for 10-20 seconds, drop a few inches, hold another 10-20 seconds, drop a third time (should be below parallel by now), hold for the last 10-20 seconds. Work to increase the total time in each position.
[/quote]

It would probably help more if I included the picture. Derr.

For reference, how long do you have until the test, and how long can you hold it now?

Wow tons of advice guys thanks! I really appreciate the input!

Ummm as far as the test goes, I have not been invited to it yet, so I have a LONG time to train for it. Probably at least a year
Also I have no idea how long I can hold it now, that is something I will have to find out tonight when I get home. I’m guessing its really sad and sob worthy of a time.

(I hear you about the bow&arrow stance, that thing SUCKS as much as horse stance hahaha!)

I hadnt thought about adding in the wall sits - I have not done those since middle school hahaha I forgot how, um, painful/great they are!

thanks again - oh and Chris dude you make me laugh bro rhyming and stuff hahahaa

It could be worse…

[quote]Otep wrote:
It could be worse…[/quote]

HA! I’ve actually seen that movie, pretty amazing kung ku stuff - not much else is worth watching

Theres a part in that movie where Jackie is literally hanging upside down tied by his ankles, and he is swinging his body in to a tree such that his back hits the tree and makes him fold in half, like he was doing a toe touch. Absolutly insane flexibility back then man

He’s one of the best - cant wait to see that flick with him and Jet Li.