T Nation

Improving grip for deadlifts

I have been on Stronglifts 5x5 but considering switching to Madcows or maybe 531. Anyways, I can finally pull 315 and it feels like my grip is giving out before my back/legs are. How can I increase grip so that I can keep progressing? I have been pulling double overhand without chalk. Something I read awhile back suggested staying wih double overhand as long as possible. I will try chalk this week, but it doesn't feel like the bar is slipping out of my hand, but more that the weight is heavier than my fingers can hold, so they uncurl and sort of 'hook' the weight instead of holding it in a fist. Any tips, or should I simply switch to mixed grip at this weight?

Use a double over until you can't grip the weight then switch to a under over when you can't properly grip. Then on last set of Deadlifts hold the last rep as long as possible just to improve it more.

Reed wrote
Use a double over until you can't grip the weight then switch to a under over when you can't properly grip. Then on last set of Deadlifts hold the last rep as long as possible just to improve it more.

This is awesome advice, also get an old beach towel, and start using it for back exercises, when doing pullups throw towel over bar so you have to hang onto the towel instead of the bar. I also use it for all sorts of rowing including DB, BB, Tbar, and chest suported machine rows, I won't explain each variation, just get creative, so your having to hang onto a big bulky towel instead of bar. Also with the pullup setup, try doing timed holds. See how long you can hang onto the beach towel, and try to beat that time, each workout. This aproch has worked well for myself, and clients I trained over the years. Goodluck

Its possible I will get crucified for this but you could use lifting straps.

Depending on what your goals are of course. If you want a strong grip then go with the grip variations as well as working your grip with other specific exercises. A little trick I do is to wrap my thumb over my fingers and squeeze if I'm lifting 'raw'. It gives you a little extra.

However straps will help you focus more on using the muscles to shift the weight and not using your forearms and hands to grip the bar for dear life. They only cost a few pounds or dollars so worth it IMO.

Farmers walks! I personally like these because you can progress on these very fast.
SIDE NOTE: I found my work capacity has went up a substantial amount after I've been training my grip. I can do alot more volume on chins, DB rows, and shrugs.

kroc rows

EDIT: for you ratards out there....without straps

THIS.

After being overly dependent on straps for a long time, I started doing light double overhand deads with a hold at the end of every set and supersetting with hanging leg raises. Your forearms will be fried after this, but I fixed my grip issue within 2 months of starting this.

I second the farmers walk notion. Did wonders for me after 3 months and Im still going.

I would like to add rack pull and holds. They have really helped with my grip.

I agree about the farmers walk. I also want to add that when training grip, remember that forearm strength isnt always the same as grip strength. I like to do several sets of letting dumbells roll to the ends of my fingertips and then curling them up with my fingers and squeezing. Then do farmers walks afterwards with heavy weight.