T Nation

Improving Gains for a 'Hardgainer'

Hello,

I'm a 6'1, 175lb, 22 yr old hardgainer who is looking to mix up his routine. My current split is:

I go 4 to 5 times a week,

day 1: chest/bis
day 2: shoulders/traps/obliques
day 3: back/tris
day 4: legs/abs

While I take days off when i feel i need rest but consistently hit 4 to 5 days a week. For four weeks I will hit every exercise with a set of 10 then with a drop set of 15 (lighter weight, with chest wider grip). The next four weeks I will try to hit heavier weights with less sets, usually pyramid (10,8,6,4,12)

Current supps,

superpump250 - preworkout
on whey shake - near end of workout/post workout
on casein - pre sleep shake

If someone has a 'similar' routine but with slight changes I would be very interested to hear. I don't want to change my whole routine, i was thinking: (1) splitting legs into two days (2) splitting back into two days. But if someone has a stellar routine with similar goals then I am open ears.

max bench: 265
max squat approx: 330
approx bf% : 7

Looking to improving with size/quality of muscle, not necessarily lifting of heavy weights ability.

Come again?

Diet?

Carbs. Lot of them. Even during workout.

If you wanna get big....you have to lift heavy man.

More food?

I will make this as easy to understand as possible:

EAT MORE FOOD!!!!

There are few people who can truly be called hardgainers. Throw that and other labels out.

In order to gain muscle mass, you need three things, viz:
i)progressively heavier weights in your workouts;
ii)the right nutrients in the right quantities(eat more food!);
iii)ample rest/recovery.

If you provide your muscles with the above-mentioned trinity, you will most likely discover that you are no hardgainer.

• Eat more food
  • Lift heavy weights!
  • Focus on para-workout nutrition

I suggest 4 ground breaking supplements to achieve your goals.

Beans
Cornbread
Steak
Potatoes

I also have the feeling that he is not a 'hardgainer'. There ARE in fact very few people that can label themselves 'true hardgainers'. Most simply do not eat enough.

Why not start with 2g protein per pound of bodymass and consume over 20kcals per pound for a START. If you still don't gain-add more carbs and fat and continue until you start gaining STRENGTH in the big basic lifts.

If you are going to worry about how ripped you are then I suggest you become a model for Diesel. You will put on some fat, but along with it some muscle as well. This is the ONLY way to gain-EATING and training heavier all the time with enough recovery to grow.

The links I included in my previous post are a nice ways to make sure you get enough recovery for a start. From there one can start to see what you can recover from etc. etc. Here is another great link to see what type of training will suit you best...

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3383

I noticed that you listed all of your supplements but none the foods you eat. That gives me the feeling that you place the importance of supplements over the importance of your overall diet. It'd help more if you told us what you ate on a daily basis instead.

you bench 265 at that body weight? o0

That is 10 lbs more than me at my old body weight of 247lbs. Good job OP.

Seriously , You look fairly athletic which is a good base and now you need to educate yourself so you don't end up wasting time. Check out this thread, it should keep you busy for a while and you will then know what to ask from the more experienced on T-Nation.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/the_best_of_tnation

hahahaha

but seriously.

1) Do legs on the first day (huge mass potential, your squat sucks)
2) Aim for strength first then hypertrophy (lower your reps, go heavier)
3)Go watch that kai greene eating vid and emulate that
4) No mention of deadlift in your post, so deadlift!
5)Get as much sleep as possible
6) Drop the natty light as alcohol decreases protein synthesis and may lower testosterone levels

Add some waxy maize to your postworkout shake or try Surge Recovery to get some fast digesting carbs. I know I'm just a chick, but I'm also an ectomorph and it has really helped me put on lean mass. Not to mention all the food you gotta eat, clean of course, but you didn't give any of those details and it's one of the most important things.

The first thing to do is to drop the word "Hardgainer" from your vocabulary and self-image.

Generally when you do things differently than what would otherwise be a sound training decision "because I'm a Hardgainer" and so what has worked so well for so many supposedly won't work for you, you are making a wrong decision.

There is no way in which it helps you to do things differently because of self-image that you are a "Hardgainer."

Unless you have chronic fatigue syndrome or some other thing that genuinely is a medical problem, the Hardgainer label is crap.

And for that matter, at least one of more advanced and respected members, while not mentioning it generally and not complaining about it, in a thread about CFS where a person was asking for advice, in the course of giving that advice mentioned having chronic fatigue syndrome himself. And he wasn't calling himself a Hardgainer.

Dude that is exactly what I was thinking. I am 190...6' and bench 210