T Nation

Improving Form -

Basically, I posted this video a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6AxRrvncOu8

Basically, I realised that my progress isn’t great. I started lifting 6 months ago and my lifts should be higher. I just want some input on whether i’m just failing my programme (Basically 3 sets of 5 on my compounds, progressive overload)

Last week I let go of my ego and decreased the weight I am squatting (from 120kg 5x5) to 100kg 3x5, i actually started with 107.5kg 1x5 with the first set and that really wore me out. I then did 100kg 2x5. The difficulty of the exercise from squatting with proper high bar form and depth (below parallel with a real focus on hitting a deep depth) really surprised me. I managed all of the reps, but it was much harder and I felt my muscles being worked a lot more. It is a good investment for my progress, but I just feel like I made big noob mistakes my performing with form like in the video in the link above.

I also addressed my military press form starting from last week. I decreased the weight from 52.5kg to 45kg 3x5. It is much harder, but now i’m not using my back, instead i’m focussing on tightening the core and glutes to stabilise myself. Overall, i am not as disheartened with this lift as I am with the squat.

Other lifts:

Deadlift: 120kg: 1x5: As soon as I improved my squat form, I got past my stall on these. Correlation? There must be.

Bench Press: Should be hitting 67.5kg in my next session, not too displeased with this because i know i just suck at it.

BB rows: 67.5kg : I have been pretty disciplined at these.

Height: 5ft9
Weight: 165 pounds at 18-20% bf , slow bulking at 300 calories above maintenance.

I’m not sure what you are trying to get out of this thread but… if you are just now coming to the realization that the amount of weight you use in your working sets have caused you to lift with improper form, then I would suggest spending a few hours and re-watching videos on form for all your favorite exercises. Now that you have the experience with these exercises, you might pick up things that you haven’t previously.

The fact that you have “stalled” makes perfect sense. You aren’t demanding or developing full potential from your muscles. Your muscles will grow much faster, and adapt to using higher weights faster, if you activate the target muscle-group more efficiently in each one of your workouts…aka form-is-king.

Good luck.

Also, you mentioned that you are in a caloric surplus of 300 calories… which seems more like an arbitrary number rather than factual, but, you might want to consider increasing your calories(protein) especially if you planning on working out harder and harder each day.

You can’t expect your body to grow and become stronger if you aren’t fueling it properly for the tasks accomplished & tasks ahead.

Are you actually tracking your macro-nutrients? If you really want your body to take advantage of all the food you eat, consider tracking your fiber intake as well. You might actually be leaving a lot of “gainz” in the toilet by not providing enough fiber to your body.

I’m not an expert, but I did gain 32lbs of lbm(using the “eye test” and not DXA or hydrstatic weighing) in 90 days. Obviously those were beginner gains but at the same time, imo, that is impressive and I’m proud of it. However, it was only accomplishable due to my proper form and wise nutritional decisions.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
Also, you mentioned that you are in a caloric surplus of 300 calories… which seems more like an arbitrary number rather than factual, but, you might want to consider increasing your calories(protein) especially if you planning on working out harder and harder each day.

You can’t expect your body to grow and become stronger if you aren’t fueling it properly for the tasks accomplished & tasks ahead.

Are you actually tracking your macro-nutrients? If you really want your body to take advantage of all the food you eat, consider tracking your fiber intake as well. You might actually be leaving a lot of “gainz” in the toilet by not providing enough fiber to your body.

I’m not an expert, but I did gain 32lbs of lbm(using the “eye test” and not DXA or hydrstatic weighing) in 90 days. Obviously those were beginner gains but at the same time, imo, that is impressive and I’m proud of it. However, it was only accomplishable due to my proper form and wise nutritional decisions. [/quote]

I use myplate to track my calories. Basically, i eat 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight and i make sure i hit the correct fat content too. After that, i usually have complex/simple carbs depending on what time of the day it is.

I am trying to slow bulk on a 300 calories surplus (which i precisely hit everyday). However, since I have started doing this, my workouts have been a lot more de-energised.

[quote]Compoundex wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

I’m not an expert, but I did gain 32lbs of lbm(using the “eye test” and not DXA or hydrstatic weighing) in 90 days. Obviously those were beginner gains but at the same time, imo, that is impressive and I’m proud of it. However, it was only accomplishable due to my proper form and wise nutritional decisions. [/quote]

I use myplate to track my calories. Basically, i eat 1-1.5g of protein per pound of bodyweight and i make sure i hit the correct fat content too. After that, i usually have complex/simple carbs depending on what time of the day it is.

I am trying to slow bulk on a 300 calories surplus (which i precisely hit everyday). However, since I have started doing this, my workouts have been a lot more de-energised. [/quote]

1. Do you take creatine?
  2. You should eat a majority of your carbohydrates post-workout. By doing so, your body will use the carbohydrates to restore glycogen levels in your body instead of storing the carbs as ‘fat’.
  3. Are you pounding water?

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]Compoundex wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:

I am trying to slow bulk on a 300 calories surplus (which i precisely hit everyday). However, since I have started doing this, my workouts have been a lot more de-energised. [/quote]

1. Do you take creatine?
  2. You should eat a majority of your carbohydrates post-workout. By doing so, your body will use the carbohydrates to restore glycogen levels in your body instead of storing the carbs as ‘fat’.
  3. Are you pounding water?

[/quote]

1. Yes
  2. I will do this.
  3. Nope. I will have to drink more.

Fuck, I just recalculated my macros and i realise that i wasn’t getting enough fats and carbs in. I was only getting enough protein in. I was hitting my calories correctly but my macros were wrong. Now that i’ve corrected this hopefully things improve.

[quote]Compoundex wrote:
Fuck, I just recalculated my macros and i realise that i wasn’t getting enough fats and carbs in. I was only getting enough protein in. I was hitting my calories correctly but my macros were wrong. Now that i’ve corrected this hopefully things improve. [/quote]
Huh? You were getting the right protein and calories but not enough carbs or fats? Unless you were getting a lot of daily calories from alcohol, this doesn’t make sense.

[quote]Silyak wrote:

[quote]Compoundex wrote:
Fuck, I just recalculated my macros and i realise that i wasn’t getting enough fats and carbs in. I was only getting enough protein in. I was hitting my calories correctly but my macros were wrong. Now that i’ve corrected this hopefully things improve. [/quote]
Huh? You were getting the right protein and calories but not enough carbs or fats? Unless you were getting a lot of daily calories from alcohol, this doesn’t make sense. [/quote]

I meant i was not getting the exact amounts i needed. I was not getting enough fats in particular.