T Nation

Improving Clean and Press?

What’s the best way to make the biggest gains in the clean and press? Any programs or tips?

I’m testing for 1RM tomorrow, but I think I’m around 155 on the clean (power clean), and 145 on the military press with almost no leg drive.

I don’t have alot of experience with the O-Lifts, but I want to make it my next goal to really improve this lift. Also, what’s a good target weight, I was hoping for bodyweight or slightly more (200)?

Oly lifting won’t make you much ‘stronger’ in other lifts, whereas deadlifting and squatting will make you stronger in O-lifting. Work the shit outta your posterior chain, put some dynamic effort work in there too, work your form on off days, and your clean and press will go up.

how long have u been lifting, age, weight, height

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Oly lifting won’t make you much ‘stronger’ in other lifts, whereas deadlifting and squatting will make you stronger in O-lifting. Work the shit outta your posterior chain, put some dynamic effort work in there too, work your form on off days, and your clean and press will go up.[/quote]

why do I have the overwhelming feeling you have no idea what you’re talking about.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Kulturkampf wrote:
Oly lifting won’t make you much ‘stronger’ in other lifts, whereas deadlifting and squatting will make you stronger in O-lifting. Work the shit outta your posterior chain, put some dynamic effort work in there too, work your form on off days, and your clean and press will go up.

why do I have the overwhelming feeling you have no idea what you’re talking about.[/quote]

Just wondering, what did I say that showed “I have no idea what I’m talking about”? But really, if you know more than I do, then help the dude out and give him some info, instead of giving me shit for attempting to help.

zephead4747 wrote:
Kulturkampf wrote:

why do I have the overwhelming feeling you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Just wondering, what did I say that showed “I have no idea what I’m talking about”? But really, if you know more than I do, then help the dude out and give him some info, instead of giving me shit for attempting to help.[/quote]

people have built big squats and deads oly lifting. But, squats and deads won’t make you a good oly lifter becuase you won’t have the technique without practicing the oly lifts.

Standards: www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/PressStandards.html

I’m still pretty inexperienced, but I have been doing clean & push press until my weight stalls and then I eliminate the amount of leg pressing to transition it into a clean and press. At the point of clean & pressing, I go back to clean and push pressing at a higher weight.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

Just wondering, what did I say that showed “I have no idea what I’m talking about”? But really, if you know more than I do, then help the dude out and give him some info, instead of giving me shit for attempting to help.

people have built big squats and deads oly lifting. But, squats and deads won’t make you a good oly lifter becuase you won’t have the technique without practicing the oly lifts.[/quote]

Ok, cool. I hope that helps the OP. I did say though, that he should practice form too.

zephead4747 wrote:

people have built big squats and deads oly lifting. But, squats and deads won’t make you a good oly lifter becuase you won’t have the technique without practicing the oly lifts.

Ok, cool. I hope that helps the OP. I did say though, that he should practice form too.[/quote]

fair enough :slight_smile:

In Dan John’s book, From the Ground Up, http://danjohn.org/bp.pdf , he has a quote from Dick Notmeyer.

“If you can front squat it for three, you can clean and jerk it.”

&

Leg strength was increased by doing rock bottom, ass on the heels, upright,
elbows high, Front Squats. Dick felt that “you can’t Clean and Jerk it unless you can Front Squat it for a triple.” High repetition Back Squats could supplement leg workouts, but the key is Front Squats.

I’ve read the Ground Up book before, and I like Dan John’s articles, I’ve just never followed a program like that.

[quote]bignate wrote:
how long have u been lifting, age, weight, height[/quote]
Lifting about 4 years mostly screwing around “to get in shape”, 30, around 200, 6’.

I tested my 1rm the other day.

Power Clean and Press (without any leg drive), I did:
65/5
115/3
135/1
145/1
150/1 The press was a slow fucking griiiiiind.

I went right into Power Clean and Push Press:
155/1
160/1 Felt really good and smooth
170/1
175/1 I got the Power Clean but it was fugly, and I failed on the Push Press so that’s all.

Power Clean and Press 1RM = 150
Power Clean and Push Press 1RM = 170
Power Clean 1RM = 175

Any specific training plans you can recommend?

I think people that are giveing the most advice so far are in high school.

Sorry if this is not true.

OP, if you want to get good at anything you should practice the said event. So I would be sure I was cleaning and pressing.

I would add variations of squats (OH, front back, sissy etc.)and and deadlifts.

Be sure you get good depth in the squats and you should be able to get good hip energy needed in the clean.

I would be sure to work shoulders enough with OH press, lateral raises, front raises, etc. and you should be on your way.

I would say 3/4 of power in Oly. lifts come from the hips (glutes, hamstrings, quads)

Good luck