Impressive Lift I Saw Today.

I thought this was a pretty impressive lift, never seen it before. I asked the two guys that were doing it what it was called, and they called it “The Exercise” and gave me a quick explanation of it.

It was a power clean, to push press, to back squat (where they’d jump into the air at the finishing part of the squat),then bring the weight back over the head (jump and weight coming back over head was all one motion) and lower it in a controlled motion back to the ground, and repeat for reps.

Done using standard 45lb barbell with plates. All with great form.

Probably the best lift I’ve ever seen. Talk about compound movement.

How much weight? How many reps?

search for the “bear” by coach davies

The bigger guy was doing probably 155lbs for, maybe 8-10 reps, 5 sets. I was doing HIIT so I wasn’t really paying attention, really only watched the first set. I’d like to give it a try at some point down the road. Never done power cleans. I’d have to get a handle on that before I try it.

meh

[quote]rasturai wrote:
meh[/quote]

+1

So you do so many exercises that you can’t load the weight enough such that you get bigger and stronger. You even noted the big guy was only doing 155 lbs.

Exercises like that have utility - as fun, as a change of pace for a workout, or maybe even as a form of conditioning. But big physiques aren’t built doing those types of exercises.

Sounds like just a complex. We do alot of complexes whenever we want a change of pace. Clean to front squat to split jerk to back squat to push press is one of our favorites. We call them man makers. There are plenty of ways to mix it up. Nothing really new just getting creative.

I see what you’re saying about the amount of weight that can be used. They were doing it as a conditioning program for a university football program. The big guy looked pretty solid though, probably 6’1, 225lbs.

In my gym, whenever I see anyone doing anything more than curls and benching, you notice, as they are a rarity. I can count the number of people who squat and do deads on one hand. I guess I’m easily impressed;)

also known as “russian reps”. good shit there!!

I think that’s pretty cool that they’re doing something other than curls or benching. I’ve never seen anyone even squat right in my gym, let alone try a complex.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
So you do so many exercises that you can’t load the weight enough such that you get bigger and stronger. You even noted the big guy was only doing 155 lbs.

Exercises like that have utility - as fun, as a change of pace for a workout, or maybe even as a form of conditioning. But big physiques aren’t built doing those types of exercises.[/quote]

or warming up

[quote]Gymguy17 wrote:
I thought this was a pretty impressive lift, never seen it before. I asked the two guys that were doing it what it was called, and they called it “The Exercise” and gave me a quick explanation of it.

It was a power clean, to push press, to back squat (where they’d jump into the air at the finishing part of the squat),then bring the weight back over the head (jump and weight coming back over head was all one motion) and lower it in a controlled motion back to the ground, and repeat for reps.

Probably the best lift I’ve ever seen. Talk about compound movement.[/quote]

Hello,

It’s a variation of a complex from Dan John’s DVD. He also mentions his version on his WWW site (www.danjohn.org I believe) and calls it ‘The Exercise’. He had a school football player use it for conditioning with good success. It also came about from the kid not having a rack at home but wanted to lift and do squats etc.

TTYL, Jeff

[quote]J_D_W wrote:
Gymguy17 wrote:

Probably the best lift I’ve ever seen. Talk about compound movement.

Hello,

It’s a variation of a complex from Dan John’s DVD. He also mentions his version on his WWW site (www.danjohn.org I believe) and calls it ‘The Exercise’. He had a school football player use it for conditioning with good success. It also came about from the kid not having a rack at home but wanted to lift and do squats etc.

TTYL, Jeff[/quote]

u beat me to it…

I still do a variation of this but we did them with a lot more intensity a few years back. My coach called it the ‘ass-kicker’ and was a little different.

Power Clean (return to platform and)
Squat Clean and Push Press(lower behind head to shoulders and)
Back Squat (perform push press from behind neck and return bar to front and)
Front Squat (then)
Split Jerk

That’s one rep. And that’s all you did. Although you did a few sets. Three was about all you had in you. Best I did here was 130 kg. at 220 bw.

Thats pretty cool :slight_smile:

[quote]DS 007 wrote:
I still do a variation of this but we did them with a lot more intensity a few years back. My coach called it the ‘ass-kicker’ and was a little different.

Power Clean (return to platform and)
Squat Clean and Push Press(lower behind head to shoulders and)
Back Squat (perform push press from behind neck and return bar to front and)
Front Squat (then)
Split Jerk

That’s one rep. And that’s all you did. Although you did a few sets. Three was about all you had in you. Best I did here was 130 kg. at 220 bw.
[/quote]

NOW thats beasty :smiley:

I’ve seen a girl do some PC in the squat rack. MUCH better form then any of the other guys I’ve seen do them. They are doing a reverse curl with no legs or hips…

Koing

It’s funny that today’s article is all about complexes…good timing, and a good read. Sounds like complexes are good for conditioning.

155 LBS JUMP SQUATS? OMFG!