Impossible to Gain 22 Pounds of Muscle in a Yr

it is impossible. That is if you try and fail. I think it would be possible if you tried and succeeded.

I went from 175 @ 15% bf to 188 @ 11% bf in 4 months, that’s a net gain almost exactly 20 lbs muscle. Myth busted.

[quote]acelement wrote:
I went from 175 @ 15% bf to 188 @ 11% bf in 4 months, that’s a net gain almost exactly 20 lbs muscle. Myth confirmed.[/quote]

fyp

Check my log hater

I thought as a general rule the most LBM a man can gain in a week is 0.5-1.0lbs?

By my calculations if you were steadily gaining 1.0lbs a week, thats about 5 and half months to put 22lbs of muscle onto your frame.

However if you gained on the lower end of that scale it would be about the whole year?

Out of curiosity, what is the main determining factor on that scale? Is it caloric surplus, intensity of training or a genetic factor? All three?

[quote]Kvetch wrote:
acelement wrote:
I went from 175 @ 15% bf to 188 @ 11% bf in 4 months, that’s a net gain almost exactly 20 lbs muscle. Myth confirmed.

fyp[/quote]

Worthless.

Anyway, to the OP: Glad you brought this up, because it really showcases a lot of the ignorance the general population shares, but what did you expect on a BASEBALL forum? Most of the baseball players, even those who were serious about it and pretty good, that I ever knew, were lazy sacks of shit in the weight room. Of course I know it’s not necessarily a ‘power sport,’ but I’d expect just as much knowledge from these guys as I would a Tennis forum.

We should tell Christian Bale this. He ought to know that what he did wasn’t possible.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
I thought as a general rule the most LBM a man can gain in a week is 0.5-1.0lbs?

By my calculations if you were steadily gaining 1.0lbs a week, thats about 5 and half months to put 22lbs of muscle onto your frame.

However if you gained on the lower end of that scale it would be about the whole year?

Out of curiosity, what is the main determining factor on that scale? Is it caloric surplus, intensity of training or a genetic factor? All three?

[/quote]

See the reason none of this makes sense as far as how much muscle you can gain in a certain time frame is that muscle has A LOT of water and glycogen in it. Trying to add up how many grams of protein you need to eat to get to 20 lbs of muscle gain as the original arguement doesn’t make any sense. When you gain 20 LBS of Lean mass its not 100% protein. And I would think, the bigger your muscles, the more water and glycogen they are going to hold.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
I thought as a general rule the most LBM a man can gain in a week is 0.5-1.0lbs?

By my calculations if you were steadily gaining 1.0lbs a week, thats about 5 and half months to put 22lbs of muscle onto your frame.

However if you gained on the lower end of that scale it would be about the whole year?

Out of curiosity, what is the main determining factor on that scale? Is it caloric surplus, intensity of training or a genetic factor? All three?

[/quote]

Your body does not gain muscle at a steady rate. You gain muscle in spurts. For anyone to claim they know the specific cap for that amount of gain that ANYONE can ever experience is flat out retarded.

Ah. This whole discussion seems so… familiar.
I wonder why.

you can do anything if you try hard enough!

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
I thought as a general rule the most LBM a man can gain in a week is 0.5-1.0lbs?

By my calculations if you were steadily gaining 1.0lbs a week, thats about 5 and half months to put 22lbs of muscle onto your frame.

However if you gained on the lower end of that scale it would be about the whole year?

Out of curiosity, what is the main determining factor on that scale? Is it caloric surplus, intensity of training or a genetic factor? All three?

[/quote]

How about this instead: as a general rule, there is no general rule. Pretty much every respectably sized person on this site keeps saying this. Genetics do play a role in growth, so trying to map a formula to it is dumb, because you’re either going to short change yourself, or get depressed because you aren’t the top .01%.