Important Non-Meat Foods?

I am having this huge problem and i have searched for it for sometime now, well, and hour or so anyway.

I have no problem in the meats department, I am the mass murderer of chicken, and the joseph stalin of cows.

anyway…

I have a huge problem in deciding what veggies or anything else to eat. I know im missing stuff in my diet and was hoping if there was some magical green im overlooking.

greens that stay in the house.

-Peas
-Spinach
-string beans
-beets

I go the produce section and I just stare like a zombie, I mean if you guys think being a carnivore is just fine and dandy then hey, im game, but something just feels missing. I am throwing myself at the mercy of those who know nutrition and bodybuilding much, much better than I.

Thanks

Those are good selections.
I eat asparagus every day. Broccoli is also high on my list. My wife started using kale and collard greens in home made soup.

As far as healthy starches go, try yams or sweat potatoes, carrots, and pastas made from spinach or whole grains.

A banana per day is good for potassium. Also citrus fruits for C, berries of all types are high in antioxidants as well as pomegranate.

You pretty much can’t go wrong with things that are green, or things that are cruciferous like broccoli and cauliflower. Just try picking something new every time you go to the store, and try cooking it a few ways. Look up some recipies online (modify them so they fit your needs). You’ll find some stuff you like. Variety is good too.

What are these non-meat things you speak of?

I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes. Top them with cinnamon and they are like dessert.

Is there any real reason why you should eat greens and what not as opposed to taking something like a Superfood?

Because you like the taste? Because it fills you up and stops you eating crap 30 mins later?

I’m on a big lettuce kick at the moment, especially Romaine lettuce. Dressed with some olive oil, rice vinegar, chili, garlic and pickled pink ginger it’s pretty damn tasty.

I’m also a big fan of broccoli with lemon juice and garlic.

Chinese broccoli or kai-lan is great too, if you can find it. Again, good with garlic and chili.

Cucumbers are pretty good, especially in Thai food.

Of course, the most important thing is a quality hot sauce. Not some rubbish like Dave’s Insanity, but a sauce with depth like Cholula. I like the one with added garlic.

Did I mention garlic?

I second the recommendation for cruciferous veggies. Anti estrogen properties along with a reputation as one of the most potent cancer fighters.

This is especially important for men as excess estrogen is often the culprit in prostate cancer which is the most common cancer facing men after skin. Lung cancer has a slightly higher incidence but smoking is to blame for that.

I highly recommend Turmeric. You can buy it fresh at whole food markets or powdered in any spice aisle. Another incredibly potent anti cancer with very high antioxidant activity.

spinach
onions
carrots
green peas/beans (whfoods.com, VERY nutritionally dense)
broccoli/cauliflower
green peppers
tomatoes

those are my regulars

i stay away from garlic because i seem to have a nasty sensitivity/allergy to it where my sinuses/nose starts getting clogged and filled with mucous, even with powdered spice mixes where garlic is a significant ingredient, i don’t know anyone else with a garlic issue

I’ve really stepped up my veggie intake as of late. Right now the whole bottom shelf of my fridge aside from two pitchers of water is veggies…

One that hasn’t been mentioned is mushrooms. I put them in omelettes and fry them in OO and eat them with steak and chicken. Delicious.

Avocados have some healthy fats too.

I try to eat at least a tomato a day as well.

Other than that it is brocolli, lettuce, spinach, green peppers, zucchini, cauliflower, red onions, and squash.

…I’m still working on learning how to incorporate them with meals and develop some staple recipes. Its only been about two trips where I have really covered the produce section, and I still have no idea what half the stuff is.

[quote]TeufelHundren wrote:
Is there any real reason why you should eat greens and what not as opposed to taking something like a Superfood?[/quote]

Heliotrope said it right. Plus you also must realize that nutrients, minerals and vitamins are absorbed best when eaten in their whole food form. Many of these nutrients work synergistically and emphasize their properties on one another. Other than times when fast absorbtion is necessary, food is virtually always better than pills.

All of this is good advice.

I went out and bought all sorts of stuff.

Now im running into a bigger problem. Im in the army and I live in the b’s and the only cooking instruments i have are a microwave, and a george foreman.

any cooking suggestions?

[quote]theuofh wrote:
I’ve really stepped up my veggie intake as of late. Right now the whole bottom shelf of my fridge aside from two pitchers of water is veggies…

One that hasn’t been mentioned is mushrooms. I put them in omelettes and fry them in OO and eat them with steak and chicken. Delicious.

Avocados have some healthy fats too.

I try to eat at least a tomato a day as well.

Other than that it is brocolli, lettuce, spinach, green peppers, zucchini, cauliflower, red onions, and squash.

…I’m still working on learning how to incorporate them with meals and develop some staple recipes. Its only been about two trips where I have really covered the produce section, and I still have no idea what half the stuff is. [/quote]

and I hate to be a pest, but, when you figure out some of those recipes and you help a brother out?

Did I seriously not see anybody say BROWN RICE!!! The rest is dead on. Sweet potatoes, most all green veggies, BROWN RICE, oatmeal, any other slow burning carbs, and of course BROWN RICE. As for tomatoes, some studies have shown them to be counteractive to a pro-anabolic body thus limiting your natural production of Test. Of course I am sure there are studies saying the exact opposite so go figure.

if you want starchy carbs just eat legumes instead of brown rice

[quote]TeufelHundren wrote:

Now im running into a bigger problem. Im in the army and I live in the b’s and the only cooking instruments i have are a microwave, and a george foreman.

any cooking suggestions?[/quote]

That’s all you need. You can grill up vegies/meat (mmm, kabobs), baked potatoes (in microwave, it takes 6-7 minutes, turn after 3-4 minutes), you can boil veggies, etc.

Just try not to microwave too many things in plastic - expose yourself to phytoestrogens (sp?) from plastic.

[quote]Trenchant wrote:
TeufelHundren wrote:

any cooking suggestions?

That’s all you need. You can grill up vegies/meat (mmm, kabobs), baked potatoes (in microwave, it takes 6-7 minutes, turn after 3-4 minutes), you can boil veggies, etc.

Just try not to microwave too many things in plastic - expose yourself to phytoestrogens (sp?) from plastic.[/quote]

thank you sir!