T Nation

Importance of GHR/Reverse Hyper

l am trying to convince the owner of the gym to buy atleast a glute ham raise machine and a reverse hyper machine

leave a post to show your support

That gym will be mighty empty if thats all he gets.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
That gym will be mighty empty if thats all he gets.[/quote]
getting looks from all the lol’ing

Why not print out some articles online as to the benefits of a GHR & reverse hyper? If he is not willing to get one a either switch gyms or do the poor man variations off a bench.

Unless the gym owner frequents T-Nation often, & knows what/how either of those structures works - I doubt a posting to support this will sway his opinion but good luck anyways.

When ever I go to a new gym & ask “Do you guys have a reverse hyper or a glute ham raise machine?” I usually hear crickets chirping in the background.

depends what kind of gym , his and clientele.
if he’s only interested in $$$ and whatever boost membership, then he won’t care about things such as having a VERY useful strength building piece of equipement.

GHRs and RHs costs hundreds or thousands, and not many people use them or know first thing about them, same goes for asking most gyms to plunk out couple thousnd for kettlebells.

That’s because nobody is selling them as toning and shaping machines.

There’s a market opportunity waiting to happen.

Think adductor machines are cheap?

[quote]skidmark wrote:
That’s because nobody is selling them as toning and shaping machines.

There’s a market opportunity waiting to happen.

Think adductor machines are cheap?[/quote]

Ha :slight_smile:

It’s not a “Reverse Hyper” anymore. It’s an “Ass Toner 2000” :slight_smile:

I looked around for the prices of gym equipment and the elliptical/cycle/rowing/running machines are not a bargain in comparison to squat racks, cages etc. It’s surprising why gyms load up on expensive cardio sh!t when it costs so much.

The same situation exists in my gym with a power cage. I suggest you start a petition of sorts and start faking signitures of gym members.

[quote]Mahatma wrote:
I looked around for the prices of gym equipment and the elliptical/cycle/rowing/running machines are not a bargain in comparison to squat racks, cages etc. It’s surprising why gyms load up on expensive cardio sh!t when it costs so much.
[/quote]

Considering that’s what gets people in the door, it’s not all that surprising.

Honestly, it’s not all that important.

Yes, I know that sounds crazy coming from me considering I recently purchased an Elite FTS Deluxe Glute Ham Raise Bench.

But the reality is that you can perform a variety of other exercises that will work just as good (for the most part) for a lot less money than one of these pieces of equipment.

And for a typical gym or fitness center, this wouldn’t be a worthwhile investment since it would take up space and only be used by a select few people (mostly athletes - if they train there). The cost and space issues would be enough to deter most places from investing.

You can still hit your hamstrings/lower back/glutes sufficiently with deadlifts, full squats, various lunge, step-up and split squat variations, RDL’s, Pull-throughs, natural GHR’s, leg curls and reverse hypers done off a bench or Roman chair (bodyweight or lightly loaded using bands or dumbbells).

tell the owner of the gym that power track & field athletes have uber-glutes…

get a reverse hyper.