Importance of Bone Structure

I have very fucking small bones. Actually, it’s mostly noticable in my arms because I have thick legs, neck, ribcage and midsection, don’t know why it’s so isolated. It’s just my wrists and hands that are amazingly small. It looks pretty damn stupid with big upper arms let me tell you… Just to mention I’ve never had any health problems related to bones, not even fractures or anything.

Some people think I use gear (which is ridiculous since I don’t have such an impressive frame at all) because they think the difference between my lower and upper arms is akward (wrists: 7 inches, forearms: 11 inches vs flexed biceps: 17 inches O_ô)

So I was wondering if I did something wrong with training that ended up stunting growth in my lower arms’ bones? Yes, this is of course the dumbest thing you’ve heard today but I need some feedback… It’s not that it ruins my life, except I look like I’m 13 years old when you look at my lower arms but it affects my grip strenght a bit.

Thanks for your time

So, um…have you tried doing any forearm work to bring up development?

7 inch wrists aren’t that small. I think that’s about average actually.

Small wrists = bigger forearm illusion once you build your forearms up.

functionalhandstrength.com/small_wrists_020205.html

Of course. I should have mentionned all that. I perform mostly compound lifts, including deadlifts, bent-over rows, pull ups and chins, with reverse grip curls as one of the few more isolated moves. My forearms don’t grow nearly as fast as my bis and tris but they’re not SO bad. It’s mostly the wrists and hands really. Like, I can do multiple weighted pushups but could never perform a single finger-tip pushup.

That was a good read Liftsmart. Still It sucks that I need to pay special attention to my hands and forearms to have balanced development, while most people grow big forearms just by training normally.

Wanna hook me up with some hands/wrists workouts? I have a grip strenght thing home but that’s most likely not enough.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:

Wanna hook me up with some hands/wrists workouts? I have a grip strenght thing home but that’s most likely not enough. [/quote]

What is your max deadlift?

Try something off the wall and possibly illogical like 10x10 of both types of barbell wrist curls supersetted 2x per week for a month.

My wrists measure exactly 7" and I weigh 250lbs. You have plenty of room for growth, don’t let the current state of your forearms get to you, you can bring them up. FORCE them to Grow!

For what it’s worth, my wrists are 6.75" and my forearms are 13.5", so I wouldn’t worry too much if I were you.

As for workouts, there are plenty on this site if you run an article search.

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
That was a good read Liftsmart. Still It sucks that I need to pay special attention to my hands and forearms to have balanced development, while most people grow big forearms just by training normally.

Wanna hook me up with some hands/wrists workouts? I have a grip strenght thing home but that’s most likely not enough. [/quote]

This.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/massive_forearms_strong_grip&cr=

Incorporate some of these exercises into your routine.

Small hands i admit is kinda shitty… but i LIKE having small wrists/ankles etc… it gives my body a better look… one i prefer at least.

Saying that, i HATED it 50lbs ago…!

Most people add bulk to their forearms with the rest of their body simply because they have to handle heavier weights, dumbbells whatever as they get bigger and stronger.

For the select few who don’t, wrist curls, grip training, barbell reverse curls, zottmans, farmer’s walks, plate pinches, should add a couple of inchs over a year or so of consistent training. Forearms recover very quickly and respond to high volume…With 7" wrists, i would expect you to at least get to 13-14’ forearms.

A decent amount of back work (gripping of heavy weights involved) and just time will certainly add some meat to your overall structure, wrists included. Still, my wrists have always seemed damn tiny to me, but as I got more serious about BBing, I realized that it was a blessing. My calves and arms look a lot bigger than they are because of the small structure. Bottom line is that you can’t make your bones grow (short of GH -lol). You can add meat to your forearms, but realize that very little of it will affect your wrist measurements.

S

[quote]Kataklysm wrote:
Of course. I should have mentionned all that. I perform mostly compound lifts, including deadlifts, bent-over rows, pull ups and chins, with reverse grip curls as one of the few more isolated moves. My forearms don’t grow nearly as fast as my bis and tris but they’re not SO bad. It’s mostly the wrists and hands really. Like, I can do multiple weighted pushups but could never perform a single finger-tip pushup.

[/quote]

Gee, forearm curls and direct biceps training seems to be in order.

Dude. I’m willing to bet everything I own that the OP already does direct forearm and bicep work. Why would someone with thin forearms not do wrist curls?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:

Gee, forearm curls and direct biceps training seems to be in order.[/quote]

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Dude. I’m willing to bet everything I own that the OP already does direct forearm and bicep work. Why would someone with thin forearms not do wrist curls?

Professor X wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:

[/quote]

The same reason most of the people here with small arms don’t do biceps curls?

Talking in riddles again!!!

tribunaldude wrote:

Professor X wrote:
Kataklysm wrote:

The same reason most of the people here with small arms don’t do biceps curls?[/quote]

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:

[/quote]

Actually, I wasn’t. There are several guys running around with small arms who will claim that you aren’t supposed to train them directly…or if you do, it should be as minimalistic as possible in favor of “compound exercises”. It isn’t a huge jump to question whether the guy with small forearms actually fucking trains them.

Also, his perspective seems skewed to begin with in that he thought 7" wrists were “small”.

Do direct forearm work.

Eat.

Stop crying.

Ahh. Now I get it.
I think the ‘no direct arm work crowd’ has its heart in the right palce though. Having visited school gyms, I see far more kids doing entire sessions with 90% isolation movements (with no leg training whatsoever) than the othe rextreme - guys with some good size but lagging arms/medial delts/forearms etc…so i think the ‘don;t do isolation work’ advice is only meant to keep beginners out of the first group (too little compounds/leg work).

tribunaldude wrote:

Actually, I wasn’t. There are several guys running around with small arms who will claim that you aren’t supposed to train them directly…or if you do, it should be as minimalistic as possible in favor of “compound exercises”. It isn’t a huge jump to question whether the guy with small forearms actually fucking trains them.

Also, his perspective seems skewed to begin with in that he thought 7" wrists were “small”. [/quote]

You don’t have muscles that go all the way down to your wrist. I have big forearms (there is actually muscle there that responds to training) and small wrists. Everything else has grown a lot since I started lifting, including forearms. Wrists haven’t grown at all. Who really cares about wrist size? Why?

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
Do direct forearm work.

Eat.

Stop crying.[/quote]

I agree; try this…

5 sets of reverse wrist curls

5 sets of wrist curls

with the wrist curls; let the bar slip down all the way down your fingers as low as possible and curl it back up- go for a little higher rep range of maybe 12 to 15 reps as the forearm is similar to your calves…i sometimes like to go heavy where i can only 5 to 6 reps of wrist curls then strip some wieght and do more reps.

There is more that you could do as for as forearm work; but if you do the above; i think it is all you need.