Import to USA - Duty Fees

Hey guys,

I ordered a plant supplement (in powder form) overseas and didn’t realize that I would have to pay duty fees. Yes, it is 100% legal. It can be used as a tea, also.

Any idea how much duty fees would be? I bought about 10 pounds worth of this stuff and got a decent deal on it. It is being shipped through DHL and I can’t really find/get a straight answer on how much duty fees might be.

Has anyone been in this situation where they had to pay duty fees on a supplement coming in the United States?
Any idea how they charge (per pound, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:

And people were making fun of me earlier today because I got raped up the ass ordering creatine from the USA. Take it from any Canadian who has ordered shit online, duty fees usually make it a lot worse of a deal than it seems when you buy it.

I don’t even know how they determine how much you pay, but I think it has something to do with weight here in Canada. On top of that, it seems like they search every supplement at the border, so stuff takes a long time to make it through. Basically, you’ll find out the duties when it gets to you, which is the most retarded part of the whole process.

Obviously I haven’t helped, but these duties really piss me off.

Thanks AO for the heads up.

Do you need to pay them as soon as you have the product in hand? Or do they send a bill in the mail?

In other words, do you have to pay all the duty fees before you can even use the product?

Also, the product I bought was over $1500 US dollars worth and about 10 pounds, so if the duty fees are less than $100, it’ll still be a decent deal. However, if they are like $300+, then I’ll be a little PO’ed.

Typically – and remember that this is Canada Post here – they make you pay whatever is owing before you pick up the package. Typically, that could mean sales tax and whatever fees they’ve tacked on over and above the shipping you’ve already paid. Like I said before, I’m pretty sure it has something to do with weight. I’ve typically seen $10-$20 CDN added to packages worth $50 to $100, but other times there has been nothing, so I’m just as clueless as you are.

I’m pretty sure that Canada post comes up with their charges through some indecipherable combination of tarot cards, throwing bone dice under a full moon, and prophecy via hallucinogens.

Sorry I can’t be of much help here either. I am also in Canada. But I have to say, if I ordered 10 LBs of anything, with a value of $1500 US, I’d be puckering up now for a big shock.

I hope this doesn’t happen to you, but let us know how it turns out.

|/ 3Toes

[quote]Northcott wrote:
I’m pretty sure that Canada post comes up with their charges through some indecipherable combination of tarot cards, throwing bone dice under a full moon, and prophecy via hallucinogens.[/quote]

I wouldn’t doubt it :slight_smile:

I’ll let you guys know what’s up. It was shipped Worldwide Express through DHL. So, we’ll see what happens.

I just found this on a US Embassy website:

“The United States will provide expanded duty-free trade benefits to Thailand, Indonesia, and other countries devastated by the December 2004 tsunami”

My product is coming from Indonesia, but I’m sure there is some loophole and I’ll get charged up the a**.

We’ll see…