Implementing The Fight Club Philosophy

"Our hero (who is unnamed) and his created other half Tyler Durden are complete opposites, and Tyler is created on purpose to be everything our hero is not. The Yin is supposed to be “describable with words like feminine, flexible, yielding, flowing, poised, compromising, soft, weak, and patience.”(1) This describes our hero perfectly. He is the fabled ?sensitive man? and hates himself because of it. Tyler is the Yang, “described as masculine, decisive, rigid, piercing, reversing, hard, strong, and overcoming.”(2)

The story of Fight Club begins with our hero?s dissatisfaction with himself and his pathetic life. The Yin and Yang sides of him are both present, but he has been raised to repress his Yang side. This was caused by his family life, expressed several times in the book as “Tyler never knew his father.” (3) This is also the problem for other men who join fight club; “what you see at Fight Club is a generation of men raised by women” (4) and his observance “I?m a thirty year old boy, and I?m wondering if another woman is really the answer I need.” (5)

He is lost and does not know what he needs at this point in his life. It is at this point that he creates Tyler Durden, the Yang side of himself. Created is not the correct term, because Tyler is not “something from nothing” as most people think of Creation. Tyler is the emergence of the expression of everything our hero has learned to suppress; “Tyler had been around a long time before we met.”(6) The entire movie can be generalized as the main character?s unbalanced Yin Yang forces. His Yin has been dominant in his life for too long and as a result, his Yang breaks free."

http://strykerxbase.tripod.com/writings/taoism.htm

So, what are some good ideas (other than pouring acid on our hands) for implementing the philosophy? Our society seems bent upon locking most of our ‘Yang’ up in prisons or sending ‘it’ to Irag or Afghanistan. How can we be Yang in a mostly Yin society?

Fight Club is a glorified love story.

Saying “Fuck The Joneses” would be a good start…

Lift weights, drive fast, and have many illegitimate children.

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Best of luck patterning your notions of traditional masculinity after a book written by a gay man.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
"Our hero (who is unnamed) and his created other half Tyler Durden are complete opposites, and Tyler is created on purpose to be everything our hero is not. The Yin is supposed to be “describable with words like feminine, flexible, yielding, flowing, poised, compromising, soft, weak, and patience.”(1) This describes our hero perfectly. He is the fabled ?sensitive man? and hates himself because of it. Tyler is the Yang, “described as masculine, decisive, rigid, piercing, reversing, hard, strong, and overcoming.”(2)

The story of Fight Club begins with our hero?s dissatisfaction with himself and his pathetic life. The Yin and Yang sides of him are both present, but he has been raised to repress his Yang side. This was caused by his family life, expressed several times in the book as “Tyler never knew his father.” (3) This is also the problem for other men who join fight club; “what you see at Fight Club is a generation of men raised by women” (4) and his observance “I?m a thirty year old boy, and I?m wondering if another woman is really the answer I need.” (5)

He is lost and does not know what he needs at this point in his life. It is at this point that he creates Tyler Durden, the Yang side of himself. Created is not the correct term, because Tyler is not “something from nothing” as most people think of Creation. Tyler is the emergence of the expression of everything our hero has learned to suppress; “Tyler had been around a long time before we met.”(6) The entire movie can be generalized as the main character?s unbalanced Yin Yang forces. His Yin has been dominant in his life for too long and as a result, his Yang breaks free."

http://strykerxbase.tripod.com/writings/taoism.htm

So, what are some good ideas (other than pouring acid on our hands) for implementing the philosophy? Our society seems bent upon locking most of our ‘Yang’ up in prisons or sending ‘it’ to Irag or Afghanistan. How can we be Yang in a mostly Yin society?

[/quote]

Man Ayn Rand and Fight club two of my favorite things. Must be something about Ohio. There is and essay contest being sponsored by the Ayn Rand Institute right now i’m going to enter. Anyway Fight club is one of my favorite movies, its even better as the book.

no homo lol

Yawn.

Aren’t we tired of yet another Fight Club reference?
I loved the film and book, but do we have to tolerate someone’s need to quote it, analyze it, celebrate it in some fashion?

Just live, love, and lift for God’s sake!

:smiley:

hay guise. know what’s kul?

fiteing in bacements.

srs.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Yawn.

Aren’t we tired of yet another Fight Club reference?
I loved the film and book, but do we have to tolerate someone’s need to quote it, analyze it, celebrate it in some fashion?

Just live, love, and lift for God’s sake!

:smiley:

[/quote]

The movie is disturbing in a philosophical way. Should a man balance his yin/yang, and how does he do this? Being man, should he in fact strive always to be more yang and let women be more yin?

In that case, the whole notion of gender equality goes down the toilet, for example.

Lifting, martial art, monogamous sex, are all very yang but is it enough and how do we know?

Another thought. You know what’s awesome? When people with next to no background in eastern philosophy or religion start spouting off yins and yangs like it’s supposed to mean something profound.

You know how I know? Because people who study daoism at length wouldn’t be caught dead writing an article comparing their religion to “fight club.” Nor would they start a thread asking the internet to analyze their deep thoughts (by jack handy).

Word.

I enjoyed the movie and book, but I can’t help but think that a lot of the philosophical meanderings of the author are just empty, contrived babbling.

Or maybe that’s what I just did?

I have read a bit of the Tao.

Sayings ,like all things flow to the lowest point and soft over comes hardness. There is also- he who knows does not speak.

Wouldn’t want to take things too far or I would never participate in any forums.

I think much of religion including Eastern ones aim to mute the ego.

The ego tells us there is never enough,women ,beer or what ever.

Never seen Fight Club, will have to rent it one day.

[quote]SSC wrote:
I enjoyed the movie and book, but I can’t help but think that a lot of the philosophical meanderings of the author are just empty, contrived babbling.

Or maybe that’s what I just did?[/quote]

Sometimes, I think people over analyze some really simple things that the author included just for filler.

Anyone who implements the overriding philosophy of the film is headed for a nihilistic dead end.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[/quote]

Yup. Enjoyable book and movie, but Palahniuk is WILDLY overrated, especially by the kind of people that frequent (and write for) a site like this.

And awesome comment by Travocalypse. There’s plenty of ways to be a man in 21st century America without depending on a somewhat above average work of fiction.

Quit your job, start beating yourself and otherselves up regularly, move into an abandoned shitty house and start banging a deranged mentally unstable woman.

What, doesn’t sound as good after all?

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
Another thought. You know what’s awesome? When people with next to no background in eastern philosophy or religion start spouting off yins and yangs like it’s supposed to mean something profound.

You know how I know? Because people who study daoism at length wouldn’t be caught dead writing an article comparing their religion to “fight club.” Nor would they start a thread asking the internet to analyze their deep thoughts (by jack handy).[/quote]

If you don’t want to participate in a thread, life and just about everything else (in fact, everything else) will go on happily without you.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
Quit your job, start beating yourself and otherselves up regularly, move into an abandoned shitty house and start banging a deranged mentally unstable woman.

What, doesn’t sound as good after all? [/quote]

I did that from age 20 throuh 27. It didn’t go too well. Fortunately it was before the movie was made and I wasn’t considered a poser, just a nutjob.

I’d much rather be a nutjob propelled toward my own demise by my own misguided ideas of what it means to be a man than to do essentially the same thing, just propelled by someone elses misguided ideas. That would be sad.