Implementing Strongman A.M. W/O's

hey guys, a little background info, i’ve been lifiting weights for sports and what not intermiddetly for the last few years, but only the last 6 or so months have i been serious about getting strong, i’ve put up semi-respectable numbers, 300+bench, 350+ squat, and nearly pulling 500, at 18 yrs. old… though, decidedly less impressive when taking into consideration the fact that i’m 6’5, 245ish,

anyway, as much as i love powerlifting, i am a very competitive individual (college basketball player)… and, i’m not trying to whine… just saying, i can’t forsee myself every being outstanding at powerlifiting (1500 total raw would be my goal…and that’s hardly world class)…

sooooo basically, i want to start to try to implement morestrongman training in hopes of being competitive 1 day, i currently squat mon, bench wed. and pull on fri. (btw, not trying to cop out, but, my knees are awful, and this height, all the tendonitis etc. i’ve had makes it incredibly hard to squat, i managed 335x4today, but… can hardly walk…

anyway, enough off topic, are there some basic strongman things i can do without overly compromising my powerlifting, any kinda places to point me in the right direction would be awesome.
part. b… my training partner just got a new job, and his schedule and mine are such that, the only time we can now train some days is early in the morning,

so, for wednesday, heavy bench day, we’ll be lifiting @ around 7ish am (i’m used to lifting @ around 7pm) are there any tips people cangive for not having that workout suck? (i’m going to be trying to go to bed earlier, and am thinking about caffeine/energy drinks, though i don’t usually use them, but… am not really a morning person,

any tips on this would also be appreciated, sorry for the long story/ gross post guys, and hopefully i can get some feedback, thanks

right now I do

Monday: DE upper
Tuesday: ME Lower
Wendsday: Rest
Thursday: ME upper
Friday: DE Lower
Saturday Rest
Sunday: Events (strongman training)

what you can do depends alot on what you have acess to.

Like Kalle said man many things you cna do coming from a PL background you need to get technique down and conditioning dependent on your strength levels. Get used to not so much the ONE big lift but Multiple lifts that are heavy. It doesnt seem like much but man a big difference just in breathing etc. I found

Get Implements get your hands on as many as you can get used to them, There is a ton of technique

For me been doing the following

Mon ME Upper
Tue ME Lower
Wed Off
Thurs Assistance full body
Fri Off
Sat events
sun off

with odd conditioning thrown in in the week

Think im going to give a new one a run though

Mon ME Total Body
Tue Assitance full body
Wed Off
Thurs Heavy Events
Fri Off
Sat Light events technique etc
sun off

Phill

first of all, thanks for the info. guys… i was thinking something similar to wat both of you have, however my hesitation was that it’d interfere with an ME day,do you guys find that it does for you @ all?i see that there’s only 1 days rest before either of your max effort days?..

also, any tips on what exactly i CAN do? i basically have access only to typical gym equipment, i was thinking i could do some farmers walks with to 185 or so lb barbells, some plate pinches as well as… what i’d call a poor man’s COC, maybe some med. ball throughs, but, for the most part, i’m really not sure what to do…

LASTLY!.. tomro mornin is ME bench, ANYBODY have any ideas how to prepare my body for it on this short of notice (today i woke up @ the time i’d have to wake up tomro, to get used to it, but felt tired as shit)… anyway, thanks again, and somebody PLEASE suggest something for tomro mornings workout

[quote]btlifter wrote:
first of all, thanks for the info. guys… i was thinking something similar to wat both of you have, however my hesitation was that it’d interfere with an ME day,do you guys find that it does for you @ all?i see that there’s only 1 days rest before either of your max effort days?.. [/quote]

Hmm well your a strongman now its time to change the outlook a little bit. Instead of ME day being # ! priority its now events day. If your events are getting better going UP tats what matters the gym work is to supplement the events. Youll adapt in time and find what works

[quote]
also, any tips on what exactly i CAN do? i basically have access only to typical gym equipment, i was thinking i could do some farmers walks with to 185 or so lb barbells, some plate pinches as well as… what i’d call a poor man’s COC, maybe some med. ball throughs, but, for the most part, i’m really not sure what to do…[/quote]

start collecting heavy stuff bro. BBs and DBs will be OK for farmers but not the same and actually harder they will try and spin out of your hand instead of pulling down. Do LOTS of low back work and grip work and Overhead work. These are your mainstay in Strongman.

Benching will now be a second exercise maybe. a supplement to getting your OH pressing UP. Squat and DL, zercher lifts both squat and DL will help a LOT deficit DL. OH pressing and push pressing. Cleans, Front squatting. HEAVY partial squats to get used to uber high loads and walking with them on your back. etc etc.

[quote]
LASTLY!.. tomro mornin is ME bench, ANYBODY have any ideas how to prepare my body for it on this short of notice (today i woke up @ the time i’d have to wake up tomro, to get used to it, but felt tired as shit)… anyway, thanks again, and somebody PLEASE suggest something for tomro mornings workout [/quote]

FOOD!!! lots of it LOL and rest other then that its going to take time to adapt for your body to adjust to the training take your time feel things out and just aim to progress

Phill

hey guys, in case anybody is wondering, the morning workout went so-so, i set a new PR on my bench for reps 265x2x4, no pause, it was touch& go, little to no bounce except for the 4th rep on the second set (i’m aiming to max @ 315 in about 3 weeks)…

after i benched i tried to do some strict standing millitary presses(strongmanish), i did 135x6, then 145x6 (but failed lockout on the last 2 reps), then 150x3, locking out every rep… needless to say, it was PATHETIC, i was hoping for about 190-200ish (my max seated millitary press is 230)… so, I was pretty pissed about that, but, i figure i should be able to get up to 185x3 within a few weeks/month.

then i did some tricep extensions, and rotator cuf work, then went outside and pushed my g/f’s car around trying to use as little leg as possible and just stressing my delts, and tris…

all & all, by waking up 2 hours before i had to lift, getting psyched up the night before, and eating a couple times before i lifted,the strength felt good, the only negatives were, coodination/balance on strict millit. presses, and my tendonitis on my biceps was hurting pretty bad, especially on the millit. presses and tri. extensions.

im begining to mix strongman into my workouts, i lve lifting heavy sh’t over my head, kegs, bags of soil at work -i get funny looks lol. i recomend you get a beer keg, hav party, then use keg for training. you ca do anything with a keg, presses, cleans, squats, throws, and when ur nackered, sit on it to rest! gods gift-and it comes with beer!