T Nation

Immune Response on Orals

I was wondering if while your on if you immune system gets lowered?

Why I was wondering... Recently did a small 3 week cycle of var(jury is out on that one). I was sick before the cycle, minor cold. It was gone. So I proceeded with my 3 weeks. Towards the end I got another sinus cold. Ok I am exposed to a kid in daycare all the time so this could just be par for the course. During my off time(2 weeks). I was healed up and good to go. So I proceeded with my next course of var for 3 weeks. This time I got really sick. Fever chills nasal infection, lung infection with dizziness. Not to mention this lethargic feeling from var.

I tryed to stick it out for 3 but stopped at 2 weeks. I was so weak and tired and sick by the end it was not worth continuing. I went and seen the Dr and he said allergies mixed with 2 colds back to back can cause this. Now I have asthma puffer with some kinda nasal spray and anti-biotics. Not sure what happened.

I almost want to get better this time and wait for 4 weeks and see if it happens again.

Any insights would be great, or experiences you have to offer.

Steroids that are given to treat artritis effect the immune system, not sure if this is the case forr all steroids though

"Steroids work by decreasing inflammation and reducing the activity of the immune system. Inflammation is a process by which the body’s white blood cells and chemicals protect the body against infection and foreign substances such as bacteria and viruses.

In certain diseases, however, the body’s defense system (immune system) doesn’t function properly. This may cause inflammation to work against the body’s own tissues and cause damage. Inflammation is characterized by redness, warmth, swelling and pain.

Steroids reduce the production of inflammatory chemicals in order to minimize tissue damage. Steroids also reduce the activity of the immune system by affecting the function of white blood cells."

I would not have thought that on a oral only cycle you were taking a high enough dose to have any major effect on the immune system, how much was you taking?

40 mgs ED

High doses of anabolic steroids reduce the amounts of immune globulin A, G, and M in the blood.
These proteins, known medically as IgA, IgG, and IgM, are part of the body’s humoral immune system. These antibodies that circulate in the bloodstream and attack invading bacteria. Having fewer of
them may make a person more likely to develop a serious infection.

By contrast, anabolic steroids increase the activity of the natural killer cells. Another of the body’s defenses against infection, natural killer cells are specialized white blood cells that attack specific viruses and bacteria and help to prevent tumor formation.
Increased natural killer cell activity could be helpful to the body.
However, overactive natural killer cells could also attack the body’s own tissues, leading to diseases that are known medically as “autoimmune diseases.”

I am not sure but I do not think 40mg a day will be enough to really effect your immune system so bad, I think it was just bad luck and coincidence mate.

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
Steroids that are given to treat artritis effect the immune system, not sure if this is the case forr all steroids though

"Steroids work by decreasing inflammation and reducing the activity of the immune system. Inflammation is a process by which the body’s white blood cells and chemicals protect the body against infection and foreign substances such as bacteria and viruses.

In certain diseases, however, the body’s defense system (immune system) doesn’t function properly. This may cause inflammation to work against the body’s own tissues and cause damage. Inflammation is characterized by redness, warmth, swelling and pain.

Steroids reduce the production of inflammatory chemicals in order to minimize tissue damage. Steroids also reduce the activity of the immune system by affecting the function of white blood cells."

I would not have thought that on a oral only cycle you were taking a high enough dose to have any major effect on the immune system, how much was you taking?

[/quote]

wrong steroids… this is cortico, not anabolic - they are diametric opposites

Yes I know cortisone is given to arthritic patients but the fact that steroids reduce the ability of the immune system is also correct for anabolics.

Fair point though, god knows why I was making reference to cortisone?

:slight_smile:

So basically E_E your saying that some steroids will stop immune response in some cases. But my dose of 40mgs would not be enough to do it. Is that correct?

I am not stating that as fact mate, according to the literature I have here AS will reduce the ability of your immune system, I cannot find any specific information about particular compounds and their effects, but some of the books refer to AAS as ‘high doses’ so I believe it may take more than just 40mg of Anavar to make any significant impairment to your immune system.

I have to be honest mate I am only looking this information up, I am not 100% on it, but as you are a top fella and you had no other responses I thought I would try and get some answers for you

Thanks E_E!!

Fuck soon no more pill shit. Gonna take a clean needle. Pills are a hassle.

deffo mate, I started out with a pretty needle phobia, nowadays I inject myself 2-3 times a day no worries.

Let us know when you are ready for the dark side :wink: