Immigration Reform

I agree with most of your points. I would love to see business owners who hire illegal workers end up in jail. I think that the reality of the situation is such that it’s never going to happen though. The only thing that these businesses see are profits and reducing their labor costs. Food production has a really, really low profit margin which means they are also looking for cheap labor that can work seasonally. Unfortunately that rules out so many local families.

james

Border security is a money grab…there are hundreds of agents that spend the day doing nothing now; we don’t need more of the same.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Border security is a money grab…there are hundreds of agents that spend the day doing nothing now; we don’t need more of the same. [/quote]

Maybe the US boarder agents can do what the Mexicans do on their southern boarder.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Border security is a money grab…there are hundreds of agents that spend the day doing nothing now; we don’t need more of the same. [/quote]

Maybe the US boarder agents can do what the Mexicans do on their southern boarder.[/quote]

Educate me…

I have no doubt that we could put an end to illegal immigration if it was really desired. The fact that it exists is clear evidence that what is going on is what is desired by those that have a say. There are a limited number of people that control policy/law/regulation in this country; the idea that what happens isn’t what they desire has always seemed foolish to me. Follow the dollar.

I agree totally. It’s funny that people scream “smaller government” while saying “tighten up our borders”. You can’t have both.

james

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Maybe the US boarder agents can do what the Mexicans do on their southern boarder.[/quote]

Educate me…

I have no doubt that we could put an end to illegal immigration if it was really desired. The fact that it exists is clear evidence that what is going on is what is desired by those that have a say. There are a limited number of people that control policy/law/regulation in this country; the idea that what happens isn’t what they desire has always seemed foolish to me. Follow the dollar.
[/quote]

I agree with you to a point. I also agree that if we wanted to stop it we could. I was not calling you out or anything.

Education - The Mexicans on their southern boarder have guns drawn and shoot to kill if someone comes over the boarder. Not saying the US should do this, but it would make people think twice before coming over.

There are two types of immigrants. 1) the ones who come here legally, are glad to be here, and usually try to be a good part of society. 2) the ones who come here illegally, usually are scared, and just trying to not get caught. They keep to a small community of people and add very little to society.

I got to see both sides of this. I live in Houston, a sanctuary city, and I visited New York doing some Sandy Relief to help people. The immigrants in New York were happy, and very courteous, they just wanted to help, and speak english. Immigrants in Houston not so much, they keep to their small community, and only speak their native language.

I am glad people want to come here. I just want them to come here legally. Get in line. I want business owners that hire illegals to be fined heavily, and or serve jail time.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

I agree totally. It’s funny that people scream “smaller government” while saying “tighten up our borders”. You can’t have both.

james[/quote]

How many government employees are there? What percentage are boarder agents? The second answer is less than 1%, so I think you can have both.

The people that say smaller government want the government to only do a few things, and one of those things are defend us, which includes boarder security. People that want large government wants the government to do everything for them from cradle to grave.

I was hoping you knew this, but I guess not.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
How many government employees are there? What percentage are boarder agents? The second answer is less than 1%, so I think you can have both.

The people that say smaller government want the government to only do a few things, and one of those things are defend us, which includes boarder security. People that want large government wants the government to do everything for them from cradle to grave.

I was hoping you knew this, but I guess not.[/quote]

Did you know that the U.S. government spends more on border security than on the FBI, Secret Service, DEA, U.S. Marshalls, and the ATF combined? That doesn’t sound like smaller government to me.

I don’t see securing our borders from illegals immigrants to be in the same ball park as defending the country from armed invaders. In fact we’re really not defending from terrorism because last time I checked the folks who flew into the Trade Center towers weren’t from Mexico. Therefore I don’t that tightening up the border on Mexico is necessarily keeping us safer. It also doesn’t seem to be halting the drug trafficking.

Building a wall keeps out those folks who are on foot but does nothing to stop those who are well heeled enough to use a fast boat or a plane.

I, for one, would much rather see that money going to extra beat cops to walk through our communities.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I was hoping you knew this, but I guess not.[/quote]

Did you know that the U.S. government spends more on border security than on the FBI, Secret Service, DEA, U.S. Marshalls, and the ATF combined? That doesn’t sound like smaller government to me.

I don’t see securing our borders from illegals immigrants to be in the same ball park as defending the country from armed invaders. In fact we’re really not defending from terrorism because last time I checked the folks who flew into the Trade Center towers weren’t from Mexico. Therefore I don’t that tightening up the border on Mexico is necessarily keeping us safer. It also doesn’t seem to be halting the drug trafficking.

Building a wall keeps out those folks who are on foot but does nothing to stop those who are well heeled enough to use a fast boat or a plane.

I, for one, would much rather see that money going to extra beat cops to walk through our communities.

james
[/quote]

And where would the DEA, FBI, and ATF be apart of? Defense. We all know where the bulk of the federal government goes to. Its ok to say it.

Also the world trade center bombers were not from mexico, but some of them came through there. I want ALL borders secured.

I never mentioned anything about a wall? All I mentioned was the government was to protect us from people coming here illegally. If you honestly believe that all the illegal immigrants are coming here and not breaking any other laws you are crazier than I thought.

The drugs come by sea, by plane, and by foot. To speak so black and white is what a liberal always paints an issue. This is why the government is so big. “Oh guns are bad. We must ban all guns.”

The government needs to do only a couple of things. Defense, infrastructure, and settling disputes between people (Judicial). That is it. You want to stop drug trafficking then legalize all drugs. I am not a full libertarian, but I am starting to lean that way more and more each day.

I don’t know why we tolerate the illegals coming in for the “cheap labor”. We have a surplus of labor here. It’s called Welfare. We just don’t have the politcal will to be “mean” to people and tell them NO, grab a shovel and no more freebies. For now on, instead of Welfare, we will just give you a minimum wage job.

[quote]
And where would the DEA, FBI, and ATF be apart of? Defense. We all know where the bulk of the federal government goes to. Its ok to say it.

Also the world trade center bombers were not from mexico, but some of them came through there. I want ALL borders secured.

I never mentioned anything about a wall? All I mentioned was the government was to protect us from people coming here illegally. If you honestly believe that all the illegal immigrants are coming here and not breaking any other laws you are crazier than I thought.

The drugs come by sea, by plane, and by foot. To speak so black and white is what a liberal always paints an issue. This is why the government is so big. “Oh guns are bad. We must ban all guns.”

The government needs to do only a couple of things. Defense, infrastructure, and settling disputes between people (Judicial). That is it. You want to stop drug trafficking then legalize all drugs. I am not a full libertarian, but I am starting to lean that way more and more each day.[/quote]

You’re reading a lot into my posts that simply isn’t there. Take some time to actually read my post before making a comment on it.

james

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

You’re reading a lot into my posts that simply isn’t there. Take some time to actually read my post before making a comment on it.

james
[/quote]

you to.

dmaddox

[quote]Brett620 wrote:
I don’t know why we tolerate the illegals coming in for the “cheap labor”. We have a surplus of labor here. It’s called Welfare. We just don’t have the politcal will to be “mean” to people and tell them NO, grab a shovel and no more freebies. For now on, instead of Welfare, we will just give you a minimum wage job.[/quote]

this

x1000

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Educate me…

[/quote]

Education - The Mexicans on their southern boarder have guns drawn and shoot to kill if someone comes over the boarder. Not saying the US should do this, but it would make people think twice before coming over.

[/quote]

Mexico has some of the most strict immigration laws in the world…including requiring identification on demand.

Strange that is RAYCESSSS in the U.S.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Educate me…

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mexico has some of the most strict immigration laws in the world…including requiring identification on demand.

Strange that is RAYCESSSS in the U.S.[/quote]

Well when 30% of Mexico’s GDP comes from Illegals sending money back home, the Mexican Government needs to make sure only their citizens get to America.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Educate me…

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well when 30% of Mexico’s GDP comes from Illegals sending money back home, the Mexican Government needs to make sure only their citizens get to America.
[/quote]

Good point, I’ll remember that the next time an illegal appears before congress to talk about their “rights”.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Educate me…

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmmm. Source? If so, I’ll be damned.

Here is one article to check out. I am also trying to weed through Western Union’s financial statements to see the amount of money wired to Mexico just by them during 2012, but that 10k is a bit tedious, and I am a bit tired from working so late last night.

I will say 30% might have been a bit high, but 10-15% is a more real number. $100-150 billion a year.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Here is one article to check out. I am also trying to weed through Western Union’s financial statements to see the amount of money wired to Mexico just by them during 2012, but that 10k is a bit tedious, and I am a bit tired from working so late last night.

I will say 30% might have been a bit high, but 10-15% is a more real number. $100-150 billion a year.[/quote]

According to the link you posted it was $21.2 billion in 2009

Who would have thought…actual hispanic citizens think that border control should be solved before amnesty is granted.