This isn't an easy problem to fix. Let me run down my conditions to try and clear up my stance:
1) No voting until completed the traditional citizenship process
2) Only crime on record is being here illegally.
3) 104 hours of community service a year
4) Amnesty is a temp proposition, and the amnesty card needs to be renewed a) annually if you don't owe income taxes b) bi-annually if you do owe income taxes
5) Not eligible for any (including tax credits) state assistance until traditional citizenship process is complete
6) Place in line for traditional citizenship process is BEHIND anyone who didn't stay in country illegally
I don't bother to worry about enforcement or fences, because we all know that shit won't ever happen from Washington.
And my intention is to only grant amnesty to those who would be productive members of society if given the chance, and ferret out the dregs that should just be sent home.
Common sense says you can't just let anyone and everyone flood into the country whenever they please without some sort of order. Nor do I condone giving gifts to people who broke the law. But, I do see some flaws in the law.
I'm not as much pro-amnesty as I am pro "fix the current system". So if we were to constrain those granted amnesty, the Dems looking to increase their voting stock would actually be okay with fixing the current system over gifts to criminals.