Immigration and the USA

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Ignoring LIFTICVSMAXIMVS’s bigotry, I have known many immigrants, only one was white. Actually from Australia.

To answer the question first posed, I am no expert, but I don’t think minor infractions count. Oh and if you want to sneak into the country, go south, not North. You will not make it across the Canadian boarder, only the southern boarder is easy to get across.

In one community people living in Mexico were actually sending their children across the boarder to go to school here. Kids walked across the boarder by themselves every single day, and walked back every night.

America has an extremely ignorant immigration system. Roadblocks are all over the place if you want to get in legally, and you are actually rewarded if you come here illegally. The system needs a serious overhaul to correct that, make it easier to come here legally, and to work here legally. [/quote]

Do you know much about Australis Immigration policies? If you wanna know more then let me know I did used to work for Immigration as a private security contractor at Baxter IDF

[quote]lixy wrote:
Simon Forsyth wrote:
I was thinking about flying to either Mexico or Canada… Sounds good Ehh.

Is Canada any better?

[i]"Two leading U.S. peace activists were denied entry into Canada on Wednesday after their names appeared on an FBI criminal database that the Canadian government is using at its borders. Ann Wright, a retired Army colonel and former diplomat, and Medea Benjamin, co-founder of women�??s peace group CODEPINK, were headed to Toronto to discuss peace and security issues at the invitation of the Toronto Stop the War Coalition. Canadian authorities detained and questioned them for several hours at the border crossing between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

The two women were apparently denied entry into Canada because their names appeared on an FBI-run international criminal database. Ann Wright and Medea Benjamin do have nine convictions between them, but all involving civil disobedience committed while protesting the war in Iraq.

On Thursday, they met with immigration officials at the Canadian embassy in Washington, D.C. and held a news conference outside. Ann Wright joins me now from Washington. She is a retired Army colonel and former diplomat who quit a 16-year State Department career following the invasion of Iraq in March 2003. "[/i]

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/05/1419236 [/quote]

Did I tell you to go and eat a fucking Toblerone? Obviously the humor was lost on someone like you… You need to loosen up a little and relax… Take in the whole conversation and stop trying to cause conflicts with people. Now go and finish your Toblerone and dont come back until your finished.

[quote]Simon Forsyth wrote:
When I was last in America I was hassled by customs at Chicago… They asked me what I was going to be doing in America and although the Aussie in me wanted to say “Blow the fucking place up” I figured it was best not to so I just said my purpose was pleasure. They searched my bag which irritated me but i left it at that until I got to the metal detector section thats when I had to almost strip down…

I was working for immigration at the time and understood the whole metal detector/wand procedure because I did it daily at work… But my treatment was just shitty. I think Arab guys would cop less shit because then they are open to take legal action… just a though. [/quote]

Actually, I was the only lucky mother fucker of all the people coming through customs in Australia to get pulled out and searched. This was in Brisbane. I also happened to be sick as a dog too so I found it amusing as they were plowing through my vast collection of prescription medicines. I thought they were going to say something about that, but they didn’t. They just messed up my shit and let me go.

Do you know much about Australis Immigration policies? If you wanna know more then let me know I did used to work for Immigration as a private security contractor at Baxter IDF

[/quote]
Wow, that must have been tough. I did some volunteer work teaching English to refugees, some of whom went through Baxter (2 Iranian guys). One of the guys actually spoke excellent English (University educated, he got in on the classes to learn colloquialisms and help other Iranians & Arabic speakers) and he said that some other the people there were cracking up. This guy had spent 4 years in an Iranian gaol so, to him, Baxter was not that bad. What was it like?

[quote]gotaknife wrote:
Wow, that must have been tough. I did some volunteer work teaching English to refugees, some of whom went through Baxter (2 Iranian guys). One of the guys actually spoke excellent English (University educated, he got in on the classes to learn colloquialisms and help other Iranians & Arabic speakers) and he said that some other the people there were cracking up. This guy had spent 4 years in an Iranian gaol so, to him, Baxter was not that bad. What was it like?
[/quote]

Working at Baxter IDF was, well in one word ‘Diverse’ but in two words I would sum it up as ‘Fucked up’. When I first started to work there I didn’t really care because it was all about the money and I think what initially made me crack was the fact that I had asked to be moved from compound to compound so I didn’t get to know the detainees too well and so it didn’t get personal, but after supervising the visitors centre for a while I was put into Whiskey 3 compound to sort the place out but wasn’t a supervisor and had shitty supervisors telling me what to do…

I worked with a lot of high profile detainees, I was on the ACM problem solving team (not an official name) and we would fly to other centres to do cell extractions and at one point I had to drive from Baxter IDF to another centre in another state over night… Which was fucked because the other officers I had to take with me had been drinking so I was designated Dave for the trip.

In the end I became too close (personally) to all these families and kids that it really did my head in (breaking up with my wife didn’t help the situation). I remember I had to take a guy back to Iran (a fucking great guy as well) and when we got him off the plane we handed him over to the Iranian officials and they lined him up against a wall and killed him… I think thats when I realized I was in the wrong business and I developed a drinking problem along with a painkiller problem (Vicodein).

I eventually slept with my bosses daughter and the stopped rocking up to work for a week. When I got back they wanted to fire me but I quite instead… and I stole the bosses pen…

All up I was involved in heaps of incidents so I would have to start a new thread based on what it was like and I dont think people would wanna read about it. Baxter is now closed but thats another story.

If you wanna hear my story I will start a new thread.

Simon, you’d best off asking the US Embassy in Canberra or one of the consulates in the capital cities.

AFAIK, you’ll probably need a visa as I’m sure the US doesn’t issue visa waivers to those with records.

Still, go to the horse’s mouth and ask them.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/nivfaq.html

Their website.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
Simon Forsyth wrote:
I remember I had to take a guy back to Iran (a fucking great guy as well) and when we got him off the plane we handed him over to the Iranian officials and they lined him up against a wall and killed him…

Simon,

This just CAN’T be true! Lixy says those Iranians are fine, peace-loving, democratic, justice-based folk. You must be lying! Or, maybe the US MADE them do it!

PS Sympathies for what you went through, my friend.[/quote]

And he wasn’t even Gay.

[quote]Peter1968 wrote:
Simon, you’d best off asking the US Embassy in Canberra or one of the consulates in the capital cities.

AFAIK, you’ll probably need a visa as I’m sure the US doesn’t issue visa waivers to those with records.

Still, go to the horse’s mouth and ask them.

http://canberra.usembassy.gov/consular/nivfaq.html

Their website.[/quote]

Yeah I figured I would have to do that.

I eventually slept with my bosses daughter and the stopped rocking up to work for a week. When I got back they wanted to fire me but I quite instead… and I stole the bosses pen…
[/quote]
Sounds like you had a pretty rough time, though this has to be the most hilarious way to leave a job. The “Illegal Immigrant” issue is a tough one but it is pretty clear that the current system is failing everybody. Given the paltry number of IIs that come to Australia it is a overreaction that speaks volumes about the racism that is still present in Aus culture.
Best of Luck mate.
I would be interested in hearing about your time at Baxter, maybe start a thread if you feel up to it.