T Nation

Immigrating to America

I was wondering if anyone had any insight in what it takes to become an american citizen?

One of my goals is to live in america, I’m 21 now and aim to be living there by my early thirties, and I’m looking into what path I need to take to make it happen.

I’ve done ‘some’ reading, the general consensus seems to be that the process is extremely difficult and tries to put you off at every turn, anyways I’m a determined person so if it’s possible then I’ll do it.

So has anyone ever gone through this process personally? Or know someone who has? I’m just trying to find some clarity on the steps I need to take.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any insight in what it takes to become an american citizen?

One of my goals is to live in america, I’m 21 now and aim to be living there by my early thirties, and I’m looking into what path I need to take to make it happen.

I’ve done ‘some’ reading, the general consensus seems to be that the process is extremely difficult and tries to put you off at every turn, anyways I’m a determined person so if it’s possible then I’ll do it.

So has anyone ever gone through this process personally? Or know someone who has? I’m just trying to find some clarity on the steps I need to take.
[/quote]

Well, I used to date a Brazilian girl who was not a citizen, and she said that the process was similar to what you say- very difficult, very long, very ardous. For a country of immigrants that likes to complain about other illegal immigrants, we aren’t all that welcoming.

Good luck.

Its worth it, sir. We are the top dawg in the world. Join us or be destroyed us.

Just go into Mexico first, and the it’s easy to get here. Find someone that calls themselves ‘El Coyote’ and they’ll bring you in the back way

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Just go into Mexico first, and the it’s easy to get here. Find someone that calls themselves ‘El Coyote’ and they’ll bring you in the back way[/quote]

I concur, learn to speak a little Spanish and you’re in like Flint.

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Just go into Mexico first, and the it’s easy to get here. Find someone that calls themselves ‘El Coyote’ and they’ll bring you in the back way[/quote]

Got it, otherwise I was going to get voice lessons, perfect an american accent, then while on holiday in america I would pretend to completely lose my memory thus tricking everyone into thinking I am american!

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

Got it, otherwise I was going to get voice lessons, perfect an american accent, then while on holiday in america I would pretend to completely lose my memory thus tricking everyone into thinking I am american![/quote]

Which american accent? Theres about 30 different ones lol. I say you go for a Minnesota accent.

You’d have to quit saying “on holiday” though.

Its very very difficult. You really need to transfer with a company on a temporary work visa and try from there. Or get married.

Best bet would be to catch some disease that can only be treated in America, then get everyone you know and then some to sign you up for some program that ships invalids and diseased folk to our hospitals and hope the treatment works. Once you’re healthy just book it from the hospital…you’re pale enough to not be arrested for being illegal.

Who Cares! Immigrating to America Sucks!

V

You’ll be back in sunny England within the month!

come here, seduce and american chick, marry her…easy enough if you ask me

Perhaps you could come to Vermont and we could become gay partners and marry. I’m willing to bite the bullet. (No Homo)

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

Got it, otherwise I was going to get voice lessons, perfect an american accent, then while on holiday in america I would pretend to completely lose my memory thus tricking everyone into thinking I am american![/quote]

Which american accent? Theres about 30 different ones lol. I say you go for a Minnesota accent. [/quote]

This is less and less true. Southern accents, for example, seem to be rapidly disappearing. I think TV is swiftly homogenising the country. Minnesota is cool though - sounds like Canada!

[quote]Big_Dave wrote:
Perhaps you could come to Vermont and we could become gay partners and marry. I’m willing to bite the bullet. (No Homo)[/quote]

Sounds great, i’ll ask the GF if she’s down for MMF on the side.

I’m working on a special effects degree at the moment, that hopefully should open up a few american companies for me to work for…

To OP

As someone who has done exactly what you want to do (Newcastle and now living in San Diego). I did a degree, got a PhD then did some postdoc work and applied to postdoc out here for up to 5 years.

First question I’d ask is why do you want to live out here? What are the benefits to you, what are the negatives to you?

I would seriously consider getting a job with a firm that has an American office and trying to get some time out here working and more importantly living out here. You may find you hate it or you may find you love it but you’ll have minimised your expenditure by not rushing in and try to become a citizen first.

It may look like American culture is similar to ours but there are plenty of differences to make it just annoying enough sometimes.

Me personally, after I got over the language difference (Although we may share the same words, it’s a different language) I have grown to love living out here; plus living in nigh on perpetual sun shine helps!

[quote]nrt wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

Which american accent? Theres about 30 different ones lol. I say you go for a Minnesota accent. [/quote]

This is less and less true. Southern accents, for example, seem to be rapidly disappearing. I think TV is swiftly homogenising the country. Minnesota is cool though - sounds like Canada!
[/quote]

If it sounds like Canada, how can it be cool???

going rate to marry for a green card is $10k in Miami. I know because my Colombian friend floated the idea of me marrying his gf for citizenship the other night. A venezuelan frind of mine did it years ago for the same price, we gringos are getting cheaper indexed to inflation.