T Nation

Immediate PWO Nutrition

Just wondering what solid food I can shove into my mouth imediately after workouts. I wanna get some carbs straight in there followed by some protein.
I know that Post-WorkOut shakes like Surge and all those prescribed on the store here are great but the bottom line is I simply can’t afford them.

I do have some whey protein and a shaker bottle in which to easily take it in the morning and PWO but I assume I need to ingest some carbs and spike insulin first, and the sooner the better.

So I’m just curious as to what foods I can maybe sove into my gym bag and consume as I leave the gym. Any suggestions y’all…?

Buy some powdered glucose to add, it’s cheap and spikes insulin nicely.

Well, as far as Solid Foods go, you can always opt for a piece of fruit, although I prefer (as I’m sure many on here know by now) to enjoy pop tart with my PWO Whey shake.

S

If I could read, I would have noticed that you said solid foods as mentioned again by Stu so I appologize for that. Fruit is definately easy to just throw in your bag, you could also grab a few granola bars too.

Fruit sounds nice, I intend to be snacking on that stuff anyways.

I was kinda thinking about just keeping a sandwich or two in my gym bag(in a lunch box or something, obviously) and just eating that as I walk outta the gym, followed staright away by whey-protein shake…?

I like the idea of powdered glucose though. Is it commercially availible?(I.E. Chemists or health food shops)

You can buy it most easily online.

Edit:Just found out it is availiable in my locality

Is it advised to mix glucose powder with milk…?
'Cos I was thinking about simply adding it into my whey/milk pwo shake or would I have to take it with water seperately…?

I have read that you have a “window” of about one hour to get in the post workout nutrition. How about an orange (per Thib) and low fat chocolate milk (Ferruggia/McDonald)?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Well, as far as Solid Foods go, you can always opt for a piece of fruit, although I prefer (as I’m sure many on here know by now) to enjoy pop tart with my PWO Whey shake.

S
[/quote]

I hope you eat the brown sugar pop tarts, anything else is just a waste…

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I hope you eat the brown sugar pop tarts, anything else is just a waste…[/quote]

those are good! but SMORES are awesome too. anything with the graham cracker crust.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

I hope you eat the brown sugar pop tarts, anything else is just a waste…[/quote]

haha!!! after I kept reading that Stu eats these PWO I had to buy a box! I bought the FiberChoice ones that are brown sugar cinnamon, a little more protein and fiber.

but you can only eat one, not two… two are in the package.

Lmao- I’m gonna have a whole bunch of converts here! I’ve actually picked up a bunch of the Fiber One Pop Tarts myself (dunno if they’re actually any healthier, but they taste great). I usually have the brown sugar ones (yes, a favorite of mine as well), or lately I found a choc frosted chocolate one, which is amazing. They’re hard to find, but Kellogs makes a mint choc chip flavor, that I like to put in the freezer!

It’s so funny the looks I get at the gym when younger dudes see me eating a pop tart with my whey shake, but it’s as much a mental thing for me, as nutritional selection (I feel like I’m getting away with something, so staying on my diet is a lot easier with something to look foward to).

S

Powdered gatorade and whey of your choice.

I just don’t see how an apple and some granola bars or milk delivers enough protein. At best, milk has 10g of protein per serving… and chocolate is going to have 20+ g of sugar.

Choccy Pop-Tarts are the only ones worth knowing about! I was mildly addicted to the things a few weeks ago…

Anyways, turns out that powdered glucose is very very cheap and easily accessible around my area so I picked some up on my way home from work earlier. Out of curiosity I tried some whey, milk and powdered glucose a while ago. Definately drinkable, so I’m only left with one question…
Should I drink the glucose first and then the whey or would just mixing the two in by ok…?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Powdered gatorade and whey of your choice.

I just don’t see how an apple and some granola bars or milk delivers enough protein. At best, milk has 10g of protein per serving… and chocolate is going to have 20+ g of sugar.[/quote]

Of course they don’t deliver enough protien, that’s what the protein shake is for. But since the why I have doesn’t contain any carbs I was just looking for a quick cheap carb sourse so that the protein could be absorbed easier and quicker

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
Fruit sounds nice, I intend to be snacking on that stuff anyways.

I was kinda thinking about just keeping a sandwich or two in my gym bag(in a lunch box or something, obviously) and just eating that as I walk outta the gym, followed staright away by whey-protein shake…?

I like the idea of powdered glucose though. Is it commercially availible?(I.E. Chemists or health food shops)[/quote]

Yes you can get it off the internet and many health food shops carry it. You will probably have better success if you look online for dextrose, which is glucose (d-glucose actually). It’s my choice PWO as well

I love brown sugar pop tarts. I’m almost out of Surge, and I have an order of Grow! Whey coming in, so I’ll have to start including a PWOPT.

Can I have two on leg day?

[quote]SolidGround wrote:
Yes you can get it off the internet and many health food shops carry it. You will probably have better success if you look online for dextrose, which is glucose (d-glucose actually). It’s my choice PWO as well[/quote]

Turns out a local chemist has monohydrate dextrose very cheap so I was pretty happy about simply stumbling across it earlier today

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I love brown sugar pop tarts. I’m almost out of Surge, and I have an order of Grow! Whey coming in, so I’ll have to start including a PWOPT.

Can I have two on leg day?[/quote]

If having two doesn’t put you over your #s for the day. When I have my ‘High Day’ in my rotation, I get about 250g of carbs. PWO is one of the best times to shovel it in (but be careful NOT to go over, unless your bulking)

S