I'm Very Stubborn. Am I In The Wrong?

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:

14 months though? That’s a long time. I don’t know. I once rented a place for about a year and a half. I had roommates coming and going. Well, the “longest” one there (the one who had been their longest) was about to leave in a week. Some former roommate, who I never met, swung by asking for stuff out of the garage. The “longest” roommate said it was theirs, so I/we let them have it. But I told them they were lucky, had they come a week later, I certainly would not have let them have it.

I guess, to me, it comes down to what you thought was the deal at the time and what the shed is worth. Sounds like it was more of a gentleman’s agreement than a firm legal one, so what was the agreement? If their was a misunderstanding, those things should be worked out now, IMO. Perhaps a “storage fee”?

Why did you buy something w/o any real documentation? Was this a friend or a friend-of-a-friend? I feel like there are pieces missing from this story.

eh, my 2 cents[/quote]

there is no “misunderstanding”. OP does not own the land. the shed is situated upon the land. he purchased a trailer, not a shed. it does not belong to him under any reasonable analysis - legal or otherwise. and since the owner did not sell the land upon which the shed is situated, you could not even stretch the facts to claim some type of abandonment of the shed. it doesn’t matter how long it’s been sitting there - THEY own the land.

this is really very simple. it’s not his. [/quote]

I thought a 3rd party owned the land and the 2nd party was claiming it was theirs. If the 2nd party owned the land, I guess I could understand your post. I guess I agree with other posters who mention he should talk to the landowner to see what they have to say.

[/quote]

no matter. he doesn’t own the shed.

/thread

You own the trailer, not the shed. If anything, the land owner could probably take ownership of the shed and claim it as being abandoned on their property by a former tenant.

This is more complicated than it needs to be. Tell the landowner that the previous tenants intend to take the shed, if only to cover your own ass. If it is the landowner’s shed, you won’t be hassled for letting someone take it, and it will stay where it is, so you can still use it - even if it isn’t yours.

If it isn’t theirs, give it up…

Ask the third party and you’ll know exactly where you stand either way.

14 months though? That’s a long time. I don’t know. I once rented a place for about a year and a half. I had roommates coming and going. Well, the “longest” one there (the one who had been their longest) was about to leave in a week. Some former roommate, who I never met, swung by asking for stuff out of the garage. The “longest” roommate said it was theirs, so I/we let them have it. But I told them they were lucky, had they come a week later, I certainly would not have let them have it.

I guess, to me, it comes down to what you thought was the deal at the time and what the shed is worth. Sounds like it was more of a gentleman’s agreement than a firm legal one, so what was the agreement? If their was a misunderstanding, those things should be worked out now, IMO. Perhaps a “storage fee”?

Why did you buy something w/o any real documentation? Was this a friend or a friend-of-a-friend? I feel like there are pieces missing from this story.

eh, my 2 cents[/quote]

there is no “misunderstanding”. OP does not own the land. the shed is situated upon the land. he purchased a trailer, not a shed. it does not belong to him under any reasonable analysis - legal or otherwise. and since the owner did not sell the land upon which the shed is situated, you could not even stretch the facts to claim some type of abandonment of the shed. it doesn’t matter how long it’s been sitting there - THEY own the land.

this is really very simple. it’s not his. [/quote]

I thought a 3rd party owned the land and the 2nd party was claiming it was theirs. If the 2nd party owned the land, I guess I could understand your post. I guess I agree with other posters who mention he should talk to the landowner to see what they have to say.

[/quote]

no matter. he doesn’t own the shed.

/thread[/quote]

lol. This is the as close as thebodyguard will ever come to “oops, my mistake”