I'm Trying to Grow, Help Please!

Congrats on setting goals and asking for some help.

Lots of decent advice on exercise selection but many of these (squat and dead variations for example) do have specific techniques to do them properly. Otherwise, there is a risk of injury and you won’t be moving the poundages you could be which will limit effectiveness. Plus, being told to lift like a powerlifter might not mean much to you at this point. I don’t know your level of experience.

How comfortable are you with proper setup and execution of squats, deadlifts, etc.?

Also, upping the calories a bit is probably a good idea likely from protein sources. If you don’t eat enough you will likely achieve fat loss but your legs won’t grow. But, it is hard to give advice if we don’t know how you eat now. Feel free to share if you wish. And, 3500 calories does not equal a gain of a pound a week…it is not that simple. But don’t worry about that too much just let the mirror be your guide.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

Lots of decent advice on exercise selection but many of these (squat and dead variations for example) do have specific techniques to do them properly. Otherwise, there is a risk of injury and you won’t be moving the poundages you could be which will limit effectiveness. Plus, being told to lift like a powerlifter might not mean much to you at this point. I don’t know your level of experience.

How comfortable are you with proper setup and execution of squats, deadlifts, etc.?

Also, upping the calories a bit is probably a good idea likely from protein sources. If you don’t eat enough you will likely achieve fat loss but your legs won’t grow. But, it is hard to give advice if we don’t know how you eat now. Feel free to share if you wish. And, 3500 calories does not equal a gain of a pound a week…it is not that simple. But don’t worry about that too much just let the mirror be your guide.[/quote]

hi! I’m comfortable performing squats and dead lifts the only problem is that I have never pushed too much weight. I eat between 1600-1700 calories. I usually would aim for 130g of protein, carbs approximately 150g and the rest fats on exercise days. I haven’t been as structured as I could be. I own a food scale and I do measure portions. I rarely eat out and I’m really good when it comes to food. I’m very familiar with clean eating and I cook all of my own food.

I have a bench, bar and dbs. I just started working out again so I was only lifting 40pnds while squatting. I know that isn’t much and my body has already grown accustomed to the weight so I will continue to increase the weight on the bar accordingly. I know I cannot consume 3500 calories. Most men I know couldn’t muster to eat so much. I had planned to eat close to 200g of carbs , 140g of protein and the rest fats to eat close to 1800 if not a little over on workout days.I also plan to increase my cals slowly but I do not think I should ever surpass 2300. I would not mind gaining anywhere from 10-15 pnds but I do not want to expand my waist line.

One of my problems is that I read too much and I become confused with so much information. I’m just going to design one plan and stick to it and adjust from there. Any more advice would be appreciate, thanks!

[quote]amory wrote:
giterdone wrote:

Also, upping the calories a bit is probably a good idea likely from protein sources. If you don’t eat enough you will likely achieve fat loss but your legs won’t grow. But, it is hard to give advice if we don’t know how you eat now. Feel free to share if you wish. And, 3500 calories does not equal a gain of a pound a week…it is not that simple. But don’t worry about that too much just let the mirror be your guide.

hi! I’m comfortable performing squats and dead lifts the only problem is that I have never pushed too much weight. I eat between 1600-1700 calories. I usually would aim for 130g of protein, carbs approximately 150g and the rest fats on exercise days. I haven’t been as structured as I could be. I own a food scale and I do measure portions. I rarely eat out and I’m really good when it comes to food. I’m very familiar with clean eating and I cook all of my own food.

I have a bench, bar and dbs. I just started working out again so I was only lifting 40pnds while squatting. I know that isn’t much and my body has already grown accustomed to the weight so I will continue to increase the weight on the bar accordingly. I know I cannot consume 3500 calories. Most men I know couldn’t muster to eat so much. I had planned to eat close to 200g of carbs , 140g of protein and the rest fats to eat close to 1800 if not a little over on workout days.I also plan to increase my cals slowly but I do not think I should ever surpass 2300. I would not mind gaining anywhere from 10-15 pnds but I do not want to expand my waist line.

One of my problems is that I read too much and I become confused with so much information. I’m just going to design one plan and stick to it and adjust from there. Any more advice would be appreciate, thanks! [/quote]

So you work out at home…correct? If so, you might want to check out this thread to get an idea of what can be accomplished with basic exercises at home

And, I didn’t mean to suggest 3500 calories a day. Ramp calories gradually as you suggested.

Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges

Also, even if you don’t post them it’s good to take pics so then you can see how much you have grown in the months. At least take a few every month and then in a year you can be like holy damn look at me now. :slight_smile:

[quote]giterdone wrote:
amory wrote:
giterdone wrote:

One of my problems is that I read too much and I become confused with so much information. I’m just going to design one plan and stick to it and adjust from there. Any more advice would be appreciate, thanks!

So you work out at home…correct? If so, you might want to check out this thread to get an idea of what can be accomplished with basic exercises at home

And, I didn’t mean to suggest 3500 calories a day. Ramp calories gradually as you suggested.[/quote]

Yes, that is correct .I do work out at home. As for the 3500 cals , I did not think you were suggesting that. It was in response to a previous post. Thank you, you have been truly helpful.

[quote]giterdone wrote:
amory wrote:
giterdone wrote:

And, I didn’t mean to suggest 3500 calories a day. Ramp calories gradually as you suggested.[/quote]

MY GOODNESS! She looks amazing! I spilled my tea on my chest when I scrolled down.

[quote]amory wrote:
giterdone wrote:
amory wrote:
giterdone wrote:

And, I didn’t mean to suggest 3500 calories a day. Ramp calories gradually as you suggested.

Yes, that is correct .I do work out at home. As for the 3500 cals , I did not think you were suggesting that. It was in response to a previous post. Thank you, you have been truly helpful.[/quote]

OK, if you are at home then squats are likely going to be a challenge. At some point your legs will demand more weight than you will be able to lift overhead. But there are lots of great alternatives (many listed above and you may know all this already);

Quad options - snatch grip (take a wide hand spacing on the bar) deadlifts. This forces you down into a squat stance. Lunges, particularly with a shorter step (walking lunges are my fav). Dumbbell squats (hold at your side. some like them, I hate 'em)

Hams / Glutes - deadlifts (standard, romanian, stiff leg), single leg deads, lunges with a long stride.

Reps - there are volumes written about the perfect rep range…there isn’t any. To keep it simple, if I can get 10-12 reps with a weight in a particular movement, then the next workout I add weight. Always try to do either more weight or more reps. Sometimes you will do it, sometimes you won’t but always bust your ass to try and do better. I write everything down (not everyone does but it works for me) so I know exactly what I did the last time and it mentally sets me up with a target to shoot for.

Another quick thought (feel free to tell me stop at any point). Even though legs are an area that you want to specialize on, I would suggest that you shouldn’t ignore the other major muscles.

You probably know this but;

• Deads are great for back development (I am a sucker for upper back definition) so you should have that covered.
  • Overhead barbell or DB pressing is great for shoulders.
  • Bench press or push up variations will take care of chest.

Of course there are other movements but that is a start.

OK, if you are at home then squats are likely going to be a challenge. At some point your legs will demand more weight than you will be able to lift overhead. But there are lots of great alternatives (many listed above and you may know all this already);

Quad options - snatch grip (take a wide hand spacing on the bar) deadlifts. This forces you down into a squat stance. Lunges, particularly with a shorter step (walking lunges are my fav). Dumbbell squats (hold at your side. some like them, I hate 'em)

Hams / Glutes - deadlifts (standard, romanian, stiff leg), single leg deads, lunges with a long stride.

Reps - there are volumes written about the perfect rep range…there isn’t any. To keep it simple, if I can get 10-12 reps with a weight in a particular movement, then the next workout I add weight. Always try to do either more weight or more reps. Sometimes you will do it, sometimes you won’t but always bust your ass to try and do better. I write everything down (not everyone does but it works for me) so I know exactly what I did the last time and it mentally sets me up with a target to shoot for.
[/quote]

I purchased a journal recently and I will start to record everything to do with nutrition and workouts. I had given some thought to the squat weight, I’m considering purchasing a squat rack/power cage once I reach a weight I cannot lift overhead. I’m also considering joining a gym, I had before and I hated it. Squatting with db’s at each side is uncomfortable for me as well. I’m going to purchase vitamins tomorrow and I will create my workout over the weekend. Short term and long term goals. Thanks again!

[quote]amory wrote:

I purchased a journal recently and I will start to record everything to do with nutrition and workouts. I had given some thought to the squat weight, I’m considering purchasing a squat rack/power cage once I reach a weight I cannot lift overhead. I’m also considering joining a gym, I had before and I hated it. Squatting with db’s at each side is uncomfortable for me as well. I’m going to purchase vitamins tomorrow and I will create my workout over the weekend. Short term and long term goals. Thanks again![/quote]

If you buy a power cage you will officially ROCK! :slight_smile:

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Another quick thought (feel free to tell me stop at any point). Even though legs are an area that you want to specialize on, I would suggest that you shouldn’t ignore the other major muscles.

• Deads are great for back development (I am a sucker for upper back definition) so you should have that covered.

[/quote]

Actually, I’m glad you brought this up, I need some serious work on my upper body. I know this will not be as difficult as adding size to my lower body. I’m thigh obsessed! I do not know too much about upper body exercises. I have only performed push ups, shoulder press, dips, bent over rows and curls. If I could do one pull up I would be ecstatic! I want nice arms and a fit but compact upper body. Most of my energy will definitely be geared towards my thighs. A power cage would be awesome…

[quote]amory wrote:
giterdone wrote:

Actually, I’m glad you brought this up, I need some serious work on my upper body. I know this will not be as difficult as adding size to my lower body. I’m thigh obsessed! I do not know too much about upper body exercises. I have only performed push ups, shoulder press, dips, bent over rows and curls. If I could do one pull up I would be ecstatic! I want nice arms and a fit but compact upper body. Most of my energy will definitely be geared towards my thighs. A power cage would be awesome…[/quote]

Those exercises (push ups, shoulder press, dips, bent over rows and curls) are all fine choices and cover the basics. No need to make it complicated at this point.

Pull ups and chin ups (palms facing you) are tough. Chins are often easier than pullups so you might start there and progress to chins. You can also start with the negative (boost yourself up and lower slowly) in order to build some initial strength then move to doing them from a dead hang.