I'm Trying a New Workout

[quote]shwizle wrote:

College life (and most lives for that matter) are to hectic and chaotic to have planned meals, in the sense that I know what and how much I am going to eat, every day. I don’t have a normal daily routine. Yes, I am sure there could be away around this, but then its priority would go above work, academics, and friends/family.

I am not that much of a fitness fanatic. I want to get stronger and bigger, and I’m willing to put forth a lot of effort (ie: going to the gym 5x a week, eating healthy, eating lots of food and consuming lots of protein, etc), but there is a limit.[/quote]

Well, I am sure alot of people here have gone to college. I know it can appear hectic. However… (not sure on your school) - We had meal cards with pre-set amount of money on it. You basically can go in the Cafe, order up just about anything, then swipe that lil card. I honestly dont see how hard it is. Supps you can get on your own, but I seen plenty of fellas loading up on egg whites in the mornings, a few chicken breasts, veggies, fruits, etc. You can even buy food in the morning and save it for later in your dorm room (or even home).

But I do think it is somewhat in your head still - you can make a commitment, even with the hectic schedule.

You also say you arnt a fitness fanatic. I wont say I am one either nor anywhere near an expert - but, you dont have to love fitness but I think being a fanatic reader does help.

So in short my advice: Fanatically read articles here AND use that meal card to design diet goals.

Hell man could be worse… Could be marooned on an island with even less options! hahaha

T-Islander

Ok, so maybe you’re legitimately a hardgainer. Nevertheless, the laws of thermodynamics apply to you. Get your training and diet in line and you will gain weight. It doesn’t need to be all clean calories easier. You want to get some solid calories from healthy, clean sources of protein, fat, and carbs to have the building blocks to build muscle. But you can supplement your intake with plenty of easy, convenient, calorie-dense ‘junk’ food to get the calories you need. That’s the advantage of being a ‘hardgainer’. If you do this you’ll gain muscle. If you don’t, you won’t.

[quote]JimmyOZ wrote:
if you want it enough, you will do it… it all sounds like it is in your head
[/quote]

Exactly.

College is no more of an excuse than someone saying they work full-time and have a family.

If you want it bad enough, you can make it work.

Go read the “School Days” articles by Steve Berardi in the archives. It’s intended for those in college that can’t seem to get it together with training and nutrition.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1122776117101.IMG_1796.jpg

Enclosed is a picture of me flexing.

Ok so I fianlly have a meal log from 3 days, and a pic. Each day includes a mix drink of my weight gainer, peantu butter, oats, and flaxseed oil.

FRIDAY: Breakfast: Cinamen Toast Crucnh cereal w/ organic whole milk.
Snack: Burrito + Peach
Lunch: Quizno’s Angus Steak Sandwhich + Carrot Cake
DInner: Slice of brocoli pizza, soda, ice cream

SATURDAY: Breakfast:Cinamen Toast Crucnh cereal w/ organic whole milk.
Lunch: Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Salad w/ fresh mozz, icecream
Snack: HUGE organic n fresh salmon burrito
Dinner: Chicken Burrotp w/ Friot Blend Drink
Snack: Ice cream

SUNDAY: Breakfast: Sausage, Egg + cheese Sandwhich
snack: Clif Bar
Lunch: Mac + CHeese, French Fries, Frfied Chicken, Salad, Cake
Snack: Rice w/ hot sause, salad, cake
Dinner: Perogies w/ sour cream

[quote]shwizle wrote:
FRIDAY: Breakfast: Cinamen Toast Crucnh cereal w/ organic whole milk.
Snack: Burrito + Peach
Lunch: Quizno’s Angus Steak Sandwhich + Carrot Cake
DInner: Slice of brocoli pizza, soda, ice cream

SATURDAY: Breakfast:Cinamen Toast Crucnh cereal w/ organic whole milk.
Lunch: Roast Beef, Mashed Potatoes, Salad w/ fresh mozz, icecream
Snack: HUGE organic n fresh salmon burrito
Dinner: Chicken Burrotp w/ Friot Blend Drink

SUNDAY: Breakfast: Sausage, Egg + cheese Sandwhich
snack: Clif Bar
Lunch: Mac + CHeese, French Fries, Frfied Chicken, Salad, Cake
Snack: Rice w/ hot sause, salad, cake
Dinner: Perogies w/ sour cream
Snack: Ice cream[/quote]

Wow. Your diet is pretty damn shitty. Not only are you eating some crap (ice cream, french fries), but you’re still not eating enough to gain. Do you eat a lot of fast food or take out? Many of your meal choices reflect that.

If you’re truly a skinny, hardgaining bastard, then you may need things like pizza and burgers in your diet, but you should definitely strive for a lot better than what you are doing.

No wonder you don’t gain.

My two year old duaghter eats more than that.

Eat more meals a day, eat more protein, chicken breats and beef.

That diet is terrible.

Did I say you need to eat more?

If you have trouble eating more then drink three shakes a day, then eat some more.

any comments regarding my pic?

Just gonna throw my two cents in on your diet…

1. More fruits and vegetables… you’re really hurting in that department

2. A bowl of cereal or a small breakfast sandwiche is not going to cut it. After sleeping for several hours your body needs a lot more nutrients than your going to get from a bowl of cereal. Here is one my favorites that’s easy to prepare: MIX 1 Cup plain yogurt, 1 scoop protein powder, ~60 grams of oats… mix it all up and you have another 500 solid calories when your body needs them most.

3. Switch out your nightly ice cream with a protein shake made with whole milk. It tastes better and it’ll grow you a hell of a lot quicker than a bowl of fucking Breyers. Before you hit the sack you’re going to want protein in your body that’ll carry you a few hours into the night. Try 1.5 cup of cottage cheese or another protein shake.

4. Supplement with a multivitamin…anything is better than nothing. The absence of this in your diet can hamper your gains.

Based on your current stats and diet I would not consider you to be a hard gainer. I could be wrong, but try some of the suggestions above (an extra 800-1000 calories) and see where that gets you.

Good luck man. Shoot me up if you want any more suggestions.

-Acogida

[quote]shwizle wrote:
any comments regarding my pic?[/quote]

It looks like you don’t eat enough.

Listen to what you are being told. There is enough good advice on here already that, if you actually took it, you wouldn’t need to post any pics, or post another workout.

Eat big. Eat often. Drink tons of milk.

Read!!! Excuses are for the quitters, the fat asses, and the skinny bastards. If you want to grow you will find a way to achieve it. If you want someone to hold your hand and agree that you can’t gain weight, you are in the wrong place.

[quote]shwizle wrote:
any comments regarding my pic?[/quote]

Yes. If you crop it off at the head and pants, it looks like an alien from Star Wars making a surprised face.

Realy man, You have to read some of the stuff that the coaches here provide, and use it in the gym. If you want a strong fundamental education in weight training, pick up a copy of Ian Kings Get Buffed. After that a lot of this stuff will make a lot more sense.

Hey All,

I’m looking for a new workout. I’ve looked at T.C. Waterbury’s workout plans, however they are a little too “intense for me.” I feel that his workouts are directed towards people who aim to be true body builders. I on the other hand, am just looking to bulk up a little more, and get more cut. I am still doing my arms, shoulders, chest, legs, back workout. I’m looking for a better, generally simplistic workout plan. I am not trying to take “an easy way out” here. I am just looking to revise my current workout plan, without changing anything too drastically. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Ivan

PS: About me: 135 lbs, 19 yrs old, have Worked out for last year

not to get too off topic but back to the diet thing and how your a college student and all, I am also 19 and am in college. I make sure to eat 5-6 times a day full of fruits, veggis, fiber, protien and all the other good stuff. Although I don’t count every carb or calorie, (at least not yet( I do make sure to get at least 200grams of protien a day and roughly 3,000 calories a day (I am currently 164lbs).buy a george forman griller; i got mine for 20$ @ best buy and its the best cooking aid any man can have. it cooks chicken in four minutes! while thats grilling boil some pasta and veggis, that takes about 10 minutes. although not the greatest tasting thing in the world, its quick and healthy! just a matter of staying disciplined, that’s all!

-beefster

Trust me man, you’re not a hardgainer. I used to be naturally skinny and eat the same way you do. Read up on massive eating and you’ll see what you’ll need to be eating. For example, I’m a 17 y/o soccer player who’s maintaining weight and gaining strength preaseason right now. We just got back from Costco, and guess what we have in the fridge:

20 individual packets of lean chicken (about 6-8 oz. each)
3 lbs of small tomatoes
12 lettuce heads
4 lbs of baby carrots
6 tubs (tubs, not little pussy containers) of cottage cheese
1 gallon of 1% milk
26 (I think) apples
12 pears
10 bananas
3 litres of orange juice
1 gallon of cranberry juice
3 packets of crystallized ginger

Notice this is just my fridge, and that almost everything perishes in less than 2 weeks. Guess what that means? We’re (me and my dad) gonna have to eat all that in less than two weeks. This is in addition to the tuna, oatmeal, pasta, rice, Grow! bars, and whey shakes that I eat regularly, plus the tablespoons of olive oil, fish oil capsules, slices of whole cheese, etc. This is the type of stuff you need to be eating (possibly excluding the last 3 items on my fridge list; my dad has slight cholesterol problems).

[quote]shwizle wrote:
Hey All,

I’m looking for a new workout. I’ve looked at T.C. Waterbury’s workout plans, however they are a little too “intense for me.” I feel that his workouts are directed towards people who aim to be true body builders. I on the other hand, am just looking to bulk up a little more, and get more cut. I am still doing my arms, shoulders, chest, legs, back workout. I’m looking for a better, generally simplistic workout plan. I am not trying to take “an easy way out” here. I am just looking to revise my current workout plan, without changing anything too drastically. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Ivan

PS: About me: 135 lbs, 19 yrs old, have Worked out for last year[/quote]

“half-assed effort yeilds half-assed results”

since your a “hardgainer” you’ll proboably have to work a little “harder”; this means training a little smarter, eating a little more, and for your own benifit “reading”. yes educate yourself, noone’s going to do everything for you. give one of Waterbury’s programs a shot. whadduya got to lose? again, just a matter of disciplining yourself!

-beefster

[quote]shwizle wrote:
Hey All,

-Ivan

You’re kidding me. After all the good advice you got, you stuck with that shitty workout plan? Change your damn plan! Don’t be a pussy! Here, I’ll do the work for you. Do CHAD Waterbury’s Big Boy Basics.

Not TC Waterbury. Unless TC married CW and took the feminine role. Ask him about this in the next Prime Time.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459533

Are you eating more? Two months go by and you haven’t gained a damn pound? Why didn’t you take the advice that was given to you.

Do you think that following a Waterbury or Thibaudeau workout is going to turn you into a huge IFBB pro or something, and that’s why you’re being a pussy and sticking to your shit workout? To put on any muscle at all (and you need a LOT), you have to follow a good lifting program. You are not following even a mediocre program. And you have to eat! Go raid your college’s cafeteria! Eat some candy bars! Have a cheeseburger or five.

Why anyone would decide they want to stick to something that is obviously not working when they’ve been told what to do to fix it is beyond me.

[quote]shwizle wrote:
Hey All,

-Ivan

Oh. My. God.

I think I just had an embolism. Reading this quote literally gave me a stroke, and not a good one like Vegita’s Ass Worship thread, either.

You are without a doubt the dumbest, most pussified, ass carnivore I have ever come across. I have eaten pasta that has more get and go than you do. You got some excellent advice on this thread, and you turn around after showing no improvement and say “fuck you all, I still know better”. Why the fuck did you post at all?

Please stop posting since you are obviously content having the build of a 12 year old girl. When you save up and buy some testicles, come back and have a chat and listen.

And another thing - how the fuck did this abortion get three stars???

I’m not sure if this post is for real, but will assume it is:

When I was 17 I was 135 at 5’11, when I was 19 I was 185 at 6% bodyfat.

I ate 5 solid meals a day, all from good food choices: rice, egg whites, chicken, bread, beans, veggies, pb and jelly sandwiches, protein powder, baked potatoes. Every meal was as much food as I could handle, I would eat until I could eat no more, then within 2-3.5 hours I would eat again. My post-workout meal was a quart of milk, 1-2 bagels and 1-2 pieces of fruit, total cost around 2$.

Dump the crappy food, do your best to eat solid meals 5 times a day or more.

Every time I thought I had a better way I was wrong.

As for the lifting…

You need to do enough volume without leading to overtraining:

I’d say go by a schedule similar to this:

Day 1
Back 10 sets
Day 2
Chest 10 sets
Day 3
Legs 10 sets
Day 4
Arms 10 sets

That’s it for the week, stick with the hardest exercises (squats, rows, chins, bench, standing barbell curls, dips, etc), and eat 5 meals a day as much as you can each meal of good food every day of the week. Train heavy with brief rest periods (sets of 6-10 reps), but don’t train to failure and forget about trying to set pr’s. Your goal is to add muscle, so if you can only do tiny bench weights for 8 reps oh well.

You grow when you are not lifting, fuck your abs right now, you need to put on some size worry about them later, same thing with cardio or anything else.

Go to bed early, get up early and start each day with a huge breakfast.

Most of CT and CW’s programs here are not for those who seek to become serious bodybuilders. By their own accounts they are for intermediate lifters who want results and a are willing to eat to support growth. I’m not gonna insult you like some. I’ll just say that you know in your heart that your approach has been half-assed and your looking to continue being half-assed.

[quote]bramstroker wrote:
[/quote]

Good post about food and compound excercises and such, but what’s the deal with 30 sets for upper body per week compared to 10 sets for the legs? Big Boy Basics would be a much better start, as was suggested earlier. I also agree that this seems like a joke.