T Nation

I'm SICK of Senate Grandstanding!

Am I the only one tired of all the hypocritical “Grandstanding” of Senators during these MLB “Steroid” hearings?

“We can’t trust you…”

“What message are you sending…”

“Me Selig…you have let us and the American Public Down…”

Then they get into all this “America, Baseball and Apple Pie” crap, and how steroids is destroying it…

Right…and Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and scores of others were much more “pure” when they were downing enough Scotch and Bourbon to kill an Army…or enough pain killers to put a Stadium full of people in a coma?

The hypocrisy of it all is driving me NUTS! The Senate needs to shut the hell up, and move on to more important things…

Thoughts?

Mufasa

I can’t watch it. I won’t watch it. The outright ignorance of our elected officials in this matter is sickening.

Is this what a witch hunt looks like?

Agreed.

Doesn’t matter if kid’s idols drink or smoke, as long as they don’t do steroids.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I can’t watch it. I won’t watch it. The outright ignorance of our elected officials in this matter is sickening.

Is this what a witch hunt looks like? [/quote]

“in this matter” ?

I am more concerned with whether the opinions that most of us have on this matter as far as how insane it is are felt throughout society. Are we the only ones who see this as a waste of money and time on a retarded issue? Is this sentiment reaching the soccer moms yet or does middle America actually believe that this type of questioning in CONGRESS is a good thing?

If only Sammy Sosas had said “Baseball been berry berry good to me,” it would have been worth having the hearings.

The best part of all this is that our [Americans’] taxes are paying for it.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

Is this what a witch hunt looks like? [/quote]

The trouble is, its not entirely ignorance. I am convinced that many surely must know what the truth is, at least to some extent. They are doing this as a political move.

In a recent poll on espn.com, 70% of responders said that steroid use by youths represents a health crisis. I’m assuming they meant youth in the US, because I’m sure the youth of many, many other countries would probably see starvation or disease as bigger crisis. I am tired of misinformation and sensationalized reports being done by the media, McGwire has been taking a beating by guys who probably spent the majority of their highschool careers hanging by their undies on the lockeroom door.

They speak of integrity of a game that included such luminaries as Ty Cobb, “Ten-Cent beer night,” owner Marge Schott who was suspended for a season because of her use of racial slurs, and George Steinbrenner who was convicted for illegal campaign contributions to Richard Nixon and prohibited from running the Yankees for his association with known gambler Howard Spike. These are just a couple examples of problems baseball has dealt with, and there are thousands of other examples, but the way the media has spun it, you’d think McGwire had shit in some kids cereal after kicking his dog.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I am more concerned with whether the opinions that most of us have on this matter as far as how insane it is are felt throughout society. Are we the only ones who see this as a waste of money and time on a retarded issue? Is this sentiment reaching the soccer moms yet or does middle America actually believe that this type of questioning in CONGRESS is a good thing?[/quote]

I’ve yet to talk to anyone that agrees with the hearings. Their reasons may differ from mine as to why they think the hearings are a bad thing, but no one thinks they represent anything other than face time.

I have met only two people that think steroids are hurting baseball. The rest are ambivelent at best.

They certainly are spending a lot of time and money concerning themselves with an industry that has fewer than 500 employees (players)…

Perhaps they should concern themselves with something else, like the budget.

I like how Bill Maher put it: What’s next, is Congress going to try and take weed out of rap.

I just hope today’s school schooting doesn’t distract congress from the important issues of whether Conseco stuck something in McGuire’s ass or the fate of that veggie down in Florida or whether gays get married or…

Hey, what if Terry Shiavo wakes up and wants medical marijuana?

Oh, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be irreverent. Afterall, says GWB, “This is a complex case with serious issues, but in extraordinary circumstances like this, it is wise to always err on the side of life.”

Unlike, say, Iraq.

I do think steroids are hurting baseball, but the hearings are idiotic and insulting to the American people. I voted for this president, and Republican congressmen, and I’d do it again in a heartbeat, but don’t we have more important things to worry about than steroids in baseball? We’re at war in a pair of countries (more, really), the trade deficit is enormous, Social Security is a mess, and Congress decides one of the issues that deserves its time is steroids in baseball?! Check out this March 18 interview with Congressman Chris Shays, he gets taken apart by Mike and the Mad Dog: http://wfan.com/chrismikeaudio/.

Good call on Sosa doogie.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I am more concerned with whether the opinions that most of us have on this matter as far as how insane it is are felt throughout society. Are we the only ones who see this as a waste of money and time on a retarded issue? Is this sentiment reaching the soccer moms yet or does middle America actually believe that this type of questioning in CONGRESS is a good thing?

I’ve yet to talk to anyone that agrees with the hearings. Their reasons may differ from mine as to why they think the hearings are a bad thing, but no one thinks they represent anything other than face time.

I have met only two people that think steroids are hurting baseball. The rest are ambivelent at best.

[/quote]

But your friends probably have a brain, Rainjack. If they are like us they view things with a critical eye. I think the Prof’s fears are partly justified. What do ‘the great unwashed’ really think?

[quote]futuredave wrote:
…Oh, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be irreverent. Afterall, says GWB, “This is a complex case with serious issues, but in extraordinary circumstances like this, it is wise to always err on the side of life.”

Unlike, say, Iraq.[/quote]

Touche.