T Nation

I'm Short & Scrawny, Want to Be a Tank

Yeah, so I am short and scrawny - I am 5’5, weigh 135 lbs and I need advice on where to start out in body building. I can do about 10 chin ups, 50 push ups, and about 25 crunches per set (I try to do about 3 sets a day).

What are some good exercises for a beginner, who does wish to become quite physicall built? I know that protein shakes are highly recommended on the menu.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum

The above linked site is a good place to search around and read.

[quote]scotia gopher wrote:
Yeah, so I am short and scrawny - I am 5’5, weigh 135 lbs[/quote]

Sorry to hear that dude lol. I’m 5’5", and was 132 at my lightest after stupidly thinking I needed to lose weight. I look back on pictures of myself them and find it pretty ridiculous that I was ever that skinny. It definitely didn’t suit me considering my shitty shoulder to hip ratio.

I’m 170 now, but I am carrying a tad more belly fat than I’d like. Fortunately, it’s not too much that I give a shit about it just yet.

There are so many beginner routines out there… a simple search will yield a ton of useful information. Protein powder is a handy supplement to have, but it’s just that: a supplement. You’ll want to make sure you eat like a motherfucker.

OP: Welcome to the Nation.

Click on the ‘Beginner’ banner at the top of the screen. It’ll take you to the beginner forum.

Click on any of the first four threads. One should be ‘Are you A Beginner II’ by Vroom, another should be stuff for newbies by TC, etc. Read them. Read the first few pages AT LEAST. These contain a bunch of information and links to articles you should read because they’ll answer most of your beginner questions.

ONCE YOU HAVE DONE THAT (and I really mean that, because, while there are many people who are more than willing to share their experience, strength and hope on these threads, these same people get incredibly irritated at fielding questions that could have been more simply answered by having the OP invest some energy and READ THE DAMN STICKIES first), come back here and post your questions, illuminated by what you’ve just read.

And to answer your question, Squats and Milk.

the realest advice i can give you is what worked for me. first of all squat. second lift heavy. third lift with fucking balls out intesity. rep schemes really arent going to mean much at your point in the game so long as you lift as intense as you can. finally since your a small guy i would definatley recommend starting an eating log. you dont have to do it perminantly but for a week or 2 at least just so you can be realistic with how much calories your really getting. if you at least have a realistic grasp on how much your eating you’ll be a step ahead of everyone else. good luck bro.

[quote]Otep wrote:

And to answer your question, Squats and Milk.[/quote]

x2
Eat a lot.
Definitely read this

Search the site there is plenty of useful information. Shakes are good, but eat plenty of quality food. Deorum’s advice is good. Train hard, train smart, eat plenty, get your rest and you will grow.

[quote]scotia gopher wrote:
Yeah, so I am short and scrawny - I am 5’5, weigh 135 lbs and I need advice on where to start out in body building. I can do about 10 chin ups, 50 push ups, and about 25 crunches per set (I try to do about 3 sets a day).

What are some good exercises for a beginner, who does wish to become quite physicall built? I know that protein shakes are highly recommended on the menu.[/quote]

squats (or deadlifts) + lots of food :slight_smile:

[quote]elnyka wrote:

military press, bench press, squats AND deadlifts + lots of food :)[/quote]

fixed that for you

[quote]Deorum wrote:
the realest advice i can give you is what worked for me. first of all squat. second lift heavy. third lift with fucking balls out intesity. [/quote]

Or the OP could do his heavy squats with balls and intensity.

Read the Newbie articles and listen to the advice handed out by Otep and others