T Nation

I'm Sad & So Is Popeye...Bad Spinach

I love spinach, but…
Looks like no more fresh bagged spinach for a little while…

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/14/tainted.spinach.ap/index.html

Bah, I am sad too now ;( (not only because I love popeye, but because I love spinach)

Wash it and cook it. Problem solved.

[quote]DNIC75 wrote:
I love spinach, but…
Looks like no more fresh bagged spinach for a little while…

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/09/14/tainted.spinach.ap/index.html

[/quote]

One dead.

Is that really going to stop you from eating spinach ?

Come on.

Yeah, I caught that on the news tonight…as much as spinach is a staple in my diet, I think I can stand to drop it for a little while. I’m not usually so cautious, but this seems serious.

I didn’t seet his thread, before I started the other one. OOPS.

–Tiribulus->

Doesn’t this only apply to pre-washed, pre-bagged spinach? Fresh is still good to go?

[quote]abcd1234 wrote:
Doesn’t this only apply to pre-washed, pre-bagged spinach? Fresh is still good to go? [/quote]

How does one pre-bag something?

[quote]vagrant wrote:
Wash it and cook it. Problem solved.[/quote]

Regarding the “wash it”. Add one tbspoon of clorox to 1lt. of water, and submerge the spinach for 15 minutes.

[quote]vagrant wrote:
Wash it and cook it. Problem solved.[/quote]

Not so sure I would follow that advice. Here’s another quote:

“If you have bagged spinach in the fridge, toss it. The Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers nationwide not to eat fresh bagged spinach, saying it may be the source of a multistate E. coli outbreak that has killed one person and made dozens sick. “We’re advising people not to eat it,” said Dr. David Acheson of the FDA.”

Would “washing and cooking it” truly solve the problem? Maybe, but I think I will go a few days without my spinach.

[quote]DNIC75 wrote:
vagrant wrote:
Wash it and cook it. Problem solved.

Not so sure I would follow that advice. Here’s another quote:

“If you have bagged spinach in the fridge, toss it. The Food and Drug Administration is warning consumers nationwide not to eat fresh bagged spinach, saying it may be the source of a multistate E. coli outbreak that has killed one person and made dozens sick. “We’re advising people not to eat it,” said Dr. David Acheson of the FDA.”

Would “washing and cooking it” truly solve the problem? Maybe, but I think I will go a few days without my spinach.[/quote]

Yeah. I tossed out my pre-bagged stuff. Now, I’ll just go to the store and buy the normal stuff. It is a little more work (washing, trimming, etc) but I think it is worth not getting sick.

This is a pretty sensationalist story if you ask me. You probably run a bigger risk of getting mad cow by eating beef than getting sick from eating spinach. Plus, remember that fresh spinach (of the non-bagged kind) should still be fine.

Oh, look, a terrorist!

How many people have died in traffic accidents in the same period of time as this spinach outbreak?

Eating spinach is still safer than riding in a car.

I’ve heard a lot of bad things about “pre-washed” raw veggies before, and it was almost always about E-Coli.

I was POed cause my lazy (for cooking) ass was thrilled to just eat out of the bag.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
abcd1234 wrote:
Doesn’t this only apply to pre-washed, pre-bagged spinach? Fresh is still good to go?

How does one pre-bag something?[/quote]

I like mine pre-eaten.

[quote]blooey wrote:
Oh, look, a terrorist![/quote]

Where?!?

Looks like we’re gonna have to start buying iceberg lettuce.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Looks like we’re gonna have to start buying iceberg lettuce.[/quote]

What if my taste has evolved to where I don’t like iceberg lettuce anymore?!?

omigod!!!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
PGA200X wrote:
abcd1234 wrote:

How does one pre-bag something?

I like mine pre-eaten.[/quote]

So that would be like cud?

[quote]blooey wrote:
This is a pretty sensationalist story if you ask me. You probably run a bigger risk of getting mad cow by eating beef than getting sick from eating spinach.[/quote]

I understand and slightly agree with your point. For the sake of being obnoxious, though, as far as I understand there have been no reported cases of “mad cow” meat being eaten by Americans, whereas this is a report of nearly a dozen Americans being infected by spinach in a week.

In other words, the chances are far, far greater of getting sick from eating spinach than getting mad cow.