I'm Overweight. How Do I Eat Correctly?

I’m 35, 173 cm and I weigh 85 kg of which most is fat.
I just started 5/3/1 BBB and I want to get the most out of it, but I can’t figure out how to best approach it food wise.
According to Jim’s post on BBB I can’t eat like a coked-out supermodel but should instead eat to get big. Getting big is exactly what my goal is, but since I am already “big” (fat) how do I do this best?
Do I eat the way Jim very strongly suggests one should on that program, and then at some point my body will have transformed itself. Or do I lose weight first and then start eating more?

I am not new to going to the gym, but I have never really looked into proper nutrition and so I am a bit confused on how to do this the best way.

I’d start with the TDEE Calculator and track your weight every morning right after you piss. Average that throughout the week - if you weight seems to be steady (more or less), consider this your maintenance calories.

IF you are trending up/down in weight, keep in mind that every pound of bodyweight you gain/lose equates to about 3500 calories. So if you gained 1lb from last week to this week, you are 3500cals/wk surplus (3500/7days = 500cals/day). Likewise, if you lost 0.5lb from last week to this week, you are about 250cals deficit daily.

My macro recommendations are:
Protein - 1g/lb bodyweight
Fats - 0.25g/lb bodyweight
Carbs - to fill the rest

EDIT:
You’re like the 4th or 5th person in a very short period to ask these questions, and this is my 4th or 5th post in the same timeframe. Not your fault. I have used this as an opportunity to create a TDEE Guide.
https://forums.t-nation.com/t/dialing-in-your-tdee-and-macro-suggestions/281831

2 Likes

If you are currently fat, overeating will result in getting fatter along with gaining more muscle. It will not cause a transformation.

If you wish to be less fat, a good approach would be to resolve that first and have a baseline to operate off of from there.

If you have 5/3/1 Forever, Jim has a program in there titled “Fat Loss and Prep”, which would be a solid choice while paired with the nutritional advice Jim offers in the book as well.

Otherwise, he has some advice here

6 Likes

Thank you for the links, I will look at them in more detail now.

Absolutely dude! And be sure to get “5/3/1 Forever”. One of the greatest books I own on training.

5 Likes