I'm Old, Not Obsolete

20161023 - Stuff

My oldest turned 27 years old today, half my age.

Happy birthday to the oldest!

1 Like

20161023 - Hockey

Scrimmage - 1 hour

Went to a different scrimmage, it ended up being pretty short handed, one space skater per bench.

Scored the first goal, did several good defensive plays against guys who play in the top level of my league.

It was like cardio but fun.

1 Like

20161025 - 531 C31W2 Press and Deads

Work thoroughly fucked up my lifting schedule AND seeing my kids.

Technically this workout started on the 25th but ended on the 26th, decided to jam in the minimal needed instead of waiting until Thursday.

Military Press

60 lbs x 5
75 lbs x 5 - Left shoulder hurt on every press
90 lbs x 3 - More left shoulder pain.
105 lbs x 3 - Used a wider grip, no pain but felt weird.
120 lbs x 3 - Narrowed the grip in, some discomfort but felt better on the press
130 lbs x 4 - Kept grip in same place as 120.

Supersetted with Dead Lifts

135 lbs x 5
165 lbs x 5
200 lbs x 3
230 lbs x 3
265 lbs x 3
300 lbs x 3 - Form sucked but ground them out.

Weighed in at 206 lbs.

2 Likes

20161026 - Hockey

Skating Lessons - 1 hour

Scrimmage - 1 hour

The scrimmage was a game against one of the teams from the league I play in.

I have a bit of venting related to my league and what level THEY think I should be playing at…

But that can wait.

2 Likes

Let it out Mr.!!! :grimacing:

Vent away/

I don’t like this new shoulder pain thing in this log. Ever feel like it’s just one thing after another after another…

At least we’re not reading about another stroke. This guy keeps on regardless.

1 Like

20161027 - Venting, and some hockey

So here’s my venting.

Back when I started play hockey, I sucked. And I knew it.

Couldn’t turn to the right. Literally.

And overweight and out of shape.

I started in the Metro Classic Hockey league here in town. They had a beginners program, which I wen through.

Basically, I played and sort of focused on getting better.

Once I got separated and was heading for a divorce, I started to focus on getting better at playing hockey.

Participated in the adult skills camps run by a former NHL player, took weekly skating lessons. For 5 years.

And I have gotten a lot better.

Unfortunately, the league leadership felt other wise.

I worked hard to move up from the Novice level to Intermediate. And then they split intermediate up to two different levels and stuck me in the lower one.

For the last couple of seasons, they refused to move me up. I played in the upper Intermediate level this summer and when I registered for the winter season, I signed up for that level.

They moved me down to the lower level, without even calling me to talk to me about it.

So I’m back with guys I can skate around, who don’t know where to go even in the most basic form of playing strategy. How am I supposed to become better if I play with who don’t want to be better?

And I’m not happy.

The game I had last night was against an upper Intermediate team. A few were from my team during the summer. I out skated them, I made better plays.

There’s another league in town, the Beer and Pretzel Hockey league. Regarded as the best league in town.

Most of the players are former college, college club, or former Junior players.

I played in one of their games tonight.

Made some good breakout passes. Screened the goalie for goal. And technically, I should of had an assist on the goal, Kept up with the game well.

The team I played for said they’d be happy for me to play the season with them. Even picked up a new hockey nickname.

Coach. Apparently because I’m 20 years older then anyone else on the team.

So I’m switching to this league.

Carpe Damn Diem.

2 Likes

@2busy That’s crazy!!! After all the hard work and time you did to become a better player and then it’s not recognized :angry: I would be so frustrated too! I think switching to the other league will make you a lot happier.

1 Like

Congrats on switching to a new league! Looking forward to reading about some goals. You can’t fly like an eagle, if you hang out with turkeys! :wink: Good job!

1 Like

You just made lemonade from lemons.

3 Likes

I don’t trust people. They may say one thing but really might mean another.

Out with the old in with the new. Besides my grandmother believed in always hanging out with people smarter and younger than herself.

2 Likes

20161028 - Hockey-sort of, and 531

Hockey was watching the UNO Mavericks beating UMass-Lowell Hockey team 5-1. Lowell is currently ranked 5th in the nation.

Then I went to the gym.

Bench Press

100 lbs x 5
120 lbs x 5
145 lbs x 3
175 lbs x 3
195 lbs x 3
215 lbs x 2 … just fizzled on the 3rd rep.

Squats

115 lbs x 5
145 lbs x 5
175 lbs x 3
200 lbs x 3
230 lbs x 3
260 lbs x 3

Felt tired. Probably didn’t help I had some hydration at the UNO game.

1 Like

Carpe damn diem indeed!

Hope the new league is a good fit for you!

Thanks Snap!

I think it will be.

20161030 - Hockey

Refereeing - 2 hours
Scrimmage - 1 hour

Refereed USA hockey games at the squirt level.

Played in a team scrimmage for the top level of the league I’m leaving. One of my friends is captain and they needed a player.

2 assists. Lots of good passes. A couple of good shots on net. I had a lot of fun.

Had a guy I don’t know on the team tell me I played really well and should be playing at their level.

20161031 - Hockey

League game - 1 hour

Lost 5-10. The White team is really fast. I made a couple of good plays on both ends of the game.

One of the younger guys said " You forecheck AND backcheck! That’s awesome!"

So, was this with the Beer and Pretzel league?

Yes CL. It was with the new league. Their games are during the week.

1 Like