I'm Not Losing Fat, Please Help

Its better to lose around 2 pounds a week because your skin can’t keep up with a five pound weight loss every week especially if you’ve been that way for a long time and you’d end up having alot of extra skin that you might have to have a costly procedure remove if possible to remove it.

[quote]HardWorkin wrote:
Its better to lose around 2 pounds a week because your skin can’t keep up with a five pound weight loss every week especially if you’ve been that way for a long time and you’d end up having alot of extra skin that you might have to have a costly procedure remove if possible to remove it.[/quote]

Somewhat over-simplified. This is probably true for only about 5% of people. Most overweight people (under 40) should be able to lose much more than 2lbs per week (up to 5lbs even) and not worry about the loose skin issue.

On the flip side- if you have enough body fat, i.e. truely obese, chances are it won’t matter how slow or fast you lose the weight you’ll still end up with loose skin.

Like I said- you over-simplified it. The OP doesn’t have nearly enough BF to worry about loose skin at all.

[quote]HardWorkin wrote:
Its better to lose around 2 pounds a week because your skin can’t keep up with a five pound weight loss every week especially if you’ve been that way for a long time and you’d end up having alot of extra skin that you might have to have a costly procedure remove if possible to remove it.[/quote]

I posted my picture at the top, how fat do you think I am? I won’t have any problems with loose skin. I just finshed my third week and have gone down 3.5 more pounds.
My clothes are loose and I feel great.

OK I will echo what everyone else said GREAT job and dont aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week thats the smart way you will likely save as much LBM as possible and in your case even gain some.

One other thing that seems has been over looked. You started creatine as well. That alone from the extra hydration to the muscle tissue could add up to 5 lbs so it is very likely you lost even more. Might even want to watch that over the next few weeks dont shed it to fast.

Keep on truckin,
Phill

Hang in there bro! The key at this point is to not give up, even when it seems that nothing is happening. Because you know things are happening, your clothes are feeling better, the numbers are telling you things are better such as bf% and lbm. The person in the mirror will take a little longer to show it but it will start to show. I started doing full body workouts about 7 weeks ago from an article from Alwyn in Mens Health, and I am in week 2 of Waterbury’s TBT and I started out almost exactly the same numbers as you. I was about 207 with 26% now I am at 204 and 19%. Looking at the scale I don’t see much but bf%, and now the man in the mirror tell a much better story. Keep going!

[quote]Eon wrote:
An advise from an a friend thru e-mail,
“… Remmember that
if youre doing intense activity the metabolic pathway used by the body for
fuel is glycogen or stored carbohydrates in the muscles, but if its a light
activity such as brisk walking, the body is using fat for fuel, so, if you
wanna loose fat, do light exercises but for loooong period at a time, thats
the key. That should also explain why spot training doesnt work, only
newbies in the gym do this, then a month later you dont see them anymore
because they get frustrated for not seeing results.”

Well add to that - I usually loss dramatic weight when I don’t gorge any form of carbo after 6 and sometimes I work out on an empty stomach (not hungry stomach) on doing high reps sets.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

I have read this as well. However, i thought shorter bouts of high intensity cardio were preferred because while glycogen is the main energy source during the excercise, afterwards it switches over to burning fat, plus this cranks up the metabolism for the rest of the day.

I guess ideally perhaps its good to mix up both, depending on the individual. I find with beginners its good to get some kind of decent aerobic base before moving into hardcore anerobic circuit of burpees, etc.

Great progress by the way!! i am always interested in other people’s methods for fat loss.

anton

[quote]Phill wrote:
OK I will echo what everyone else said GREAT job and dont aim to lose more than 2 lbs a week thats the smart way you will likely save as much LBM as possible and in your case even gain some.

One other thing that seems has been over looked. You started creatine as well. That alone from the extra hydration to the muscle tissue could add up to 5 lbs so it is very likely you lost even more. Might even want to watch that over the next few weeks dont shed it to fast.

Keep on truckin,
Phill[/quote]

Your the first person to point that out thanks I totally forgot that creatine adds weight. Now I feel kinda foolish for posting my concerns my weight loss seems to be above the norm.

And to anyone trying to lose weight I have found that watching the scale can make you crazy looking in the mirror or using a tape measure can really show your progress much better.

You’re seeing good results I’d say.

If fat burning is all you’re interested in, then you can go on a ketosis inducing diet, and walk/jog a few kilometers every day, although I wouldn’t reccommend it.

What you’re doing now is an excellent way of building a better physique, and feeling better all around.

In a year or so I’d guess you’ll not only be rid of most of the fat that’s annoying you, but you’ll also be stronger and healthier in almost every possible way – not just skinnier.

On the cardio issue, I’d reccommend not changing your routine at the moment, (like many here have pointed out) as it seems to be working very well, however I wouldn’t mind hearing what people here think about cardio in general, because I like to do cardio after lifting, and sometimes even some before.

I try to run about 5km 4-5 times per week, as well as do some high rep lifts, as I’m currently cutting myself in order to compete in some marathon events this summer.

Once the summer is over I’ve planned to reduce cardio and trying to start gaining more LBM, however I think I’ll keep doing cardio, as I feel it keeps my circulatory systems running well, and oxygen uptake good, etc. I don’t want to give advice based on my limited knowledge, so I ask what the others here think of this? Am I experiencing some placebo effect perhaps?

But congrats on your progress man, keep us posted :slight_smile: