T Nation

I'm New to Body Building, Please Read

Hello, iam 5feet 10 inches and 300lbs i go to the gym and lift weights three times a week i just joined two weeks ago.I need a diet to lose alot of fat keto,Atkins or what ever is out there im missing, i wouuld like to lose 3 or 4 pounds a week can someone help me with a eating plan to achieve this. breakfast, lunch, supper etc.I need to build muscle while losing fat. Thank You

I’d be glad to help but you have to do some research on your own first. If you do the research and set up a legible diet not only will you learn from it and more than likely stay on your diet/training course but you will give others the opportunity to help you as well.

There is a search button on the top right corner of the site. Type in diet and I’m sure you will find bazillions! lol

Most people won’t just straight up do all of your homework for you. You have to do some first. :wink:

Gerdy

agreed… Studying and learning new stuff everyday really helped with my motivation. and this site is GREAT for that information

First, for your general information and so you know what you’re doing, read the stickies at the top of the beginner’s forum. Click on ‘beginner’ at the top of this page, and then read the first four threads of the beginner’s forum.

Second, for an actual diet to follow, do this:

It’s called the ‘t-dawg diet’. It’s an intelligent, easy to follow, diet that combines the best aspects of various low-carb diets and has helped a number of people achieve their physique goals.

I advise also posting the diet you plan to follow, and your training regimine, in this thread, just so others can check your work and tweak both to make it better.

Welcome to the Nation, and good luck.

Thanks guys,I think i might try the Don Lemmon diet and workout i have his books and have read them and he does suggest a carb meal after a workout.Right now i do a full body workout, i hit four or five muscles for two or three sets last set to failure Three times a week at the gym, and a little cardio after.I guess eating one carb meal a day wont effect my fat lose the other meals will be meat,fish,eggs,cheese and green veggies.Does 2000 calories sound ok to start since i have alot of fat to lose.And it says to keep the carb meal away from the meat and fat meal for 2 or 3 hours.Think this will work?

Welcome to the nation!

These guys on here will really help you out, if you show the proper motivation. Pick a diet, pick a routine, and then post consistent logs about both. It’ll show you care about learning about all this stuff for your own benefit, and then you’ll get a lot more people willing to help you tweak.

Personally, I am doing the Anabolic Diet, and using a slightly modified Rippetoe’s Starting Strength Program. I highly recommend Starting Strength if you haven’t really lifted before. It’s a great beginner’s program, with a proven track record.

Good luck on your transformation!!

The reason for the carb meal is to help drive protein into your muscles at a time when your body will use the nutrients most effectively. It does this by causing an insulin spike, which increases the storage of fat and protein, which is why you don’t want to have a fat meal right afterwards.

Also, the closer to your workout you can get the carb meal, the better. On my fat lose plans, I normally use Surge during and after my workout as my carb meal. As far as total intake, 2000 sounds like an ok starting point, but you won’t have much room to drop your consumption if your fat loss starts to slow down. I would start a little higher, say around 2400, then drop your calories if your fat loss slows down. At 300 lbs, if you eat a clean 2400 and increase your daily activity level, you should lose weight at a pretty good pace without having to worry about any kind of metabolic shutdown. Check out this thread for some inspiration http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2116249

Might want to check out precision nutrition by JB to help you start develop proper eating habits.

I second what ninjaboy said.

Surge is a post workout drink sold by Biotest, the company that runs Testosterone Nation.

I have no idea what the Don Lemmon diet is, but it sounds okay.

What are you doing as far as training is concerned?

I do a full body workout 3 days a week two to three sets to failure then a little cardio after.

[quote]lowcarber wrote:
I do a full body workout 3 days a week two to three sets to failure then a little cardio after.[/quote]

Before the others yell at ya, you might want to give a specific breakdown. :slight_smile:

I do tri push downs 3 sets last one to failure.Preacher curls same,benchpress same,leg press same 3 sets last set to failure then 10 min cardio on the bike.

If you want to build muscle, you need to change up your workout to focus on squats, deadlifts, and benchpresses. Squats and deads especially require a lot of different muscles to get involved, which is really what you want out of a workout. Rippetoe’s Starting Strength is a good routine, although you could also use Waterbury’s 10x3 workout for fat loss.

No offense but I wouldn’t consider your workout full body. BP is fine. Leg press isn’t ideal, but at least your training them. Curls and pushdowns are considered isolation exercises. Chin-ups and dips would be preferable. At 300 lbs, I’ll assume that any body weight exercise is near impossible. Does your gym have an assisted pull-up/chin/dip machine? You could also benefit from working your back. Nothing for shoulders?

You should really try one of the well-established beginners routings, like Starting Strength, Stronglift 5x5. A program like that will help you build up the core, and get used to lifting. Plus, the compound lifting will give you a nice full body workout for sure, and the accessory work (after a couple weeks) is a nice touch.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
If you want to build muscle, you need to change up your workout to focus on squats, deadlifts, and benchpresses. Squats and deads especially require a lot of different muscles to get involved, which is really what you want out of a workout. Rippetoe’s Starting Strength is a good routine, although you could also use Waterbury’s 10x3 workout for fat loss. [/quote]

Completely agree. I try not to suggest Rippetoe to every beginner that comes on this site, but it is ideal. 10x3 FFL is equally as effective, maybe more so with the required rest times between sets. It will kick your butt.

It’s hard not too, there aren’t many programs that make a better starting point for 90% of the beginners who post on here.

Lots of good info. From a dude weighed 300 lbs not too long ago, those squats are probably gonna suck. Whenever I had just a few moments of spare time I would do bodyweight squats concentrating on increasing my range of motion.

But whatever you do… dont skip those big heavy compounds. It really does help keep your muscle.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:

It’s hard not too, there aren’t many programs that make a better starting point for 90% of the beginners who post on here.

[/quote]

yup

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
TheDudeAbides wrote:I try not to suggest Rippetoe to every beginner that comes on this site, but it is ideal.

[/quote]

I can’t hold myself back haha. I’ve post it in nearly every thread on this forum.