I'm Nervous (Meeting GF's Family)

I have to go to a Greek barbeque today and meet some 40+ members of my girlfriend’s family. They all came back from a baptism and the only person I’ve ever met is her Dad. I’m clumsy too, I don’t wanna make an ass out of myself.

How do you keep yourself calm?
Shiiiet

Mmmmmm Greek food.

Oh, you could try drinking some alcohol before hand. Chill out, why get nervous about it?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Mmmmmm Greek food.

Oh, you could try drinking some alcohol before hand. Chill out, why get nervous about it?[/quote]

Meeting people isn’t a bad thing, I’m usually cool with it. It’s just basicly since it’s SO many people all at once really. Grandparents, aunts, stepmoms, uncles, nephews, nieces.
Blah

Damn euro families, I got like 10 people tops in mine. So much simpler.

take a couple Z-12’s to calm u down :stuck_out_tongue:

get drunk!

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
get drunk![/quote]

And then tell jokes and laugh loudly!

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
get drunk![/quote]

I’m cutting :frowning:

I promised myself, no drinking untill labour day weekend when I’m goin camping!

I get nervous and awkward in situations like that too, and it’s always unjustified. Just be naturally polite and forget about worrying how you come across. If you’re good with kids spend time talking with/playing with the younger family members too, this is always enjoyable (unless they’re brats), and the parents will love you. You don’t have to socialize with everyone, if you click with one or two people, spend your time talking with them.

That’s how I approach my own social anxiety… also learning that it’s OK not to be socializing 100% of the time helps. Honestly I prefer large gatherings because you can get lost in the crowd if you want. :slight_smile: But really, don’t worry so much. Enjoy the Greek food, I’m quite jealous.

If you get drunk → i hope you’re into Greko-Roman wrestling and manlove

but ja good approach sluicy

Break some plates?

Does it really matter what these people think of you? I’m sure your girl likes you, that’s enough. The rest don’t matter. Nothing to worry about.

[quote]Erasmus wrote:
If you get drunk → i hope you’re into Greko-Roman wrestling and manlove[/quote]

Ahahah!

Her uncle is an ex competative bodybuilder, I’m looking forward to meeting him.

Maybe we’ll have a topless pose off in the middle of the backyard!

[quote]Rattler wrote:
rondastarr wrote:
get drunk!

I promised myself, no drinking untill labour day weekend when I’m goin camping![/quote]

Your going to visit with a Greek family and your cutting?!?!?!

Ok, my closest experience to this is seeing “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”, but oh no!

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
Rattler wrote:
rondastarr wrote:
get drunk!

I promised myself, no drinking untill labour day weekend when I’m goin camping!

Your going to visit with a Greek family and your cutting?!?!?!

Ok, my closest experience to this is seeing “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”, but oh no![/quote]

Well, I’m not super super super strict on my cutting. On events like this, I’ll cheat a bit and not worry aobut it. I’m just gonna stay away from the carbs and go for the meats. Might go for some of her aunt’s famous potato salad though :smiley:

I thought of this immediately.

Read up on Greek History and then make sure to creatively address where they are from, how awesome the Hellenistic Age was, how the world changed with Alexander’s conquest of Persia, etc. That’ll impress them enough and show them that you genuinely care for their lineage.

PS: What part of Greece are they from? Athenians? Lacedaemonians? Artemesians?

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
rondastarr wrote:
get drunk!

And then tell jokes and laugh loudly!

[/quote]

and then pee in the closet,( yes it happens)

just be yourself,yes you will be nervous but she likes you for who you are and so will they.

just calm down and dont worry about making an ass out of yourself
the more you worry the more it happens

My last GF I was dating for 2-3 weeks and went to her cousin’s communion. She’s Italian so huge family.

it’s nearing the end and there is a bunch of us at the dinner table.
Her Mom is drinking white wine and I like to gesture with my hands when talking. Well, I had been drinking a little too.
I hit her glass and spilled the wine all over her Mom.

I was embarrassed. Don’t let that happen. LOL

Keep harping on the fact that if you were Greek, you’d want to be Spartan, because all other Greeks are boy-loving philosophers.

Randomly yell “THIS… IS… SPARTA!!!” and poke someone with a salad fork.

Yell across the dinner table to your girlfriend “TONIGHT WE CONCEIVE A CHILD, FOR TOMORROW I AM OFF TO WAR!”.

Make sure you comment to her brother or cousin that they have defective physiques, stregth, and fighting constitution and would have been tossed off of a cliff at birth.