T Nation

I'm Looking for a Job... Tips?

I just came back from overseas and I made the mistake of not lining up a job in the States before I left. Trouble is, I’ve always hated getting a job. For me, getting a job is a lot like dating. You go out there and expose yourself to be judged, you get ignored a few times, and then you end up getting a job but regardless of what you get you feel like you’re settling for something that is not up to your full potential. I have a college degree, and all, but nothing that makes me feel like I really stand out.

So, do people have any tips about getting a job? Every job that I’ve gotten has pretty much fallen into my lap or been tossed my way by a friend.

P.S. If you live in the Omaha area, and you have a good paying job that you’re looking to have filled by a driven young man who is smarter and more well rounded than his Bachelor’s in Psychology suggests, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to take it.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
I just came back from overseas and I made the mistake of not lining up a job in the States before I left. Trouble is, I’ve always hated getting a job. For me, getting a job is a lot like dating. You go out there and expose yourself to be judged, you get ignored a few times, and then you end up getting a job but regardless of what you get you feel like you’re settling for something that is not up to your full potential. I have a college degree, and all, but nothing that makes me feel like I really stand out.

So, do people have any tips about getting a job? Every job that I’ve gotten has pretty much fallen into my lap or been tossed my way by a friend.

P.S. If you live in the Omaha area, and you have a good paying job that you’re looking to have filled by a driven young man who is smarter and more well rounded than his Bachelor’s in Psychology suggests, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to take it.[/quote]

your problem is you have a psych degree :slight_smile:

consider teaching HS psych?

www.indeed.com

Your state should have a WorkSource office. Has a veterans unit, if you’re a military veteran. Might have a different name than “worksource,” could be run by the dept of labor.

fed jobs… www.usajobs.com

What are you interested in?? Interesting that you never said what you want to do.

Renee

Get your resume together and post in on sites like monster, etc. Headhunters are constantly searching these sites for talent.

[quote]Geminspector wrote:
Headhunters are constantly searching these sites for talent.[/quote]

When they aren’t posting trollish threads about Phelps’ looks or quoting Rand, that is.

Op, get any job and go from there.

Pick a field and tell us why you want to work in it.

Space Cowboy.

Do that, I hear it’s a sweet gig.

Or…spend $600 and get your CPT and work at a few gyms; that would be a sweet gig.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Space Cowboy.

Do that, I hear it’s a sweet gig.

Or…spend $600 and get your CPT and work at a few gyms; that would be a sweet gig.[/quote]

To which “space cowboy” do you refer?

I was hoping astronaut was one of the choices (now that’s a sweet gig), but alas, Wikipedia says no.

I’ve tried Monster and linkedin and haven’t had much luck on there. I just graduated college and am in the job hunt too as well to no avail. I’m coaching middle school rowing just to keep some money comin in but living with the parents is getting old and I’d really like gettin a job. Anyone have any tips in regards to finding a job in the finance sector?

Fuck the job. Tomorrow is my last day of work and then I’ll be retired @ 23. Plently of other more effective ways to make cash.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
Fuck the job. Tomorrow is my last day of work and then I’ll be retired @ 23. Plently of other more effective ways to make cash.[/quote]

Do tell.

[quote]Fiction wrote:
I just came back from overseas . . .

If you live in the Omaha area. . . [/quote]

What were you doing overseas? An employer will want to know what you’ve been doing recently, and being overseas for something like military service or education looks better than bouncing between Amsterdam and Berlin hitting every hostel or hash bar you can find.

In Omaha, we have a 3.8 percent unemployment rate. You have a college degree.

-First Data Resources (processes credit card transactions for all of North America)
-Mutual of Omaha (huge insurance company that just got into banking)
-ConArga Foods (one of the largest food producers in the world)
-Union Pacific Railroad (duh)
-Werner Enterprises (international trucking company)
-Kiewit Construction (international construction company)

All huge employers with good salaries and great benefits HQ’ed right here in Omaha. Look on their websites and CALL THEIR HR OFFICES to discuss job openings.

Revise your cover letter three times. The first draft is shit. Always.

If this doesn’t work, go back to school, take another 30 hours to get a companion degree in something like finance or management. Not philosophy. Creighton University is the best school in the midwest. Also in Omaha.

[quote]Fiction wrote:

P.S. If you live in the Omaha area, and you have a good paying job that you’re looking to have filled by a driven young man who is smarter and more well rounded than his Bachelor’s in Psychology suggests, feel free to PM me and I would be happy to take it.[/quote]

Squats and milk.
Try hitting her.
Teh ghey.
Michael Phelps.
Affliction T-shirt.

For the most part employers don’t give a shit about your education. If a college or certain degree is required that just means your application isn’t instantly tossed. PLAY UP YOUR FUCKING LIFE AND PAST WORK EXPERIENCES!!!

Unless you went Ivy League or to a Military Academy all you get is a check mark for education.

Send follow up hand written letters to each person that interviewed you within a week of the interview…the sooner the better. Hopefully you know how to look professional, sit in a chair properly, and smile for interviews.

Network mutha fuckas.