T Nation

I'm Going to Europe, Advice?

Venice is unlike any other city, although it’s packed with tourists.
Disregard almost all behavioral tips as they vary from nation to nation.

And if you make even the slightest comment about the continent of Europe being/seeming like one country then prepare to get lynched.

Good, without the FDA to screw things up you’ll actually get to eat some real food.

Eat lots of real cheese. Cheese in the US has to be made from pasteurized milk so it looses a lot of it’s flavor. The natural cultures in real milk add to the flavors of good cheese.

you’ll probably learn about stavia if you haven’t already. Stavia is widely used as a no calorie sweatener in Europe but in the US the FDA will not give it the go ahaid to be put in foods for manufacturing.

Drink some good wine.

Drink some real ale (Cask conditioned).

If you can, eat a real Cantelope. The mellons we call cantelope are actualy musk mellons. Real cantelope is only availabel in France, atleast that’s what Alton Brown from food network says.

The thing I miss most about Europe is the real food. It’s widely available, fresh, delicious, and for the most part healthy. Without the FDA to screw things up for them they are able to gain access to fresh, healthy, food.

Fuck yeah dude that sounds like an awesome trip.

Everyone has mentioned eating local and I completely agree. Thing that sucks is when you get back stateside and start craving that food again. Take along a dose or two of cipro though, in case your belly turns inside out for some reason.

The cheeses, the meats, the beer, the wine… I’m jealous.

Tapas in Spain, let them make you whatever, because whatever it is it’ll be different and awesome.

AlisaV is right about taking it easy in the afternoon, the Spanish siesta is legit. Those folks don’t have dinner till 9 or 10 and they don’t start seriously partying till after midnight.

When I was there I got a local prepaid/pay as you go cellphone, it helped a lot when staying in touch with people I met as well as giving chicks the number.

I’m not saying throw the itenerary out the window, but definitely stay flexible. One thing I’d recommend is to at least have lodging locked on in the different locations. You have a limited time to do all that traveling and hustling around looking for a place to stay takes away from seeing the cool shit.

Have a blast dude, and take tons of pictures!

Hey dude,

Have a good time! I spent a couple weeks in Europe and you really have to watch out for pick pockets. This is no joke. The first night, one tried to reach into my friends pocket to get his wallet but he caught him. It was just some old man doing it too.

Try to go to as many local places as possible. In Rome, they have “tourist prices” and the regular prices in certain places. We found this little festival on the out skirts of Rome where nobody spoke English, but it was the most fun we had on the whole trip. Everyone was dancing and eating, just having a good time. Wish there were more places like that in the states.

BTW - The ladies were absolutely stunning.

Alright with all this talk about pick pockets I just have to ask

Whats the deal with throwing one of them a beating? I never ever get into fights at home and have never started one in my life. I know it is a terrible idea to have a run in with the law in a foreign country though. Is that reason enough to not break one of their fingers if I catch one trying to rob me? I cant imagine what my reaction would be if I catch someone trying to reach into my pocket. I would hope he/she would just run away because that would make it simple to just go about my day, but if I grab someones wrist while their hand in my pocket instincts tend to take over. How common is it that petty thieves carry weapons? That’s something I would not be interested in getting involved with lol.

[quote]joeymac wrote:
if your going to greece for a while island hopping is prob the best way top get in as much as possible…plus you will get to crete which is an incredible party island. for getting around cheap defo fly with ryanair.as said a eurorail ticket would also be a great idea…i just bought a month pass that gets me on any train in europe for â?¬310.in spain barcelone is an absolute must.beautiful city with a great nightlife.u cud also hit benicasime festival if you will be in spain around the 13th-19th of july.

watch out for pickpockets and dont try to plan it to the last detail…let loose and enjoy![/quote]

Crete? Come on, cheap ass clubs and pubs. There are a few exceptions tho. Malia and Chersonissos are the worst.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Alright with all this talk about pick pockets I just have to ask

Whats the deal with throwing one of them a beating? I never ever get into fights at home and have never started one in my life. I know it is a terrible idea to have a run in with the law in a foreign country though. Is that reason enough to not break one of their fingers if I catch one trying to rob me? I cant imagine what my reaction would be if I catch someone trying to reach into my pocket. I would hope he/she would just run away because that would make it simple to just go about my day, but if I grab someones wrist while their hand in my pocket instincts tend to take over. How common is it that petty thieves carry weapons? That’s something I would not be interested in getting involved with lol. [/quote]

Well a beating is probably too much but I doubt that anyone would have a problem if you bitch slapped him a little bit.

[quote]orion wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Alright with all this talk about pick pockets I just have to ask

Whats the deal with throwing one of them a beating? I never ever get into fights at home and have never started one in my life. I know it is a terrible idea to have a run in with the law in a foreign country though. Is that reason enough to not break one of their fingers if I catch one trying to rob me? I cant imagine what my reaction would be if I catch someone trying to reach into my pocket. I would hope he/she would just run away because that would make it simple to just go about my day, but if I grab someones wrist while their hand in my pocket instincts tend to take over. How common is it that petty thieves carry weapons? That’s something I would not be interested in getting involved with lol.

Well a beating is probably too much but I doubt that anyone would have a problem if you bitch slapped him a little bit.
[/quote]

Right

I was talking about a quick punch, nothing to grab any attention. Beating was the wrong word.

Lol dude. Not for nothing, but you’re not gonna catch them.

That being said, enjoy real food and wine. Oh and soda w/o HFCS.
I would be really jealous of your trip, but I’m going again also in August.

Here’s an universal tool for getting people to like you (and not have you for just another american): ask them questions. About them, about their country, about their customs, about the good old times.
You won’t regret it. Especially if you talk to older Italians

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
orion wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Alright with all this talk about pick pockets I just have to ask

Whats the deal with throwing one of them a beating? I never ever get into fights at home and have never started one in my life. I know it is a terrible idea to have a run in with the law in a foreign country though. Is that reason enough to not break one of their fingers if I catch one trying to rob me? I cant imagine what my reaction would be if I catch someone trying to reach into my pocket. I would hope he/she would just run away because that would make it simple to just go about my day, but if I grab someones wrist while their hand in my pocket instincts tend to take over. How common is it that petty thieves carry weapons? That’s something I would not be interested in getting involved with lol.

Well a beating is probably too much but I doubt that anyone would have a problem if you bitch slapped him a little bit.

Right

I was talking about a quick punch, nothing to grab any attention. Beating was the wrong word.[/quote]

Should be fine, though I personally believe that bigger guys will probably not be their primary targets. Maybe I’m being naive.

I would recommend keeping your wallet in your front pocket, that way it is nearly impossible to get picked and you can watch it all the time.

Also think about a money belt or something to keep your passport/essential documents on your person under your shirt.

x2 on Florence. A beautiful city and make sure to have some gelato (ice cream).

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

My advice:

The pickpockets are talked up. A lot. Been to Europe several times, for months at a time, and have never had an issue. Just be smart.

Barcelona. Spend much time there.

Santorini is beautiful. Take advantage of the seafood in Greece.

At least once, buy a kebob from a street vendor.

Venice is filthy, overpriced, and thankfully, sinking.

Edit: Just looked over your first post again. You might want to consider skipping Mykonos. It’s, quite frankly, not worth the price. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t have gone. Just my .02

i’ve flown all over the place and i always bring my protein powders and such.
just put them in ziplock bags and take a sharpie and write on them.

Don’t get lured to a Slovackian Hostel that promises loads of hot horny eastern european women. Grounds for a horror movie, that is…

I think you are seeing too many cities for the amount of time you are going on vacation. Some cities require more time than others. Spending 2 days in Rome is worthless, you could be spend a few weeks there to discover all it’s beauty. But since you are making your own schedule, make sure to get a map and “map out” your routes of all the attractions you want to see. Also make sure to check the times of any museums or exhibits, I went to Paris and the day I planned to see the Louvre it was closed. So do some homework on your part, and if you can, do your best to get a hotel near the center of everything. You will minimize walking and maximize your time.

Most of all

ENJOY YOURSELF. Have fun. Eat some foods you won’t find here. Get out of the tourist districts and go to where the locals hang out. Take pics, and have the time of your life.

I used to live in Spain. I’m assuming you’re hitting Madrid, if you do, go to the plaza mayor and go in a little bar that is on the side opposite the statue (you will know what I’m talking about). There are hundreds of pictures of all of the matadors who have been fucked up by bulls in fights, which is kinda creepy, but the gazpacho and drinks are awesome. Be sure to eat chuletas (lamb chops), tortilla espanola, chorizo, paella. Be sure to drink some Carlos Primero too.

In Italy go to Florence. If you have the time/money, I would try to get to Ravello. It is in the mountains above Amalfi and it is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been.

‘Siesta’s’ are the greatest thing ever invented…i loved my 1-3pm sleep when i was in portugal! :slight_smile:

lol also you wont notice a pickpocket, its almost guranteed. And if you were to hurt them, im pretty sure all the other operaters in that area would swarm in, one big family.

If you’re more than marginally interested in Classical ruins, the ones in Turkey are in better shape generally than the ones in Greece.