I'm Going Bald!

[quote]Burger King wrote:
nephorm: Why Proscar, instead of propecia? As far as Rogaine being OTC, I’ll have to look into that. I think that it may be different in Canada.
[/quote]

Propecia and proscar are the same stuff (finasteride). Proscar is sold as a prostate medication, at a higher dosage (5mg), but at a cheaper price per milligram. You can save hundreds of dollars per year by cutting up proscar instead of buying the propecia (which is priced like a cosmetic drug) directly.

The caveat is that if you have women in your house at all, you must thoroughly clean the surface on which you cut up the proscar pills. The residue can be absorbed through the skin, and women who are or might become pregnant should not have finasteride in their systems. Finasteride blocks DHT, which is bad for the hair and prostates of adults, but is absolutely necessary for proper fetal development.

Embrace it!

Its what you’ve earned by sucessfully navigating life this long. Cut it shorter or shave it.

DO NOT FEAR THE REAPER!!!

[quote]Backlash79 wrote:
I’m 27 and I noticed I was thinning around 22. I tried the Rogaine thing and that didn’t seem to do much for it and I looked into the various medications but I pretty much decided I don’t care enough to pay that much money for the next couple of decades to keep some hair on my head. I would much rather spend that on pretty much anything else such as supplements, training stuff, video games…etc.

I’ve pretty much been shaving my head the last year and my wife convinced me to let it grow out a little to see how it looks. I usually don’t even pay attention to it anymore. It was kind of rough when I first noticed it and I was stressing about it but now I have a beautiful wife that doesn’t care less and at least I save money on shampoo and gel now! heh

I love using the mach3 to shave but I’ve heard good reviews about the Headblade. [/quote]

Agreed! I started losing my hard around the same age. Instead of fighting it I just started shaving it. And actually, chicks freakin’ dig it. I don’t shave it to the skin, just to the lowest point with a shaver. Chicks are always feeling my stubble. Seriously, who cares, it’s just hair. I guarantee that you care more than anyone else does. If you handle yourself with confidence it’s not a big deal.

Plus it’s great having no hair in the winter. I can put on a skullcap and never have hat head!

Here try this it was on a TV report (er, maybe it was an infomercial).

www.millefolium.com/

At 32 there is alot more to life to worry about than looking like a 19 year old rock star…

BK, you know when I was eighteen, I had hair down to the middle of my back. I was into the whole Slayer, Metallica, metal scene. So, on a certain level I can relate even though that was years ago.

Like Go-Rilla said if I had hair like that today, what with my receding hairline, I would look like a total idiot. Hell, I am thirty six years old and even though I still occasionally throw the Slayer in the CD player to get amped up gone are the days of trying to look the part.

Here is a line from Desiderata:

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Laters,

D

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
Here try this it was on a TV report (er, maybe it was an infomercial).

www.millefolium.com/

At 32 there is alot more to life to worry about than looking like a 19 year old rock star…[/quote]

Right like applying for social security and your senior citizen discount card! I keed, I keed, I joke, I joke. 30 is right around the corner for me!

RoadWarrior: I agree, there are more important things in life at 32 than having a full set of hair or wanting to be muscular. That doesnt stop virtually everyone on this site from wanting to be more muscular. Taking care of yourself and your appearance should be of concern to everyone, as thats how we’re initially judged by most people.

The key is NOT being obsessed (which I’m not). This thread is no different than a noob wanting advice on which program to follow. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dedicated: Just incase there was any misunderstanding, I have NO desire to look like a rockstar again or even have long hair. Those days are long gone. The reason I brought it up to begin with was just to indicate that I had sweet hair in the past. (ha ha) In recent years I’ve had the standard businessman haircut (JFK Jr) and wanted to keep it like that. Hardly a mid-life crisis if you ask me.

[quote]Burger King wrote:
RoadWarrior: I agree, there are more important things in life at 32 than having a full set of hair or wanting to be muscular. That doesnt stop virtually everyone on this site from wanting to be more muscular. Taking care of yourself and your appearance should be of concern to everyone, as thats how we’re initially judged by most people.

The key is NOT being obsessed (which I’m not). This thread is no different than a noob wanting advice on which program to follow. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dedicated: Just incase there was any misunderstanding, I have NO desire to look like a rockstar again or even have long hair. Those days are long gone. The reason I brought it up to begin with was just to indicate that I had sweet hair in the past. (ha ha) In recent years I’ve had the standard businessman haircut (JFK Jr) and wanted to keep it like that. Hardly a mid-life crisis if you ask me.[/quote]

I hear you bro. I am no where near bald, but recently I was looking at the back of my head, actually the top of my head, holding a mirror up to the the bathroom mirror. I was shocked to notice that I could actually see the hair on the top of my head had thinned and was noticeable at that angle. Freaked me out man, but you really can’t tell unless you had a view from above. You know that aging thing start losing hair where you want it and growing it where you don’t.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:

You know that aging thing start losing hair where you want it and growing it where you don’t.

D[/quote]

I hear ya on that one. Why do I need hair on my shoulder blades, shoulders, backs of my arms… why? CURSES!!!

Cut it short and get your scalp used to some time in the sun and it’ll look better later if you do end up losing more. Especially if you have light hair. If you’re really dark haired with really pale skin, I’m sorry! hahah Plus, if its shorter, it’s less likely to pull out as easily!

My hairline has had a gradual recession, but luckily its not terrible so far (I’m 30). I could be like my brother in law who had a full thick head of hair and then lost the majority of it in about three years in his early 20s. Now he clips it short and I cant imagine seeing him with hair. Of course, he’s blonde and that helps.

Whatever you do though, learn to accept it. Dont be one of those guys who grow it long in the back or tries to comb over. It only makes them look foolish.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Proscar, instead of propecia.

Cut it up into four sections (should be 5 to get 1mg doses, but I’m not that good).

Take one piece (1.25 mg) per night. It stops further loss.

Rogaine works to regrow for some men, and is now over the counter. Dutasteride is a new oral alternative to finasteride (propecia) and is supposedly more effective at regrowing hair.[/quote]

This is your answer. I’m of the mind that I like hair. I don’t want to look like Mr. Clean…AT ALL.

I think I’m going bald too but no one believes me. My hairline as definitely receded a bit and thinned in the front. I used to have a widow’s peak, but no more. lol I think my hairline has receded mostly due to contstant Hard Hat wearing, but I’m not sure if it has that effect. Any ideas???

I too have always been known for my hair, yet I really am starting to care less and less. If/when I do go bald, I’ll probably try one of those hair systems, just to see what it looks like. If I don’t like it, I’ll bic my head and see what that looks like. Although, I do have a big head and I’m not sure how I’ll look bald.

Mr. BK,

**WARNING!
Very Helpful Post Below:

Except for the helpful post of nephorm, the advice of “just shave it” or “get over it” from these bald guys just, ah… isn’t, um…cutting it.

I am 39, and like you, I didn’t start to lose my hair until I was about 32/33. My family has been in the health food biz since mid-80’s, and, believe me, I tried EVERYTHING imaginable (high doses of biotin, Shen Min topical & pills, etc.), but it wasn’t until about a year later of consistent, distressing hairloss that my barber said, “Son, when are you finally going to give Nioxin a try?” (He’d been bagering me for about 3 months as I’d complain about it.)

'Nuff said.

After about 3 or 4 days of using the Nioxin Cleanser AND the Scalp Therapy (very important to use both, BTW, daily), I noticed a drastic decrease in hairloss (the kit came with a thing sorta like a drain plug so that you could tell if it was working or not), and after 2 to 3 weeks, voila, my hair stopped falling out altogether.

Some guys say that it has helped them regrow their hair, but it hasn’t worked out that way for me.

However, since 2000, I’ve kept the same amount of hair on me head, and that’s good enough for me.

Please, for your own good, don’t listen to these folks who tell you you can’t do anything about it. Give it a try. You can get it from your barber, or any major beauty supply store like Trade Secrets, etc. (It is a little expensive, but, hey, this is your hair we’re talkin’ about!)

For the record, no, I am in no way connected to that industry, and in no way do I make any money from the sale of Nioxin products.

I just love the fact that people consistently guess me to be 30-31 years old. Why? Because I STILL HAVE HAIR!

Also, what nephorm said about the finasteride is right on. I also used it for a couple of months, and it also helped.

Hope that helps, and best wishes!

• Gohan

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Try to age like bruce willis. He seemed to handle it well.[/quote]

It’s funny you mention him because when I truly noticed what he looked like while losing his hair, it suddenly did not bother me any more.

Whatever you do, don’t continue to keep it long once it really begins to go. All that ends up doing is making the thinning part just that much more noticeable.

[quote]Gohan wrote:
Please, for your own good, don’t listen to these folks who tell you you can’t do anything about it. Give it a try. You can get it from your barber, or any major beauty supply store like Trade Secrets, etc. (It is a little expensive, but, hey, this is your hair we’re talkin’ about!)
[/quote]

But the point most people are making is less about “you can’t do anything about it” (since there is a range of treatments you can use) and more that it is just not that important in the end, especially given the fact that we live in a Golden Age for baldness. It’s just a part of life. I would rather be like this than be forced into using special shampoos, creams and pills for the rest of my life in order to keep some damn hair.

Stay strong my chrome-headed brethren.

[quote]Gohan wrote:
I just love the fact that people consistently guess me to be 30-31 years old. Why? Because I STILL HAVE HAIR![/quote]

I just wanted to say that I have never judged someone’e age on whether they shave their head or not. I know some OLD looking guys who still have their hair. I also know some young looking guys who shave their’s off. Your facial features are what denote age more than anything.

Of course, walking around with a tuft of hair growing out of the top of your head that you have tried to wrap around your entire skull 4 times DOES make you look older.

I was sad when my hair started to go, so I shaved it and I like that much better and it’s take me 10 minutes to shave it so that’s it’s not noticable.

This comment is not meant for the OP, it’s just a general observation. If more men would care about their physique and overall health, than they do about losing their hair. The world would be a better place. I guess I just don’t understand this fascination with hair. Ok, it’s hair, big deal. In the long run, losing your hair isn’t going to harm your health. But not taking care of your body will.

I think men should look in the mirror and say, “Holy shit, i’ve got a big set of love handles and flabby manboobs!” And not, “holy shit, i’m losing my hair.”

If you are in great shape, sure, you can worry about losing your hair. But if you are outta shape and unhealthy, losing your hair should be the least of your worries.

Hey bro. Listen. If it hasn’t happened already, watch out for the sunburn on the top of the head. Your thick hair blocked the sun for the most part, but now that you are balding, if you’re not careful, the sun will do a number on your scalp.

I remember going to the beach the first time in a long time after my hair started falling out and I burned badly. Ouch!

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Try to age like bruce willis. He seemed to handle it well.[/quote]

Isn’t his hot wife sleeping with a younger man?