Im Embarrassed by my Bench Press..

i bench less than my bw and im xxl.47 yrs old…it just doesnt go up…do i bench more often or bench less? help i just wanna bench like 275 again in my lifetime…thats all im asking…
thank you

Losing bodyfat would help if thats an issue for you.

usually its one of a couple of things. Technique, post a video and we will help. Programming, if you just go in and do the max everytime or have you been using a credible program, or have you been program jumping. Nutrition, how many grams of protein do you consume? What kind of carbs are you eating…etc…

just be a little more specific and we will get you on track.

[quote]phatphit wrote:
i bench less than my bw and im xxl.47 yrs old…it just doesnt go up…do i bench more often or bench less? help i just wanna bench like 275 again in my lifetime…thats all im asking…
thank you[/quote]

wait, your name is spelled "PH"at"Ph"it, and you want to press “like” 275#… you must be on the cusp of cool man… lol

ok so more or less? well you didn’t specify how often you DO bench so how are we to tell? and 275 isn’t much. Shoot for 3 wheels man - 315. If you are in fact 47 you got many years left of kicking ass.

I have started doing quite a bit of bench variations and arm work recently because i realized it is making me look much more swole and asthetic.

cusp, man im there…i hav been doin more cardio to get weight off but still id like to bench more. my programming is kinda soso really. but i do bench maybe every 5-6 days…hell i benched more in high school…3 wheels would be great.

Not a powerlifter. I’m only 19 and have been training for about 6 years only 145lbs. I never trained the bench press seriously it it was a lift that I slways had trouble going up for me and I didn’t see how people got there bench press up significantly higher by bench pressing. Haha sounds stupid.

But anyways… For advice, try learning a lift called the “side press” or even the “bent press”. They’re popular in kettle bell circles and are oldtime strong man lifts. As my bent press went up my bench press went up the same amount (25lbs). I’m planning on trying it again really soon. Not a bad trade off, 25 lb increase with out even doing the lift plus all the athleticism and waist strength you get from the bent and/or side presses.

It just makes sense too… The bench press is really about “grounding” your upper back into the bench than “pushing up”, using your lats to press… In the side press that’s exactly what your doing. Your learn how to use the lats as a “shelf” and create incredible amounts of tension. The lats and waist are now the prime movers. Try it out see how it goes :). And anyone else who doesn’t powerlift seriously or is stuck on their bench pressing all the benefits of the bench press (strength wise pretty much) but with the benefit of strength were strength really matters…

If you are serious about it I would look into a good program. Most can forest gump their way to 225-255 but to get around 300 it takes good technique and smart training. go to youtube look up “so you think you can bench” learn the correct technique. Then get a good program. 5/3/1, sheiko, westside, juggernaut, Joshstrength, etc…Most of these are either free or a $20 ebook.

I am a horrible presser but I worked with Josh Bryant and within 24 weeks I was pressing for 2 reps what I maxed. Before that 5/3/1 got me to 297 from 195 where I started in a years time. All I did was follow the programs as written! That is the most important thing, some programs allow for some changes but overall if you do the programs as written you will succeed. $20 is less than a pre workout supplement and can put you on track to your goal.

Also eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

so technique, programming, and nutrition. Simple. Works.

Good luck.

Eat the right way. Sleep more. Lift smart. That’s all there really is to it.

CS

Post your normal bench routine.

Start benching every day and keep adding weight to the bar! Do 6 out of 7 days a week with squats and the bench!

[quote]irond wrote:
Start benching every day and keep adding weight to the bar! Do 6 out of 7 days a week with squats and the bench![/quote]

Your avitar is epic, your advice is NOT.