I'm Eating...Eating...AND EATING

ok well today i experimented on eating and finding things to eat. well for breakfast i had:
egg whites with a mixture of vegetables, and a peanu butter and jelly sandwich on 7 grain bread(whole wheat) and a cup or 2 of milk. then after a while a hid like a before lunch snack which was another peanut butter and jelly sandwich(whole wheat bread).
For lunch i had 3 Oz. of beef tenderloin, and rice with vegetables, and a cup of green tea. Then after for a snack a ate a handful of peanuts.
And for Dinner i ate:
a Chicken sandwich with tomatoes lettuce, and mustard (whole wheat bread), And now for a late night snack i ate some string cheese.

I dont know if this is a really stupid diet or if im doing good just that i need to add more stuff or take some stuff out. PLease anybody that can help me out i would highly appreciate it.

I am currently reading the Massive eating threads gaining more knowledge. Ohh by the why throughout the day im always drinking water. And just if it helps im 5’7" at 125 lbs.

Thank you everybody!!

[quote]mateirox23 wrote:
I dont know if this is a really stupid diet or if im doing good just that i need to add more stuff or take some stuff out. PLease anybody that can help me out i would highly appreciate it. [/quote]

Well a smart diet to one is an innappropriate diet to another. There’s nothing to base a view on. What are your goals? Presumably, you’re trying to bulk-up?

On this web site there are vast resources that discuss diet / exercise based upon specific goals (strength / size / sport). John Berardi is very strong on nutrition, so you might want to search for his articles.

Forgive me, but I don’t know your gender. For a male, 125 LB is quite small, so I would imagine you are indeed trying to bulk-up. Are you following any kind of workout plan, so your body can wisely use this extra food? Again, there are tons of great programs on here (in a sense - too many, it confuses me for sure).

A recent posting includes a spreadsheet for all of Chad Waterbury’s workout plans. The man carries some authority - you only have to read his articles to become convinced he knows what he’s talking about! (I’ve just scrapped a plan I was following from a book I bought, and am pursuing one of his workouts now). The spreadsheet suggests an order to try these programs - they may be of interest to you if you’re not following a plan now? Find the recent posting and scroll through the messages - the spreadsheet is now available for immediate download.

Good luck, whatever your goals may be. :slight_smile:

WiZlon

[quote]WiZlon wrote:
The spreadsheet suggests an order to try these programs - they may be of interest to you if you’re not following a plan now? Find the recent posting and scroll through the messages - the spreadsheet is now available for immediate download.
[/quote]

What forum is this spreadsheet in?

[ Mod Note: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=615935 ]

[quote]WiZlon wrote:
mateirox23 wrote:
I dont know if this is a really stupid diet or if im doing good just that i need to add more stuff or take some stuff out. PLease anybody that can help me out i would highly appreciate it.

Well a smart diet to one is an innappropriate diet to another. There’s nothing to base a view on. What are your goals? Presumably, you’re trying to bulk-up?

On this web site there are vast resources that discuss diet / exercise based upon specific goals (strength / size / sport). John Berardi is very strong on nutrition, so you might want to search for his articles.

I am currently reading the Massive eating threads gaining more knowledge. Ohh by the why throughout the day im always drinking water. And just if it helps im 5’7" at 125 lbs.

Forgive me, but I don’t know your gender. For a male, 125 LB is quite small, so I would imagine you are indeed trying to bulk-up. Are you following any kind of workout plan, so your body can wisely use this extra food? Again, there are tons of great programs on here (in a sense - too many, it confuses me for sure).

A recent posting includes a spreadsheet for all of Chad Waterbury’s workout plans. The man carries some authority - you only have to read his articles to become convinced he knows what he’s talking about! (I’ve just scrapped a plan I was following from a book I bought, and am pursuing one of his workouts now). The spreadsheet suggests an order to try these programs - they may be of interest to you if you’re not following a plan now? Find the recent posting and scroll through the messages - the spreadsheet is now available for immediate download.

Good luck, whatever your goals may be. :slight_smile:

WiZlon[/quote]

Yeah im a guy, and yeah im really skinny i dont have a tendency to get fat, but im reading the massive eating articles by John B and thats really helping me out. Well i bought Ian King’s book The book of Muscles and it gives me a pretty large routine, i had a thread before this one asking ppl’s opinions on the book and if the routines were any good, but i just started reading Chad Waterbury’s articles and i downloaded his Excel thing that gives you a bunch of different routines specifically for building muscle and developing strength and i really like it, but first i need to see what ppl say about the Ian king book.

To me it does not seem like enough food. What happens between Lunch and Dinner? What do you eat after dinner? How about some protein powder? 5’7" and 125 is very skinny, but keep eating and working out. What is your age? If you are under 18 just eat and don’t worry too much.

If I was you, I would skip the massive eating. You are really skinny; just eat a lot and put on some weight.

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:
If I was you, I would skip the massive eating. You are really skinny; just eat a lot and put on some weight. [/quote]

I agree with this. I also don’t believe this kid needs a protein powder at all, not at under 130lbs. Stick to trying to eat several times a day, but trying to eat as clean as you are considering the state you are in is a mistake. There are people who don’t eat like that when trying to lose weight. I know it sounds nice for everyone to act as if all someone needs is massive amounts of oatmeal and chicken breasts, but in someone with a much faster metabolism, especially someone startng out this light in body weight, this advice is taking it a step too far.

This kid should be eating WHOLE eggs unless he has issues with high cholesterol. He should be eating beef, and I’m sorry, if that comes in the form of a Big Mac a few times a week, is anyone out there really going to act as if this is a negative that should be avoided in his condition?

The first rule: There are no snacks when gaining in bodybuilding. String Cheese? That could have been another meal.

This is not about getting someone to only eat junk food. It is about making the distinction between different metabolisms and body types. The teenager logging on who is post-anorexic claiming a body weight less than most second grade school girls should not be told to avoid whole eggs, or beef in large amounts, or the occasional freaking pizza. Make knowledge about healthy food choices your FOUNDATION, but don’t make this some “black or white” issue where you either eat steal milled oats and plain tuna all of the time OR only eat cheeseburgers all of the time.

There is a gray area and some of you act as if it doesn’t exist…or shouldn’t.

Okay, I’m not trying to come on here and pretend that I am very knowledgeable, because I am not, but I thought I would offer the following suggestion.

Some people are skinny not because they have a fast metabolism, but because they don’t ever have much of an appetite. mateirox23 thinks he is eating massive amounts of food, even though he is not. Protein powder is an easy way to get a bunch of extra calories in if you are someone who just can’t stomach a lot of food. It doesn’t register like food the same way pizza or oatmeal would. Plus you can add fat to it to make it even more calorie dense.

I know a guy who was very skinny because he just didn’t have much of an appetite, yet went on to become a national level bodybuilder (completely natural). The only way he could get the calories in was to consume four protein shakes a day, between his regular meals, with four scoops of protein in each shake. That might sound crazy, but it worked for him.

Just an idea.

[quote]JPBear wrote:
Some people are skinny not because they have a fast metabolism, but because they don’t ever have much of an appetite.
[/quote]

I think the two often go hand in hand. Most of us didn’t have large appetites when we first got into bodybuilding. I remember being in high school and forcing myself to eat a bowl of cereal in the mornings because I had no appetite. It isn’t like we all just jumped into this and started eating 6 times a day with each meal being twice the size of normal. It took work and building up to that in terms of tolerance. I try to get down 2 protein a shakes a day now on top of everything else. However, at a bodyweight under 130lbs, I feel the goal should be an attempt to get your body to adjust to the greater food intake. It will only get harder the bigger he gets.

I, like Materoix, don’t eat that much. I’m 17, 5’4" and 130 lbs. I just started trying to eat large two weeks ago, but its hard as hell. I just don’t have the appetite but I’m working on it. What helps me out is eating foods that are slightly higher in fat than normal (and taste better)but have good protein, like lots of pizza.

Breakfast is usually good, I can get lots of carbs and protein in, usually milk, a banana, & a bagel with cottage cheese but there’s no way that in the near future I’ll be able to eat 6-7 meals a day without a little cheating. I just get full and my appetite is diminished quickly. But i’m working on it.

[quote]Navers wrote:
I just get full and my appetite is diminished quickly. But i’m working on it.[/quote]

Good job, and it does get easier over time. There is no way I could have eaten as much food when I first started as I do now. It is a gradual process with your choices made in terms of food being reliant on the progress you make in the gym.

[quote]Navers wrote:
What helps me out is eating foods that are slightly higher in fat than normal (and taste better)but have good protein, like lots of pizza.
[/quote]

This is a good key for those kids who have a hard time eating more. Substitute calorie dense foods at every opportunity. Like ProfX said, whole eggs. Use peanut butter on everything; if you use milk, use whole milk. Regular cottage cheese. The list is endless.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

This kid should be eating WHOLE eggs unless he has issues with high cholesterol. He should be eating beef, and I’m sorry, if that comes in the form of a Big Mac a few times a week, is anyone out there really going to act as if this is a negative that should be avoided in his condition?

[/quote]

wise words from the professor. We usually dont see eye to eye on a lot of things, but for this i wholeheartedly agree. Infact, i made that statement and the forum members chewed me out. but comming from the professor, maybe it will have some effect.

My suggestions:

1. Forget the Massive Eating Diet for now (sorry JB). You need to get on the “See Food Diet.” This diet is pretty simple, if you see food, you eat it. Pretty straightforward right?

2. Add one gallon of whole milk a day to your diet immediately. This along with eating everything that comes within your ocular field should get you tippin those scales in no time.

Mr. Bear wrote:
If I was you, I would skip the massive eating. You are really skinny; just eat a lot and put on some weight.

I agree with this. I also don’t believe this kid needs a protein powder at all, not at under 130lbs. Stick to trying to eat several times a day, but trying to eat as clean as you are considering the state you are in is a mistake. There are people who don’t eat like that when trying to lose weight. I know it sounds nice for everyone to act as if all someone needs is massive amounts of oatmeal and chicken breasts, but in someone with a much faster metabolism, especially someone startng out this light in body weight, this advice is taking it a step too far.

The first rule: There are no snacks when gaining in bodybuilding. String Cheese? That could have been another meal.

This is not about getting someone to only eat junk food. It is about making the distinction between different metabolisms and body types. The teenager logging on who is post-anorexic claiming a body weight less than most second grade school girls should not be told to avoid whole eggs, or beef in large amounts, or the occasional freaking pizza. Make knowledge about healthy food choices your FOUNDATION, but don’t make this some “black or white” issue where you either eat steal milled oats and plain tuna all of the time OR only eat cheeseburgers all of the time.

There is a gray area and some of you act as if it doesn’t exist…or shouldn’t.[/quote]

I have been hinting at this with recent posts. Gaining massive amounts of fat, much like losing massive amounts of fat, takes dedication. Do not disregard physical health, but understand that “cheat” foods can often be advantageous when bulking. They allow you to eat less while still getting big time calories.

Eat some whole eggs, peanut butter, ice cream and burgers. Bulking diets that are restrictive usually do not work.

[quote]Mr. Bear wrote:

Eat some whole eggs, peanut butter, ice cream and burgers. Bulking diets that are restrictive usually do not work. [/quote]

How does this apply to people that are already a little chunky to begin with? I am not lean but would like to put on more muscle. I am doing a clean bulk and have stayed away from ice cream, burgers and such but am eating 2-3 whole eggs a day along with cottage cheese,etc.

Is it better for me to do an unclean bulk and worry about the fatloss later? For that matter is it healthy?

[quote]Aravind wrote:
Mr. Bear wrote:

Eat some whole eggs, peanut butter, ice cream and burgers. Bulking diets that are restrictive usually do not work.

How does this apply to people that are already a little chunky to begin with? I am not lean but would like to put on more muscle. I am doing a clean bulk and have stayed away from ice cream, burgers and such but am eating 2-3 whole eggs a day along with cottage cheese,etc.

Is it better for me to do an unclean bulk and worry about the fatloss later? For that matter is it healthy?[/quote]

Well, I would normally say yes and here is why. You are going to gain fat when you bulk up, plain and simple. If you are looking to put on around ten pounds are so, I think plans such as massive eating are great. But if you are looking to really put on some pounds, and you are dedicated to dieting down, then why not eat some value meals and pizza along the way.

I think prof alluded to having a nutritional foundation earlier; this is a good point. It is important to have a solid understanding of nutrition and macronutrients. But once you have this understanding, it isn’t about choosing “health” or “junk” and only eating one or the other. For example, I usually eat a cup of oatmeal and two scoops of protein for breakfast, pasta and chicken at lunch, but then I might stop by Mcdonalds later that night to pick up a couple double cheeseburgers. Not so long ago, I would have been mad at myself for a couple days for such “indulgence.” But now I realize it is nearly impossible to eat a “clean” 5000 calories day in and day out without eating “cheat” foods. It’s been minimized lately, but calories in minus calories out is still the main part of the equation when it comes to gaining or losing weight.

You said you were already chunky…I think JB says that people above 15% will gain more fat when they bulk, so that is something to consider. It all depends on your goals, though. If you want to get leaner, or not gain much fat, stuff like massive eating is effective.

As for health, before you started training, were you concerned about the health risks of eating peanut butter?

[quote]Aravind wrote:

Is it better for me to do an unclean bulk and worry about the fatloss later? For that matter is it healthy?[/quote]

Your question implies that you didn’t understand what was written. No one has recommended an “unclean bulk”. this is not an “either or” situation. This isn’t about eating junk OR eating clean. It is about understanding that everyone can’t make solid gains consistently while ONLY eating what most eat when dieting.

If I eat eggs for breakfast, a protein shake two hours later, rice and beef for lunch, another protein shake two hours later and then stop off for a hamburger on the way home…has this been an “unclean bulk”?

Comon guys,
there are some great articles on food eating and bulking on this site and I have yet to see one that says eat shit.

Lets face it you need good nutrition to bulk real weight not blubber.

good solid foods oats for breakfast with omlets made with whole eggs put some makeral in there. whole milk,meat fish baked potatoe’s rice, vegetables and fruits, have some ice cream as you can afford the calories. Snack on mixed nuts and fruit, find a good MRP with clean ingredients not just suger.

As for adding lots of muscle the best thing I would recommend is “super Squats” book.
This kid has asked a good question give him good advise.

Eat 6 to 8 times per day 300 to 500 calories per meal and make them count start at 06:00 with oatmeal and eggs protein powder 300 cals of good food will do much more for solid body weight and he will be ready for more real food sooner. Eat every 2 hours set an alarm if needed good luck dude eat train rest sleep 8 hours.

Aravind wrote:

Is it better for me to do an unclean bulk and worry about the fatloss later? For that matter is it healthy?

Your question implies that you didn’t understand what was written. No one has recommended an “unclean bulk”. this is not an “either or” situation. This isn’t about eating junk OR eating clean. It is about understanding that everyone can’t make solid gains consistently while ONLY eating what most eat when dieting.

If I eat eggs for breakfast, a protein shake two hours later, rice and beef for lunch, another protein shake two hours later and then stop off for a hamburger on the way home…has this been an “unclean bulk”?[/quote]

That was a very good point.

About how many “cheat/unclean” meals do you recommend per day/week for underweight individuals looking to gain muscle mass??